[net.women] Abortion - Men's Rights

welsch@houxu.UUCP (Larry Welsch) (03/27/84)

This article is not against abortion, rather, I argue that the decision to
abort is not the mother's decision alone.  The decision should be a joint
decision between the mother and father.

I agree that while the mother carries the fetus, the decision about the
event to potentialy have the fetus in the first place was made by both
parties, ie. the decision to have sexual intercourse.  It is well known
that only two birth control methods really work, one is sterilization and
the other is abstinance.  With all others, there is finite chance of
pregnancy.

Sexual intercourse if done of free will contains an implicit contract for
both parties.  In the case of no pregnancy, the contract becomes null and
void, but in the case of pregnancy then the contract is that if either
party wants the fetus then the mother must birth the child and both
parents are responsible for support.

As for the argument of about control over bodies, I argue that,

	a.  No body has ever used this argument against the draft,

	b.  No body has ever used this argument against the death penalty,

	c.  No body has absolute control over their body.

					Larry Welsch
					houxu!welsch

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (03/28/84)

> Sexual intercourse if done of free will contains an implicit contract for
> both parties.  In the case of no pregnancy, the contract becomes null and
> void, but in the case of pregnancy then the contract is that if either
> party wants the fetus then the mother must birth the child and both
> parents are responsible for support.

As far as I know the only valid contracts in the name of the law are written
contracts or oral contracts.  As far  as I know too, a contract is an
agreement between a group of people who are aware that they are making such
an agreement.  In the case you suggested, it seems that if the mother never
mentioned the contract beforehand, and had no intention of ever agreeing to
this type of contract if asked by anybody, then it never existed except in the
mind of the father; so  what is an "implicit" contract?
a nonentity that people use to justify things they cannot justify otherwise.

I consider this argument to be a non-argument, and as far as I can tell
again, the only way you can stop somebody from breaking a contract is to have
some proof that the contract existed - which makes it very hard to enforce
oral contracts btw.  In the case of the contract you mentioned, it seems that
if that contract was not oral or written then it does not exist.  ESP doesn't
count.

Your argument is good enough to make a few people feel very guilty about
rejecting non-existing unwritten unsaid contract, but it does not stand up
in any court of justice.  It is just a non-argument cleverly hidden behind
legalistic verbiage.

				Sophie Quigley
			...!{decvax,allegra}!watmath!saquigley

gam@proper.UUCP (Gordon Moffett) (03/30/84)

> From: welsch@houxu.UUCP (Larry Welsch)

> Sexual intercourse if done of free will contains an implicit contract for
> both parties.  In the case of no pregnancy, the contract becomes null and
> void, but in the case of pregnancy then the contract is that if either
> party wants the fetus then the mother must birth the child ...

I disagree with this entirely.  Men are not obligated to donate sperm
against their will, why should a woman be obligated to bear a child
if only the man wants it?

Your `implicit contract' is arbitrary.  Why doesn't the `implicit
contract' state that its solely the woman's choice?

The woman and the woman alone should have the choice to bear
a child or not.  It would be nice if the father's feelings were
considered, but I do believe women have the right to control their
bodies, including reproductively.

It is one of the unfairnesses of this world that women bear children
and men do not.  It is perhaps unfair that women should have this
choice -- this authority! -- but the alternative is society's
tyrranical control of the individual's body.

> As for the argument of about control over bodies, I argue that,
>
> 	a.  No body has ever used this argument against the draft,

I do.

> 	b.  No body has ever used this argument against the death penalty,

I do.

> 	c.  No body has absolute control over their body.

`c.' is an empty statement.

If a man desparately wants a child, he should find a woman would wants
to bear it (including `rent-a-moms'), or wait for medical technology
to advance to allow him to bear it.