[net.women] Feminism and a double standard

chrism@orca.UUCP (02/13/84)

This seems like a good newsgroup in which to resolve this issue:

There is a "Ms. X" who works for a company that shall remain nameless.
She is bright, relatively good-looking and exudes a very professional
manner.  She is also a feminist and is very protective of her rights.
Ms. X works in marketing.

By chance I happened to pass an informal meeting while Ms. X made a
pitch to an older man who was interested in our product.  What amazed
me was that Ms. X used blatant sexuality as a tool to cajole the customer.
It was smooth, obvious and planned.  Also, the customer seemed to really
soak it up;  he showed every indication of letting Ms. X's
methods be an influence on his decision making.  Later I was told
that this was a common practice by Ms. X, and that it was very
effective.  Incredible!

I was bothered by what I considered the unprofessionalism of both
Ms. X and the customer.  What really irked me, however, was the
double standard I perceived in Ms. X's behavior.

I called up an old, reasonably progressive friend of mine and outlined
the situation for her.  Basically, she told me the problem lay more
in my outdated moral standards than in the actions of Ms. X.  There
was nothing wrong, I was told, in using "femaleness" as a tool for
leverage. She made a distinction between this and outright selling
of sex, which she conceded was unethical.  My problem, I was told,
that I was still living in the 19th century, and felt bothered and
threatened by a successful woman.  "Wake up to the real world!" was
her parting remark.

Needless to say I was not too happy with that analysis.  So, recently I
have been watching very closely for similar situations and (surprise!) they
abound.  Nor is the situation particularly one-sided.  I have
seen plenty of men use these same tactics on women business associates.
Generally however, the men who do this are macho types who make no
pretense of relating to woman on any other level.  Many of their
woman counterparts, however, are self-proclaimed feminists like
Ms. X, and thus are guilty of hypocrisy on top of everything else.

So, the issue is clear.  Is this appropriate behavior in a professional
environment?  Or is the problem my archaic ethical system, and should
I pack up my computer and emigrate to Iran, where I belong?

	Chris Minson
	..!tektronix!orca!chrism

pc@hplabsb.UUCP (Patricia Collins) (02/21/84)

AGHH!!  I want to scream when I hear people selling out their beliefs for
money.  I have been declared a hopeless idealist by more than one person,
but I just can't imagine turning on those "feminine wiles" to make a sale!
I have written letters to manufacturers who try to sell their wares by
selling a woman's body (or face).  I am not sold by diversionary tactics,
but apparently some people still are.

I am convinced (not by experience) that that marketing person could do
just as well PROFESSIONALLY without resorting to selling her femininity.

	However, feminists are people with beliefs.  They are not perfect
in adhering to their own standards any more than a priest might be.  I
don't think it would be appropriate to condemn the cause because its
proponents are imperfect in living the life they advocate.

	Thanks for your input.

						Patricia Collins

jamcmullan@watmath.UUCP (Judy McMullan) (02/22/84)

     >...Ms. X made a pitch to an older man who was interested in our
     >product.  What amazed me was that Ms. X used blatant sexuality as
     >a tool to cajole the customer.  It was smooth, obvious and
     >planned.  Also, the customer seemed to really soak it up;  he
     >showed every indication of letting Ms. X's methods be an
     >influence on his decision making. ...  I was bothered by what I
     >considered the unprofessionalism of both Ms. X and the customer.
     >What really irked me, however, was the double standard I
     >perceived in Ms. X's behavior. ... I have seen plenty of men use
     >these same tactics on women business associates. ...

A very tricky situation. I tend to avoid using this tactic because I don't
want to deal with the possible consequences (e.g. customer tries to date
me and then I must make him mad by rejecting him). I am not in marketing,
though. They seem to use whatever they can to influence customers!

Perhaps she has the attitude that if the customer is willing fall for
this sort of thing, it is his own fault for letting himself be "used" this way.
If she can walk the balance, more power to her!

Personally, I avoid any indication that I am a "sex object", at work. I try
to stay "professional" (or as professional as one can be wearing a "Great
Canadian Bicycle Rally" t-shirt and jeans with one embarrassing hole -- I'm
gonna buy some new ones soon, honest -- it's just that I hate shopping).

   --from the sssstickkky keyboard of J.A.M.
   ...!{allegra|decvax}!watmath!jamcmullan

heretyk@abnjh.UUCP (S. Heretyk) (02/23/84)

This discussion is a perfect example of viewing women as sex objects;
you're the one with the problem.
Shelley Heretyk

tll@druxu.UUCP (LaidigTL) (02/24/84)

> This discussion is a perfect example of viewing women as sex objects;
> you're the one with the problem.
> Shelley Heretyk

Huh?  Is this to say that, when a group of feminists complain about a
scantily clad woman in a commercial, these feminists have the problem?
By your argument, they must, since they are viewing the woman in the
commercial as a sex object.

There are two possibilities when someone is viewed as a sex object:
either the viewer is imposing sexuality on the viewed person, or the
viewed person is broadcasting sexuality.  Unless you disbelieve the
original poster (if you do, I'd like to know why), the case described is
the latter.

The question is whether or not it's OK for someone (whose ideal is not
to be viewed as a sex object) to try to make others view ser (him/her --
from net.nlang) as a sex object in order to make a sale.

		Tom Laidig
		AT&T Information Systems Laboratories, Denver
		...!ihnp4!druxu!tll

metcalf@inmet.UUCP (02/25/84)

#R:orca:-58200:inmet:10900052:000:521
inmet!metcalf    Feb 24 11:39:00 1984

Could you be more explicit about what Ms. X was doing to persuade
the customer? This is not voyeurism, (At least I think it is not),
I'm just curious.
Not knowing any more of the details, my feeling would be that
such manipulation was degrading (to both parties) and morally
objectionable.
On the other hand, I'm not very good at manipulating people in any
way. Perhaps if I were more skilled at making people do what I
wanted them to (by any means) I would be less offended by other
people who use such tactics.

bmg@tekecs.UUCP (02/26/84)

What's wrong with the double standard?  I say you use every technique
available to you to best get your job done.

I am a female engineer, and if I can persuade someone to put in extra effort
on a project simply by my flirting with him, why shouldn't I?  Generally it
is very easy for me to tell if a coworker prefers to deal in a strictly
professonal attitude, or if mutual flirting is the best relationship.  This
is usually established within the first few hours.

There are a lot of people at work who do not take women engineers very
seriously.  But my limited experience of 8 years has shown that these are
the very people I can manipulate the easiest.  At first they tend to ignore
me, pretent I'm not around.  But when I start flirting with them - they
almost instantly have time for me.  Once I have their attention, I can start
discussing work, and the occasional flirting keeps them interested.  If I
need them to do some work for me, I usually estimate how long it will take,
and then challenge them to get it done in half the time.   Promises of my
returning to find if they did complete the work, and possibly some other
reward has almost always produced the results in half the time!  I have
NEVER provided any reward besides a big smile and a kind word.  Also, if
they repeatedly produce good work, a word to their manager always helps.

Before I get misquoted, note I stated above that my attitude depends on the
attitude of the person I am dealing with.  90% of my coworkers are treated
as equals, but the few macho people who seem to act as if women should stay
in the home are the ones this works on.  For those people, I know I have the
edge.  Why shouldn't I take advantage of it?

			- Barbara Theus

chrism@orca.UUCP (02/27/84)

Barbara Theus writes:

<...(it) is very easy for me to tell if a coworker prefers to deal in a strictly
<professonal attitude, or if mutual flirting is the best relationship.  This
<is usually established within the first few hours.

I have noticed the existence of these two classes of people as well.
There is occasional crossover between the two groups (witness the number
of inter-Tek marriages), but generally men and women seem to consistently
follow one of these two sets of attitudes consistently.  However....

<There are a lot of people at work who do not take women engineers very
<seriously.  But my limited experience of 8 years has shown that these are
<the very people I can manipulate the easiest.  At first they tend to ignore
<me, pretent I'm not around.  But when I start flirting with them - they
<almost instantly have time for me.

Yes, there a lot of people who do not take women engineers seriously
and it also seems to be the case that these are the types who are most
easily manipulated.  However, just because they are vulnerable to this type
of manipulation, does that mean you should take advantage of it?  Does that
not undermine your own credibility as well?  These people do not
take women professionals seriously simply because they do not view women
as professionals.  Thus, when you do not deal with them in a strictly
professional manner, your own actions implicitly reinforce their
opinion of women professionals in general.

<Before I get misquoted, note I stated above that my attitude depends on the
<attitude of the person I am dealing with.  90% of my coworkers are treated
<as equals, but the few macho people who seem to act as if women should stay
<in the home are the ones this works on.  For those people, I know I have the
<edge.  Why shouldn't I take advantage of it?

It is this kind of attitude that is one of the biggest barriers to acceptance
of women in business.  You are merely confirming the opinion of the
chauvinistic minority and thus increasing its power.

		Chris Minson

P.S. Despite numerous offers of free passports, turbans and airline
     tickets, I still haven't left for Tehran yet.  Oregon is a much
     nicer place.

ariels@orca.UUCP (02/27/84)

This article contains quotes of quotes (><), quotes (>) and my
comments on the quotes.

Chris Minson writes:

> Barbara Theus writes:

><There are a lot of people at work who do not take women engineers very
><seriously.  But my limited experience of 8 years has shown that these are
><the very people I can manipulate the easiest.  At first they tend to ignore
><me, pretent I'm not around.  But when I start flirting with them - they
><almost instantly have time for me.
>
>Yes, there a lot of people who do not take women engineers seriously
>and it also seems to be the case that these are the types who are most
>easily manipulated.  However, just because they are vulnerable to this type
>of manipulation, does that mean you should take advantage of it?  Does that
>not undermine your own credibility as well?  These people do not
>take women professionals seriously simply because they do not view women
>as professionals.  Thus, when you do not deal with them in a strictly
>professional manner, your own actions implicitly reinforce their
>opinion of women professionals in general.

Yes, but Barbara has a job to do.  We all have jobs to do.  Why
is it her responsibility to educate these men when they already
haven't paid attention to her when she's tried to be professional?
If she has to interact with them, it's easiest and least frustrating
to act as they expect her to act, which means she gets what she
needs out of them to perform her job in a timely manner.  Obviously,
she does not prefer to act that way, but if the only way that works,
she has to use it.

><Before I get misquoted, note I stated above that my attitude depends on the
><attitude of the person I am dealing with.  90% of my coworkers are treated
><as equals, but the few macho people who seem to act as if women should stay
><in the home are the ones this works on.  For those people, I know I have the
><edge.  Why shouldn't I take advantage of it?
>
>It is this kind of attitude that is one of the biggest barriers to acceptance
>of women in business.

I heartily disagree that the additude is the problem. It is not the
responsiblity of feminism to educate those who do not wish to be
educated.  I can't think of any feminist (female) I know who does
not prefer to interact with peers as equals, in a professional
manner.  This being the preferred method, it is tried first.  If the
man to whom they are relating does not accept this, then the woman
must try other methods, because often we must tailor our approach to
the person we are approaching, in order to GET OUR OWN JOB DONE. (read
we as all people who deal with other people).

When you use only one approach in dealing with people, then you can
require that others do the same.  I have noticed that all those who
have only one tactic for anything usually end up angry, frustrated,
and unable to get much done.

>You are merely confirming the opinion of the
>chauvinistic minority and thus increasing its power.

To whom is Barbara confirming this opinion? To those who already
hold it? Well, OK, but they'll get this opinion confirmed no matter
what.  I'm sure they've seen plenty of instances of professionalism
in women, but since they don't like it, and don't think that is the
way women should act, they just ignore women who use it.  They are
denying and will probably continue to deny the possibility that
women (and probably any other people of whom they have behavioural
expectations) can be valid human beings, and still not act the way
they (the "chauvanists") expect.

Is she confirming it to you? or to other men who are feminist or
feminist sympathisers?   Hopefully, these men realize that there are
people in the world who do not recognise behaviour that does not go
along with their expectations.  Hopefully, these men also realise
that women in professional positions have to deal with these people
on a daily basis (as do blacks, jews, orientals, or any other group
about whom assumptions have been made by the "traditional WASP
Males" who have "the power"), and to get their jobs done may have to
interact using methods that are not necessarily favored, or
"politically correct".

Barbara's behaviour as she describes it is not hypocritical.  At the
worst, its a borderline cop-out.  It's really just an admission to
one's self that the world isn't the way one would like it, but one
is living in it, so one has to make do.  But I can think of no person who
has never copped-out in this manner in order to save their own
sanity and get their job done.  And I can think of no reason that
a person should be considered "hypocritical", or "giving women
(blacks, jews, orientals...) a bad name" for using this method to
get by.

This subject shows signs of overlapping into net.philosophy territory,
since what it seems to come down to is "where does your
responsibility to yourself and your own task leave off, and your
responsibility to the movement begin?"

Ariel Shattan
..!tektronix!orca!ariels

twltims@watmath.UUCP (Tracy Tims) (02/27/84)

The thing that bothered me most about Barbara Theus' method for manipulating
men was that she seemed to enjoy doing it.  In her article she says several
times "Well, why shouldn't I?"  I didn't hear her say that she had to do this
in order for her to motivate her coworkers (a possible reason advanced
by someone responding to her article.)  In fact, she said nothing in her
article that caused me to believe that she thought about it in a balanced way.
(ie. considering the reasons why she perhaps shouldn't behave like this).
Is she a manager?  If she is then there are more legitimate forms of pressure
that can be brought to bear.  I would hate to see the workplace degenerate
to this state, where there is so little consideration for the humanity of
others.

This is a topic I get quite passionate about.  The one thing I really
dislike in people is an enjoyment in manipulation.  I have very little
respect for people with that attitude.

	Tracy Tims	{linus,allegra,decvax,utcsrgv}!watmath!twltims
			The University of Waterloo, 519-885-1211 x2730

smann@ihu1g.UUCP (Sherry Mann) (02/27/84)

According to Adrienne J. Smith, Ph.D., and Ruth F. Siegel,
Center of Flexible Therapies, Chicago, in a paper -
FEMINIST THERAPY: RETURNING POWER TO THE POWERLESS

	Under constraints of patriarch women resort to covert
	power tactics, using manipulative techniques which are
	nowhere acknowledged as power....Because women have
	been denied direct access to power, we have usually
	been described as a group _lacking_ in power....
	In fact, powerless groups do exercise power, but this
	takes on different forms than that of the dominant
	group.  Specifically, the power exercised by women
	tends to be covert, indirect, "ladylike."

	Increasing evidence indicates that the differences
	between the ways women and men express power are
	due to status rather than sex....Lower status people
	use the power of the powerless to influence those who
	are dominant over them.  Women, who are low status
	people, "get what they want" through indirect, covert
	influencing techniques, often using the assigned sex-
	role appropriate behaviors of helplessness, dependency,
	coyness and appeal to emotions.

There's more, and I realize this doesn't answer anyone's questions,
but perhaps adds more information to the discussion.  Would be
interested in reactions.

	Sherry Mann
	ihu1g!smann

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley, Univ. of Waterloo) (02/28/84)

I'd like to add a dissenting (to everything that has been said so far) voice
to this conversation by asking the following question: when during the
"business" meeting of these two people did you actually catch them doing this?
The reason for this question is the following:  being a feminist, I try to
keep sex out of my work (being a student, that's pretty easy, but I have worked
on and off) or "serious" activities as much as I can.  I have noticed, though,
that some men will not take me seriously because I am a woman and are more
interested in dealing with me as a potential sexual partner than as a work
partner.  Now if I can avoid these people, I usually do, but there are times
when I can't avoid them.  Most of the time, it is possible to move oneself
out of such situation by commenting about it to the other person "now, let's
get serious" or something like that, but there are men who no matter what, DO
NOT want to take a woman seriously as a working partner and who will not deal
with her as such.  If the woman needs the man badly, then the last thing to
do is to play along with his game and get what you want out of him.  Not doing
so would put the woman at a disadvantage by comparison to her male collegues
who can manage to have a working relationship as equal with this person and
thus get out of him what she cannot get unless she uses her "feminine" guiles.

It is deplorable to have to do this, but sometimes you have to. "This" by the
way is called prostitution.  Granted, it is a very minor form of prostitution,
but it nevertheless is.  However prostitution can be defined (although it is
not usually defined as such) as doing something which is against your principles
and desires in order to obtain something you want.  With a loose definition like
this, most of us are prostituting ourselves daily when we pretend to like our
bosses whom we hate, and so on.  "This" can also be called "compromising".
It all depends on how badly we need what we need, how much we are willing to
give up for it and how hard it is to get it other ways.

It is one thing to have an all-encompassing philosophy of life and another to be
able to apply it to every situation at hand, feminism is no different from other
philosophies for this;  there are times where it is simply foolish to stick to
your philosophy if it means you will end up being completely screwed as a result
I know that I am a feminism, but when I am trying to get something (I will not
mention what here) for which the form says "self ... wife children" and when
I end up talking to the man who gave me that form and he ends up being really
nasty to me even though he has no reason to, but he does it simply because he
has power over me because he can give me something that I need REALLY bad,
well, I will not tell him "you male chauvinist pig, give me this or I'll get
my lawyer to get you" because I can't afford a lawyer, what I will do instead
is cry and he will tell me "oh, you poor thing, there, there, I'll fix it up
for you".  It makes more sense;  People like that will never become feminists
no matter what, so the best thing to do is to get what you can from them and
then avoid them.

Coming back to the original article.  From what I can remember, the submitter
caught only part of the conversation between Ms X and her customer.  Who
knows what happened before?  maybe she realised that there was no other way
she could get her customer to sign whatever it was that she wanted him to
sign since he was only interested in dealing with her in a flirtacious way,
but didn't want to take her seriously as a businesswoman.  If she is known
for doing this, it could also be that most of the men she is dealing with are
that way too.  She then might realise that if she doesn't play along with their
foolish games, then she will not get as many customers as her male collegues
will even though she could be as good a saleswoman as they are (salesmen).
It could also be on the other hand that she is not that good a saleswoman, but
that she has noticed that she will still manage to get her customers this way,
or that she is a good saleswoman, but gets even more customers when she adds
a sexual element in her pitch.  All of these are certainly unfeminist ways of
behaving, and she is not doing women who want to be saleswomen a world of
good by acting this way, but I think it reflects more an opportunistic spirit
from her part rather than anything else.  After all, her customers do not
have to play along.  Of course none of this is really nice for her male
collegues since she is using something they cannot use, but who knows what
they are using that she cannot use, their own wife, or they could bring their
customers to strip-joints or men-only places or provide them with "escort"
services.  Using sex for business purposes has been done much before women
started being businesswomen; it is not something new, what they might be adding
is a different flavour to the kind of sex.

I guess there is not really any bottom line to this and I cannot really pass
any judgement on Ms X without knowing her (and even then, I do not think I
could, or on anybody else for that matter), but it does seem to me that matters
are not black and white in this case and that we should be careful not to
judge too quickly.

			Sophie Quigley
			watmath!saquigley

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley, Univ. of Waterloo) (02/28/84)

This is an apology for using language improperly in my previous posting on
the subject.  In french the words derived from "prostitution" are sometimes
extended to a non-sexual context, to denote, as I tried to explain in
my previous article, the action of degrading oneself.
This usage is official (I just checked the dictionary) and it is often used
to denote something benign, such as the act of pretending to like one's
boss so as to get something out of him/her.  The interpretation of "degradation"
is left to the user of the word.  I assumed the same was true in English.
As I seem to have offended some people who took it to mean that I was calling
them prostitutes, I just checked my webster and it does seem that the usage is
a bit stronger in english: "To sell (oneself, one's artistic or moral integrity,
etc..) for low or unworthy purposes.".  I am sorry if I offended anybody else,
I didn't mean to.
			Sophie Quigley
			watmath!saquigley

gulley@stolaf.UUCP (William T. Gulley) (02/28/84)

(Don't let the header fool you . .* )

CM>It is this kind of attitude that is one of the biggest barriers to acceptance
CM>of women in business.

A>I heartily disagree that the additude is the problem. It is not the
A>responsiblity of feminism to educate those who do not wish to be
A>educated.  I can't think of any feminist (female) I know who does
A>not prefer to interact with peers as equals, in a professional
A>manner.  This being the preferred method, it is tried first.  If the
A>man to whom they are relating does not accept this, then the woman
A>must try other methods, because often we must tailor our approach to
A>the person we are approaching, in order to GET OUR OWN JOB DONE. (read
A>we as all people who deal with other people).

Then why does feminism try so hard to do so?  If the object of feminism
is to take advantage of the hormonal responses of these "die hard"
non-feminists, then I see see no real distinguishable characteristic be-
tween their motives and the motives of the "die hard" non-feminists that
attempt to subject them to their attitudes.  Yeah, I know the schpiel about
"Ya gotta do what ya gotta do", and that has a lot of merit in my own
beliefs also.  Which leads to the point. .

A>Barbara's behaviour as she describes it is not hypocritical.  At the
A>worst, its a borderline cop-out.  It's really just an admission to
A>one's self that the world isn't the way one would like it, but one
A>is living in it, so one has to make do.  But I can think of no person who
A>has never copped-out in this manner in order to save their own
A>sanity and get their job done.

Regardless of what her beliefs actually are, her actions say to others
that it is undoubtedly a cop-out.  How are her motivations any different
from the motivations of that "die hard" non-feminist male superior when
he played the same necessary games in getting to his present position?
Why look at him with any disdain at all, when his basic motives in life
are practically the same as yours, only with different names and (sometimes)
different causes?

I guess an answer comes in response to the question that all of us
have to seriously face up to at least once in our lives, namely,
How much of my individuality do I want to let motivate my actions in
life? (Regardless of how much of an individual you merely FEEL like)  Anything
less than a complete acceptance of that individuality is a compromise
on yourself (not anyone else), and if you can happily live with that, that's
fine.  We all pay for our choices, one way or the other.

The only loss comes when we kid ourselves that we're something we're not. .

 ____

    Man, that felt great. .

    William Gulley - St. Olaf College - Northfield, MN 55057
    . .!inhp4!stolaf!gulley

pc@hplabsb.UUCP (Patricia Collins) (02/28/84)

re: Barbara Theus' comments

	The reason not to "take advantage" of your sexist colleagues is
that your implicit acceptance of their definition of your role will come
back to haunt you if you ever want to be "taken seriously."  If the
person who perceives you as a woman (girl?) first and engineer second
happens to be higher than you in the corporate structure, you will find
that you are evaluated first as a woman and second as an engineer.  You
may find that you are well liked and that you get less flack than a woman
who is labelled a hard core feminist (read: no fun at all), but that you
will be described as "cute; and she's not a bad engineer!" (tone:
condescension).  My colleagues who are not blatantly sexist seem to
value friendliness, but don't look for flirtatiousness.  Those who
do want to see women (and men!) in terms of some sexual stereotype are
not likely to turn that prejudice off when it comes time to consider
people for leadership, creativity, technical expertise, and professional
maturity.

	If there is any hope for getting what you want out of your career
when you have to deal with double standards, it is by taking the reigns
and redefining the rules.  When it's clear that you are an engineer first
(where your job is concerned), even the die-hards may eventually see you
as you project yourself.  [While the first paragraph comments are an
attempt at objective realism, this last statement is admittedly optimistic.]

					Patricia Collins
					hplabs

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (03/03/84)

>  Not knowing any more of the details, my feeling would be that
>  such manipulation was degrading (to both parties) and morally
>  objectionable.

Even if it was, it would be between consenting adults, and therefore
appropriate.

I have a feeling you would have a hard time convincing the woman in
this case that she was degrading herself - she sounds like the type
who knows very well what she's doing and who would resent puritanical
and condescending judgements like the above.

As for her actions being inconsistent with her feminist attitudes, sure it is,
but presumably she's human like the rest of us, and you can't blame her
(outside of the heat of an argument, anyway) for that.

                                            Jeff Winslow

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (03/06/84)

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems to me a disproportionate number
of those complaining about the woman's behavior (and supporting
statements from Barbara and Ariel) are students, who presumably have
never had to consistently deal with the problem.

Well, allow me to indulge in a gender switch in another famous saying:

"Everything is easy to the woman who doesn't have to do it herself."

please, please can't we cut out all of this sensationalism about "morality"
and "prostitution"? Can't we just admit that if someone has an ability to
better themselves, they should use it, considering that the only
objection to it is a purely theoretical political one (which in my book is no
objection at all)?

                                       the (occasionally) tolerant,
                                              Jeff Winslow

jack@rlgvax.UUCP (Jack Waugh) (03/06/84)

I don't see anything wrong with smiling and kind words
in the workplace.  Will you accuse me (a man)  of  not
being  feminist  just  because  I  enjoy an occasional
smile from a woman  co-worker?    I  take  the  little
pleasures  life  offers me unexpectedly, even if I can
relate their causes to my sexual nature.  I think that
is   not  unconsistent  with  my  view  of  myself  as
feminist.

In all work situations, I will do the best  I  can  to
promote  high  quality in my company's product (and in
my work life), no matter who smiles at me.

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) (03/06/84)

--
>>> I don't see anything wrong with smiling and kind words
>>> in the workplace.  Will you accuse me (a man)  of  not
>>> being  feminist  just  because  I  enjoy an occasional
>>> smile from a woman  co-worker?    I  take  the  little
>>> pleasures  life  offers me unexpectedly, even if I can
>>> relate their causes to my sexual nature.  I think that
>>> is   not  unconsistent  with  my  view  of  myself  as
>>> feminist.

It all depends--how do you interact with your male co-workers?
If it's not the same, then you are by definition a sexist.
Somehow this alleged feminist reminds me of Hugh Hefner, who
has even offered money to women's organizations, and whose
magazine has championed assertive, liberated women--liberated
from housework so that they can be full-time sex objects but
assertive enough (if I can recall that great scene in "Tootsie")
to be responsible for their own orgasms.

You dork!  Can't "get any" with the old macho stuff, so maybe
try a little "soft sell"?  How original.  Yes, consider yourself
accused, and while you're at it, guilty as charged.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

smann@ihu1g.UUCP (Sherry Mann) (04/04/84)

Barbara, and all women, have a responsibility to themselves
and their jobs before any responsibility to the educating of
chauvinists.  Women's use of what is being called "flirting"
to get the attention and cooperation of their co-workers is
a use of power which is at this time not highly valued in the
workplace, but at the same time, one of the fews types of power
women in the workplace have to wield.  It is no more reprehensible
than any other uses of power, simply not accepted at a conscious
level.  As women begin to develop other "more acceptable" types
of power, they will have less need to use their at the present time
unique form of power.

More power to women!

	Sherry Mann
	AT&T-BL Naperville, IL
	ihu1g!smann

nerad@closus.DEC (04/07/84)

!libation to the [p/m]atron god[dess] of mysteriae businessi (sic)

I have known many women who have been valued in business environments, not
only for their technical competance, but for their inter-personal skills.  I
am not trying to say that ALL women have better inter-personal skills than ALL
men, but I do believe that among the engineers that I know, this is a very
strong trend.

Perhaps technical women are generally better at inter-personal skills than
their male counterparts because technical disciplines are often nurtured in
the young of this country to the neglect of social skills--ergo the
stereotypical "nerd" (please, no one make puns on my last name--it's been
done).  Many of the women of my generation came into technical training and
disciplines late in life, due to the soft discouragement of women from going
into technical fields.  Their inter-personal skills might therefore have a
firmer foundation.

Part of good inter-personal relations is sensitivity to the "language" which
is appropriate to your audience--in linguistics called a "register."  You
should no sooner speak to your m.s.p. engineer on an assertive feminist basis
than you should speak in technical jargon to a person you know is not familiar
with your field.  In neither case will you impress or evoke a positive
reaction from the individual--you will not effectively communicate.  In both
cases, the person will shut you out, and condemn you as insensitive to that
person's {experience, station, intelligence, life orientation...}, whether or
not he realizes WHY he is really shutting you out.

Inter-sexual undertones are not flirting.  I would not overtly flirt with a
co-worker I was not interested in, but there are many degrees of male-female
interaction which can have the "flavor" of inter-sexual communication without
being sexual communication.

Example:  A male engineer explains software tool source to me.  If I make a
point to tilt my head and smile while I am listening to a [possibly boring or
reluctant] technical explication of a piece of code, it shows my interest.  It
gives the man a better feeling about having to go over the same material with
another person another time.  This is true whether or not the man is a
chauvinist. The behavior is characteristically "woman approving of man."

I consider it no more than another means of communication, which I happen to
be a skilled enough communicator to use safely and effectively, much as an
eloquent speaker uses his language. Some women consider this flirting, since I
am consciously manipulating this man by being a woman and acting in a manner
with which men are taught to be very pleased when treated to such attention.
If I did it unconsciously, then it would probably be "OK."

Yet some of the same women will teach "women's networking skills," which are a
skill set put together to:

    	(a)  exploit women's adaptation of traditional man-man business/social
    		skills  (including clubs, old girl networks, women's room
    		conferences)

    	(b)  fine tune women's [business]/social woman-woman skills, so as to
    		facilitate greater communication and cooperation between women
    		in the workplace (mostly by fostering an us-them rivalry
    		between men and women in the workplace, whether consciously or
    		not).

If the mention is made of exploiting traditional woman-man [business]/social
skills, then flamish discussions (along the lines of this one) tend to erupt.

I can not agree more with Sherry Mann, who states, "[all women] have a
responsibility to their jobs before any responsibility to the educating of
chauvinists."  I would no sooner push unwonted feminist dogma on a co-worker
than I would push any other set of morals on him.  I do not believe that my
being a woman is important either way to the work I do.  But the fact that my
work is done well, my co-workers enjoy working with me, and that I take pride
in my work--this is all anyone needs to look at.

    			Shava Nerad
    			Telematic Systems (@DEC Ed. Svcs.)
    			{decvax, allegra}!decwrl!rhea!closus!nerad