[net.women] The mailing list

carey@seismo.UUCP (Marie Carey) (04/11/84)

I believe I was the first person to have mentioned the mailing
list after it was created and now I am very sorry I ever did
so. It seems there are all of these people who are not on the
list criticizing it, which in turn has caused some of the
people who do belong to the list to defend it. What I don't
understand is, why didn't the people who did not get on the
list when I first mentioned it here, just simply mail to me
and ask me about it instead of acting like total #$%^&! and
becoming really offended (for no reason that I can find) and
then venting that anger in this newsgroup. Some more mature
(shall we say, for lack of a better word at this time) people
did mail to me and I then either referred them to the moderator
or started forwarding messages to them when the moderator's
mail system became too loaded down.  I really do not think
the mailing list is separating people from this newsgroup.
I still see articles posted here from people who also happen
to be on the list. The best thing about the list (in my
opinion) is that it is a very personal forum, whereas this
newsgroup is just not as personal. I think that is what is
so appealing to people of the list, it being so personal
and friendly. Now we all know that this newsgroup is
definitely lacking in friendliness :-) I am familiar with
some of the people in this newsgroup that tend to enjoy
arguing about *anything* (it seems like) and personally, as
Beth Mazur has already said, who wants to listen to that sh*t
in the mailing list when we hear enough of it here? (She didn't
say those exact words, but the same general feeling was impressed)
Feminist issues are discussed in the list, but some of the articles
from people are very personal and *definitely* not something people
would want to post in this newsgroup. I hope I have explained things
a little better so that people can try to understand *why* there is
a mailing list versus just posting everything here. Please try not
to condemn this list without even understanding its existance. My
own personal feeling is that the people who have argued so vehemently
here against having the list are people that I personally would *not*
like to see in the list at all. So far, things in the list have been
so wonderful with no one flaming anyone else and no arguments. But
this is my own personal feeling and not necessarily anyone else's
in the mailing list. And don't think for a moment that having no
one arguing can in any way be boring! This list is far more
interesting than anything I have read here, probably because of it's
personal and friendly atmosphere. Well, just thought I would clarify
things a little since I was the one who first mentioned the list
after it's creation.

Marie Carey
...!seismo!carey

twiss@stolaf.UUCP (Thomas S. Twiss) (04/12/84)

>The mailing list is a private club.  Nothing more and nothing less.
>Membership seems to be decided by the existing members, with a strong
>bias in favour of women and a strong bias against anyone given to a lot
>of flaming.

	Wrong.  If anyone has ever been rejected (which I strongly doubt),
	then it's becuase the moderator is deluged.  No preference is
	given to anyone over anyone else.

>The above is just my guess.  Since I am not a member of the club, I don't
>know much about it.

	Then don't flame about it unless you do.

>Nor do I wish to join the club.

	Then why are you making such a fuss?

>                      Carlo @ the U of Waterloo
>                P.S.  Haven't we beaten this to death by now?

	I certainly think so, and if you do, why did you write the
	article?

	The point being that the mailing list was not set up as an
exclusionary group at all, and to my knowledge, no one has been excluded.
The only consideration is the size of the group and the over-work of the
moderator.  If you want, I'LL even forward messages to some of you.  So why
don't we quit complaining ok?

Flames cheerfully ignored or returned postage due.  Questions and
intelligent discussion welcomed by:

				Tom Twiss
			...{decvax|ihnp4}!stolaf!twiss