[net.women] Woman for VP

pc@hplabsb.UUCP (Patricia Collins) (05/02/84)

	I caught a headline, suggesting that if a woman were nominated
as Vice President, it would cost that party as many male votes
as it would gain in female votes.  The reference was to the Democrats,
who already have a substantially larger fraction of the female votes,
so perhaps the implication is NOT that many men won't vote for a woman
VP, but rather that there are few Republican women and they are unlikely
to switch parties just to vote for a woman.  (Therefore, the few Democratic
men who would vote Republican just to avoid voting for a woman VP
hardly constitute a powerful contingent.)

	Most papers ignore any substantive analysis, and in particular
seem to avoid any treatment of Women's Issues in politics.  The spotty
treatment of the "Gender Gap" identifies the phenomenon but not the
underlying issues.  The ERA received little front page coverage in
newspapers which otherwise seem quite in tune with the public's interests.
Relegating such discussions to the OpEd page or the "features" section
(read: "fluff") has a quite different impact than the legitimacy of
front page coverage.

					Patricia Collins
					hplabs

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Allen England) (05/03/84)

+

I think it is about time we had a woman run for vice-president.  It
would set a good precedent.  The barrier between women and the Presidency
would become smaller.  However, I personally think that the *ONLY* reason
that the democrats would do this this year is to get elected.  No other
reason.  That is the part that bothers me.

--> Allen <--
ihnp4!ihuxb!alle

jad@lanl-a.UUCP (05/04/84)

The Demos might do it just to get elected, but what happens if the Demo
president dies/is assassinated... Might be nice/fun/interesting.

Zozzles The Freep
cmcl2!lanl-a!jad
"May you live in interesting times"

smann@ihu1g.UUCP (Sherry Mann) (05/04/84)

I'm more afraid they won't choose a woman for a running
mate because they would be afraid they wouldn't get elected.
I'd be satisfied if they chose a woman "just to get
elected."  For one thing, chances would be that she would
be very highly qualified to be even considered for the
job.
Also, many many companies have helped to improve the lot
of women by hiring and promoting them just because they had
to (because of EEO and Affirmative Action programs).
Once people get used to having them around, they more
readily accept the idea.

	Sherry Mann

smann@ihu1g.UUCP (Sherry Mann) (05/08/84)

I received the following by mail but was unable to respond
by mail, so am posting my response here.

>Subject: Re: woman for VP

 > For one thing, chances would be that she would be very highly qualified
 > to be even considered for the job.

>Why?

Because women are discriminated against in politics
no less than they are in business.
In order to be in a position to be considered as vp,
a woman would have to have proved herself above and
beyond a man in a similar position.

	Sherry Mann
	ihnp4!ihu1g!smann

tims@mako.UUCP (Tim Stoehr) (05/09/84)

From: smann@ihu1g.UUCP (Sherry Mann)
Newsgroups: net.women
Subject: Woman for VP
Date: Tue, 8-May-84 06:58:22 PDT

 > In order to be in a position to be considered as vp,
 > a woman would have to have proved herself above and
 > beyond a man in a similar position.

I find this a hollow claim coming from a person who says something like
"Let's have a woman VP" instead of "Let's have the best VP possible, be
that man or woman."
In any case, the above annotation is undeniably false, since the proof
of being a good vp is in doing it, NOT in convincing people that you
would be.  A number of men have proven that already.
This is NOT an argument against a women vp.  Let's just not have a woman
vp for the sake of having a woman vp.