[net.women] ETs and goldfish

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/14/84)

[zap]

Gordon Partridge writes:

>I am not sure what Ethan Vishniac's thesis is.  Is it that one gender really
>*is* "demonstrably stupider, more emotional, and less physically capable",
>or that we *mistakenly perceive* this to be the case?

Actually, my thesis (as expressed in my article) is none of the above.
I was trying to point out that any example set by an extra-terrestrial
species means nothing at all.  For that matter, I don't think arguments
taken from the purely terrestrial animal kingdom mean much.  Does anyone
out there have an opinion unsupported by an example of the social lives
of some animal?  You probably just don't know enough biology.

Why drag rats, spiders, ET's, or your pet goldfish into it?  Is biology
destiny?  Who cares?  Why not just let people try to lead full and interesting
lives and see where that takes them?

                     "Just another Cosmic Cowboy"

                         Ethan Vishniac
                         {ut-sally,ut-ngp,kpno}!utastro!ethan