[net.women] envi-ornament just what does that mean, anyway?

tracy@hcrvax.UUCP (Tracy Tims) (06/04/84)

	The indented text is me, Tracy.  Can I wave to my mother?
	Hi Mom!  Sorry this article is so many lines.  It has lots
	of indentation and repeated stuff.

>   If a scientist were to do a study which tended to show there
> were structural differences between the sexes which helped to
> explain the domination of men in math and physics, this scientist
> would be immediately branded sexist. ...
> He has come up with a conclusion which is philosophically wrong and thus
> cannot be [considered] valid.
>    I am certain that there will be those who will attack me
> for saying men are inherently better at math than women.

The only offensive thing in Hughes's initial letter on this issue was his
assumption that from the start, no one is capable of being fair: the world
is going to reject the scientist's research, this newsgroup is going to
incorrectly interpret his (Hughes's) statements.  And yet, with these
close-minded preconceptions about the reception of the research and the
argument, Hughes's closes his letter with

	Tell me, will you, just how you conclude that
	William claims ``no one is capable of being fair . . . this
	newsgroup will incorrectly interpret his (Hughes's) [whom
	I will call William--TT] statements.''   You have interpreted
	his statements in such a way as to allow a not-very-useful
	critique of what you think William's belief's and debating
	tactics are.  What sort of an axe have you to grind?

	People often don't write exactly what they mean.  I am sure that
	when William writes ``People will brand the research sexist''
	he really means ``Some people (in nunbers I can't predict)
	will brand the research sexist.''  Just think about an actual
	speech conversation you have had with someone where you
	may talk at length before coming to an understanding of the
	other person's point of view in an iterative way.   I think
	you don't really understand William's point.

	He points out by saying ``. . . people will attack me . . .''
	that there are those who will take exception to his article
	on points that are not really germane to the issue.  Probably
	because they don't realize which points are germane.  It
	happened.  He was right.

> Let us study these differences with open minds.

It's all very well to urge the other person to have an open mind.
Although I know this is a typical human reaction and one that most of us
will experience, I feel it is an immature human reaction. . .

	I often urge people to have an open mind.  Do you know why?
	It's because most of them don't.  I am just asking people
	that to try and avoid an automatic rejection of what I am saying.
	Perhaps I am asking them to think about it a little more deeply
	than they otherwise would.

	I think you are making completely inaccurate and uneccessary
	conclusions about William's debating goals.

						. . . But moreover,
I know it to be an inadequate tactic to take to convince a skeptical audience.
Skeptical audiences will react better to cogent arguments than to remarks
attempting to evoke guilt responses about closed minds.  I believe this
newsgroup to be a skeptical audience, on the average, on most topics--because
you'll always find some who disagree and are willing to discuss; if this
was a closed-minded audience there would be no point in mentioning a point
for discussion.

	Perhaps William is just reminding people (as they often need
	reminding) that an open mind is a valuable (and very rare)
	thing.  Again, you have wondrous and astounding conclusions.

	Do you by this statement also accuse me of being immature and
	manipulative when I enjoin people to have an open mind?  Such
	liberties you take!  And you hardly know me.

Accusing a skeptic of being closed-minded will probably be a self-fulfilling
prophecy--because the skeptic may very will decide to become closed-minded
about listening to the person who stated or insinuated this insult.  Even if
you fear that you may lose the argument, why, there's no need to go about
as if you thought that: if you think you're going to lose, you probably will.

	``Let's discuss this with open minds,'' sounds like a plea
	to me.  Not an accusation.

Enough of this shilly-shallying!  Let's get down to facts.  I want facts.
I want to know when, where, who tried to do research and was ridiculed,
or was ignored, or who couldn't get funding because of the real reason that
the topic was considered wrong or dangerous or subversive.  If it hasn't
happened, how can we be decried for what might happen?  I want real facts
not the particularly offensive in the sometimes enlightening example of the
TQ research:

> Dr. Jones was dismissed due to widespread protest.  He was later
> found dead in his apartment (it appeared he had been killed by a
> poison dart fired from a blowpipe).

	William has probably been talking to people who believe a
	priori that such research shouldn't be done.  It's an
	attitude I've encountered.  Why can't he speculate?

Is Hughes implying that there is a conspiracy to repress this kind of
research? . . .

	No, but you don't care, do you?  [OK, so I am being a little
	catty.  Sorry.]

         . . . Surely the conspiracy is not so competent as to keep from the
public press all mention of all such research and all mention of related
assassinations.  It is exceptionally offending to the intellect to read
the story that Dr. Jones was killed by a blow dart, with the earlier related
deriding of Dr. Jones being a racist because of the derider's claim that
Dr. Jones will cause to be exploited the lower TQ of some Africans--does this
mean that Hughes believes that there is a conspiracy of women who gun down
researchers (or is it just that they withhold sex or food :-) :-) ).

	I suspect that William was trying to be funny.  He writes, you
	see, part of the script for the campus farce at Waterloo each
	year.  I suspect it damages his mind.  Even without this bit
	of information I suspect it's not hard to tell that the death
	of the professor was not meant to make much philosophical
	contribution to the story.

This kind of paranoia in net.women hasn't been here to kick around much since
Ken Arndt left us for net.flame.  This is not equate Hughes with Arndt,
since the former is always willing to further explain his point with
none of the equating of those who disagree to excrement or Hitler.

	Paranoia?  If anyone is paranoid it is you.  You turned
	his plea into an accusation.  [See, I can interpret his
	statement in another, equally valid way.  It's useful to
	mantain some perspective.]

	William is not paranoid.  I suspect that you have fallen into
	the trap that many netters fall in.  To wit:  The net is
	a low bandwidth medium.  It tells you very little of the
	person who is sending the message.  If you discuss anything
	more than what is actually written down, with no speculations
	and assumptions about what was being said, you run the
	risk of being very wrong, and very obnoxious.

So, let's get up a list of the persecuted, of ridiculed real refereed research
concerning any innate differences in ability between the sexes.  I'm going
to go track down what references have already been mentioned during discussion
of this topic.

	I suspect that William's net posting came from some discussions
	that he, some others and I had concerning this.  What we were
	wondering was:

		If there was research that demonstrated there was
		structural differences between men and women that
		affected their abilities as a class to perform some
		tasks, what would be the reaction?  Would it be wise
		to restrict research in those areas?

	[Note that we were presupposing the existence of such research
	without regard to the feasability of it's performance.  That's
	a separate question.]

	I don't know if there are any such differences, and I don't
	care.  If men are better at math than women for some structural
	reason (and ignoring the genetic engineering fans) that still
	does not affect my basic belief that people should be judged
	as individuals, always.  Any compromise based on statistics
	in order to make decisions about people with less effort I
	consider more or less undesirable.

	I suspect that there are those who would use such results to
	maintain the status quo, or to attempt to gain more power and
	security.  I question the value of such results in a world
	that is a morally immature as this one.  [Note: the preceeding
	apparent implication of the existence of an absolute morality
	should not be construed as such.  In fact, when I say ``morality''
	I am speaking of my own egotistical concept of a desirable
	code of conduct for human beings, based on my own selfish
	desire for security and happiness.]

	[Aside:  This means that I disagree slightly with kim@emory who in an
	excellent article said that we should come to an understanding
	of innate differences (if they exist) and integrate mechanisms
	into society for turning them into valuable and respected phemonena.

	I agree that we should do that for observed differences, but
	I suspect that a society which takes as a basic premise the
	adaptability of man rather than placing any emphasis on
	structural differences will better be able to accept individual
	needs and talents.]

Of course there's a conspiracy of women--why do you think we always get up to
go to the bathroom together (to clean our handguns, of course :-) :-) :-) ).
Hey, why don't men get up to go to the bathroom together?

		Lisa S. Chabot
-----

	William may have *appeared* slightly accusatory and paranoid.  That's
not enough to justify an article like yours.  What nerve was touched?  It looks
to me that something in the whole discussion affected you deeply and that your
response is motivated by anger rather than reason.  Fair enough, if true.  It
happens to everyone.  We should learn from the past, however.

	Goodbye, and thanks for all the fish.

                              Tracy Tims    {linus,allegra,decvax}!watmath!...
   Human Computing Resources Corporation             {lbl-csa,ihnp4,utzoo}!...
 Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  416 922-1937                   ...hcr!hcrvax!tracy

mario@astrovax.UUCP (Mario Vietri) (06/06/84)

From : Mario Vietri at Princeton University Astrophysics(astrovax!mario)

I can't resist the temptation to jump on this again .
For all those who asked for specific references on cases where a nearly
inextricable knot of science and social beliefs was uncovered ...
	1) The mismeasure of man (S.J. Gould,Harvard paleontologist)
	2) Not in our genes (Lewontin,Rose,Kamin,@Harvard,Open University,
	   Priceton,geneticist,neurobiologist,psychologist)
	3) The radicalisation of science (Hillary and Steven Rose,Open
	   University,...,neurobiologist)
	4) The political economy of science (Hillary and Steven Rose,as above).
	... and references therein .

Assorted topics you can find discussed in these books :
	a) Paul Broca and the correlation between brain size and intelligence
	b) Lombroso and criminals
	c) Goddard and the restriction to immigration on the basis of
	   test scores
	d) Sir Cyril Burt, Spearman, Galton and the falsification of
	   scientific evidence in IQ tests
	e) The theory of schizophrenia and its social use
	f) Sociobiology
	g) Discrimination against women in the physical sciences
... and much,much more .

In particular,'Not in our genes' contains a first rate discussion of the fallacy
of 'biological determinism'.

Just one comment aimed at Lisa Chabot when she says that W.Hughes's original
only mistake was to have suggested that everybody is unfair .
There are only two ways in which this statement would be understandable:
first, if we could accept that only a scientific issue was being raised here.
Even in this case, though, reading of ANY OF THE PREVIOUS BOOKS will
persuade you that the QUALITY OF THE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH carried out by
biological determinists does not deserve such concern :the worst, most
prejudiced,most unfair research probably ever done is that carried out
under the egida of biological determinism .Any of the books above can be
used as a reference for this .

The only other possibility is that there were no history,
if humankind had no collective memory to remember the crimes committed in the
name of biological determinism . Maybe you (Lisa) ought to read the Epilogue
of 'The mismeasure of man' , where the story is told of how the state of
Virginia castrated 7500 people between 1925 and 1972 , on the basis of the idea
that those who sap the strengths of the country (i.e. by definition = those
whose IQ scores are lower than ...) should not have a right to
reproduce themselves (unperfectly quoted from a sentence of the U.S. Supreme
Court which upheld the law ). The victims consisted mostly of white men
and women , mostly 'UNWED MOTHERS,PROSTITUTES,PETTY CRIMINALS AND CHILDREN
WITH A DISCIPLINARY PROBLEM ' (verbatim, 'The mismeasure of man', quoting
from 'The Washington Post',2/23/1980). A rogue gallery of crimes committed
by those who claimed that the opponents of biological determinism were not
fair , and that we should all keep an open mind as to the results of these
researches ( and to their methods, I would like to add) is contained in
'Not in our genes' .
Ignorance is no excuse . Asking that we keep an open mind on such issues,
is exactly the equivalent of demanding that we keep an
open mind on the responsibilities of German war criminals in the carrying
out of the Holocaust . (In fact, in 'Not in our genes', you can find quoted
a passage (with references) by Medicine Nobel Prize winner Konrad Lorenz
justifying the Holocaust on genetic grounds ).
		Enjoy .

				Mario Vietri

		Princeton University Astrophysics
	(akgua,allegra,kpno,ihnp4,cbosgd)astrovax!mario