[net.women] To Alan

millines@fortune.UUCP (Trish Millines) (07/13/84)

     I don't know where you get off telling people that I have a problem and
that my situation (being a lesbian) is sad.

     Do you know me?  Do you know whether I'm happy or not?  What difference
does it make to you why I chose to be gay?

     Well I'll tell you something mister, I'm probably alot happier than you!!
I know what I want and where I'm going.  I'm perfectly happy being gay and
not catering to some man.

     I'm a minority in three ways; I'm Black, a woman, and a lesbian. So what
makes you think I would be a bigot when all my life there has been some sort
of prejudice against me in various ways, shapes, and forms?  Some people have
never been exposed to the kind of people they claim they dislike, at least I
speak from experience and the experience of others I know.

     I bet you wouldn't call me a bigot if I said most men were sweet and
wonderful human beings - would you?  And yet that is also a generalization.
I also bet that if I was referring to some other category that you don't
belong to, you wouldn't even lift a finger to type one word to this net!!!

     My message to you is to lay off buddy and get a grip on yourself!!!

     I might add that this letter to you is very nice compared to what I'm
really thinking, and I didn't call you any names either, even though there
are quite a few that come to mind!!!

     You know, I bet my original article really hit home....

Trish

alan@allegra.UUCP (Alan S. Driscoll) (07/13/84)

Trish writes:

> I also bet that if I was referring to some other category that you don't
> belong to, you wouldn't even lift a finger to type one word to this net!!!

No need to bet, we can check the record.  It's all right here in
/usr/spool/netnews/net/singles -- dozens of articles written by
me defending not only men, but also women, gays, and secretaries.
There are exactly two possibilities:

	(1)  I'm a gay, hermaphroditic secretary.

	(2)  You're full of crap.

I'm not a gay, hermaphroditic secretary.

--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

brianp@shark.UUCP (Brian Peterson) (07/16/84)

This article is not concerned with what assertions in this particular
"discussion" are true.  I (put that last word in italics, or caps) infer
from Trish's choice of words that she is oozing hate.  I assume that
some other people sense such emotion, and respond accordingly.  Any
particular statement ("I feel most men are assholes") may just be a
trigger.  Trish's hate (which I perceive, anyway) might be 100%
"justified", but people still tend to react to hate.

		Brian Peterson   ...!ucbvax!tektronix!shark!brianp

steven@qubix.UUCP (Steven Maurer) (07/23/84)

[]

>      I'm a minority in three ways; I'm Black, a woman, and a lesbian. So what
> makes you think I would be a bigot when all my life there has been some sort
> of prejudice against me in various ways, shapes, and forms?  Some people have
> never been exposed to the kind of people they claim they dislike, at least I
> speak from experience and the experience of others I know.

	Thank you for listing your credentials.
	I suppose you think that this entitles you to have all sorts of
	opinions that wouldn't be tolerated in a white, male, heterosexual.

>>       I bet you wouldn't call me a bigot if I said most men were sweet and
>>  wonderful human beings - would you?  And yet that is also a generalization.

	Generalization does not mean bigotry (at least leagaly).
	This means that I can start up a Whites Only/ Blacks Only/
	Men Only/ Women Only/ Gay Only/ or Hetero Only club, and not
	be harrassed by the government.

	Bigotry means talking down someone just because they are part
	of a group you don't like.   Since I am male, you have already
	said that I am probably (1000 to 1) an asshole (your mama).  Now
	THATS what Alan means by being a bigot.

    Steven Maurer