[net.women] Miss America

newton2@ucbtopaz.UUCP (07/24/84)

As I understand it, the dispute was one over competing property rights- who
had the (exclusive?) right to economically exploit the assets represented
by the Vanessa Williams package.

I liked "Ian Shoals" (Duck's Breath Mystery Theatre persona) rap on Nightline
the other eve-- he spews to fast for me to write to long-term memory, but
he had said much that was pithy and pertinent about "a country where Larry
Flynt runs for president and a Playboy can have a 'philosophy'..."

heahd@tellab1.UUCP (Dan Wood) (07/24/84)

I basically agree with Trish. I mean this is 1984 and Ms. Willams only had a
couple of months to go as M.A. I think if the pageant officials had taken a so
what attitude that the media hoopla would have been much less and the whole
thing would have passed more or less unnoticed. (I could be wrong. I have been
once before |~>.)

You can't say that this attention won't help her career as an "entertainer"
though. After all, until last friday I couldn't have told you Miss America's
name but it is unlikely that I will forget Vanessa Williams now (especially
since I've got her pictures tacked up in my office :-] ). I think the same can
be said for a lot of people (the part about her name, not the pictures
although that may well be true also). Not only that, but she has now joined
the ranks of such famous resignees as R.M. Nixon who resigned from the
position of Mr. right-wing america when pictures of him in a compromising
position with Checkers were published in Pet World in 1973 :-).

I doubt that the fact that the pictures showed her with another woman was the
real reason for the pageant official's reaction although that fact certainly
added to their consternation.

Oh no Vanessa, I wouldn't
dream of publishing these.
DW @ ...!ihnp4!tellab1!heahd

etan@tellab1.UUCP (Nate Stelton) (07/24/84)

I have a possible theory about Vannessa Williams (not that I totally
*believe* it).  Maybe this was all carefully planned out.  She has made
history.  She probably has generated more publicity for herself than any
other Miss America ever.  People will remember her name (can you name
last year's MA, or the year before?).  It seems that she has greatly
increased the marketablity of her self.  I should think that she already
knew she would be dethroned while she was posing for those photos.

What do I think about the whole thing?  I feel that the Miss America
pageant is an insult to today's woman, and this incident is a slap in the
face to the pageant.  I love it!

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (07/24/84)

Personally, I don't feel very sympathetic.  If you want to know my
honest reaction to the whole incident, it is the following: the only
thing dumber than posing for Penthouse magazine is taking part in the
Miss America pageant.

Beauty queens have been dethroned for breaking their employers' prudish
standards for as long as there have been beauty queens.  The fact that
her spread in Penthouse involves some staged lesbianism adds to the
titillation of the "scandal," but I suspect it would be a scandal in
any case.

Of course, the very similar nature of beauty pageants and the soft porn
industry adds to the irony of the situation.  Both draw on the same
pool of naive young women (girls, actually) with dreams of stardom;
both pander to some ridiculously artificial ideas of what women ought
to be about.

As far as I am concerned, this is a contractual dispute between Miss
Whatshername and her two employers.  Maybe she's been shafted, but I
suspect we'll never know; I certainly don't see any point in making a
martyr out of her.

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle

bek@duke.UUCP (Barrett E. Koster) (07/24/84)

RE: Article-I.D.: fortune.3842

I think the Miss America pageant administration is sexist and indulges
in delusions of morality and altruism.
Yes, I was upset that Vanessa Williams was (is being?)
dethrowned for nude modling.  But then, I don't really think it is out
of character for the committee.  They make a profession out of judging
people's (excuse me, women's) purity.  Why shouldn't they continue?
Of course, it is a little hypocritical that they would call someone
immoral for modling when the influx and outflux of candidates is largely
from that legitimate and respectible profession.  It's a little like
a guy looking for someone to sleep with, and then calling her a whore if
she isn't a virgin.

On a larger scale, I see the whole pageant as superficial (and I appoligize
to the candidates who bring real value only to be patted on the head for it
while the real business -- the meat parade -- goes on.)  I mean, when a woman
can get kicked out for wearing falsies, it's obvious what the committee is
looking for.  Why don't they just admit what they are after and have the
women walk around nude.   So I think the whole idea of judging people
pretty much for what God gave them, and also condemning them for actions
of the past (where's forgiveness?) is contrary to the Christian and American
spirits that the committee pretends to have.

Anyway, I am sure that Vanessa is more than good enough to be Miss America,
and I am sorry that the only recognition she has gotten for her excellence
is from the Miss America Pageant.

Barry Koster           ..!decvax!duke!bek

sam@phs.UUCP (Sherry Marts) (07/24/84)

The Miss America Pageant and Penthouse magazine are symptoms of the same
disease.  Both objectify women; both seek to titillate and appeal to
the male observer's prurient interest; both present an unreal image
of women.  The main difference between the two is that the Miss America
Pageant leaves slightly more to the imagination.  Miss America contestants
perm their hair, paint their faces, undergo surgery, starve themselves, and
force themselves to smile nonstop for a week in an attempt to earn a
quarter of a million dollars.  Penthouse models perm their hair, paint
their faces, undergo surgery, and take contraceptive steroids to swell
their breasts and hips in order to earn several thousand dollars.  It's
all exploitation, it's all a form of violence against women.  In reality,
women are not the plastic Barbie dolls of the Miss America Pageant.  They
are not the mindless Pets of Penthouse nor the Playmates of Playboy.  I
feel sorry for Vanessa Williams, not because she "lost her title", but
because she has accepted such a limited vision of herself.  I feel sorry
for every woman who sells herself and her sex, whether as a beauty pageant
contestant, a model, or a prostitute.

howardh@ihu1e.UUCP (Howard Hill) (07/25/84)

Trish Millines writes:
  > So what does everybody think about Vanessa Williams being dethroned?
  > I think it stinks!!

So do I.

  > I don't think the nude stuff bothered them a much as the fact that
  > the scenes involved another woman.

Trish may very well be right on this point; homophobia is endemic
in this culture.   I really don't understand why the scenes involving
a woman should be a problem.  Actually, I rather enjoy participating
in scenes with women.  In fact, some of my best friends are women
[although I wouldn't want my daughter to marry one] :-) Seriously,
the best way of reacting to nonsensical attitudes is not to take
them seriously, while the best way of dealing with the purveyors of such
nonsense is to avoid these lunatics altogether (if possible).

  > She was a better role model than any of the past Miss America's, but
  > of course they won't even count that.  And unfortunately this is
  > something that will stay with her for the rest of her life.

Trish is right, this is something that will unfortunately stay with her
for the rest of her life.  When people in this culture stop seeing
women as products and men as machines; when people stop worrying about
small-minded morals, then and only then, will we have a real chance
to be human.

				Yours for more sanity in the world,
				Howard Hill (ihnp4!ihu1e!howardh)

--
          .
         /|\

hawk@oliven.UUCP (07/25/84)

>I don't think the nude stuff bothered them a much as the fact that the scenes
>involved another woman.

1:  so what?
2:  It being with another women does make it a more flagrant departure from the
    ideas they are trying to push/claim they hold.
3:  I think they would have done it even if she had been by herself in the
    scenes.

>She was a better role model than any of the past Miss America's, but of course
>they won't even count that.

Huh?  The fact that she posed for the photos shows this to be false.  I'd
really like to see some support for your statement.

While I'm at it, I'll throw my two cents worth in on the Hot dog incident as
sexual harassment.  Anybody who sincerely feels that it was her being a women
that provoked the complaint has failed Greed 17b. It was the competition, and
the traffic distraction bit was simply the best excuse he could come up with.
If it was really an issue of she was too pretty, he would have kept his mouth
shut and stared out the window at her.

hawk

--
                                            (Rick Hawkins @ Olivetti ATC)
{hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!hawk

chabot@amber.DEC (Lisa S. Chabot) (07/26/84)

GEORGE = >
>     She will have gotten more publicity and be known to more people than
>       any other miss america. It's bucks in her pocket! (purse?)

AAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Not money, again.

Trading dignity for money is always a little questionable and risky (and look,
having to write code you're not proud of is not so bad as having your privacy
published).  Besides, what good is this publicity: she's got a dirtied image
now (and by historical precedent, this immediately disqualifies her from
advertising Ivory soap), and has lost all the advertising arrangements that
follow the crown.

This incident will not really aid her in publicity, it will fade from public
view, just as we quickly forget who won after the Miss America contest.

To *think* that the _Omni_ of girlie magazines would actively work to degrade a
person so ...	    :-)

L S Chabot

UUCP:	...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot
ARPA:	...chabot%amber.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
USFail:    DEC, MR03-1/K20, 2 Iron Way, Marlborough, MA  01752

judy@ut-ngp.UUCP (Judith O. Ashworth) (07/26/84)

 After seeing these pictures for myself, I'm afraid I cannot sympathize
with the former Miss America. They are not at all tastefully done and I
really question her judgement in having posed for them in the first place.
 Also, I believe she is lying about not having signed a release for them.
If she indeed had not, there is no way PENTHOUSE would have published them.
 Actually, I wouldn't be a bit suprised if this whole thing was actually
thought up by her. After all, she now has even more public exposure (pun
intended) than if she just faded away after relinquishing her crown in
September. Maybe she WANTS her career to have a bit of spice in it.
Controversy and scandal have always been great free advertising if you can
take the heat.
 Considering the nature of those pictures I'd say they had no choice but
to ask her to give up her title. I don't believe that this is the sort of
image we want our Miss America to project.
 I only wish PENTHOUSE had enough class to wait until she was no longer
the current Miss America ...

Judy
(ut-ngp!judy)

davidk@dartvax.UUCP (David C. Kovar) (07/26/84)

Someone commented that Miss (Ms?) Williams should be be happier
with the outcome of this incident because it will put more $$$
in her hands. This is one *good* case where money != happiness!
Will money make up for embarassment, loss of title, loss of face,
ridicule, etc etc? I would say no, but I am not her. If you think
money will cure everything, I will give you $100,000 in gold,
strap it to your legs and arms and toss you in the ocean.

--
David C. Kovar
	    USNET:      {linus|decvax|cornell|astrovax}!dartvax!davidk

"The difficult we did yesterday, the impossible we are doing now."

miller@nlm-mcs.ARPA (Nancy Miller) (07/26/84)

I think asking Miss America to resign is expected of
the Pageant, because the whole idea of the Pageant has always been based
upon very old-fashioned attitudes.  It just seems that they are not willing
to begin living in the 1980's.  Years ago, such controversy would not
result, and her career as an entertainer would be ruined.

Nancy Miller
(nlm-mcs.ARPA)

lowry@fortune.UUCP (John Lowry) (07/28/84)

By my calculations, $100,000 in gold is about 27 pounds.  You sure
you want to bet that I can't swim with 27 pounds strapped to my legs?

abh@ccivax.UUCP (Andrew X. Hudson) (07/30/84)

Sure its a drag, but what I am wondering is whether our friends at
Penthouse Enterprises have a few pictures of Mrs. Ferraro
and are waiting for the right opportunity.....

					Andrew Hudson
"Tears on my pilow and Ave  Maria"
--
Fuck you, Brook Shields, Oh Fuck You!!
		- Big Apple Rotten to the Core Compilation

	...[rlgvax | decvax | ucbvax!allegra]!rochester!ritcv!ccivax!abh

msimpson@bbncca.ARPA (Mike Simpson) (07/30/84)

***
30 July 1984.

	This may be construed as stretching the point a bit, but
here goes nothing.

	Last week (I think it was Tuesday, 7/23) Cable News
Network's CROSSFIRE program had on a female vice-president of
Penthouse and a spokeswoman from NOW, debating the whole Vanessa
Williams affair.  I was horrified by two things:

	1) The speed with which the confrontation (if you watched
it, you'd agree with me that it was hardly a 'discussion')
shifted from 'was it right for Miss Williams to give up her
crown' to an argument over the magazine's First Amendment rights
to publish the pictures.  COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT!

	2) The intense 'power trips' that both women were on.

	To the NOW speaker, all pornography was an expression of this
society's violence against women, and the obvious solution was to
pass laws against it.

	Wasn't this once the land of the free?
        Whatever happened to the pressures of the marketplace --
i.e., don't legislate against sales of porn, rather educate
people not to buy pornography that in your opinion degrades
women?  (Side note -- I have heard few, if any, women talk about
gay pornography.  Why?)

        The Penthouse representative stoutly maintained that
Penthouse did not discriminate against women, that many of the
positions of power in Penthouse were filled by women, and that
the magazine was willing to defend Miss Williams against the
pageant's decision and to offer her a job promoting the magazine.
Of course, right after that came Guccione's remark about Williams
being a 'shameful, deceitful little girl' who was now paying the
price for 'trying to put one over on the pageant' and who 'denied
another, possibly more worthy girl' of winning the title -- a
remark that speaks volumes.  (But I digress.)

        Each speaker ran roughshod over the other, and over
'moderators' Tom Braden and Pat Buchanan.  Each one was more
certain of the 'wrongness' of her adversary's position that of
the 'rightness' of her own. Fortunately, perhaps, the speakers
were not physically on the same set -- a very undignified battle
wouldn't have been out of the question.

	Did anyone else see that CROSSFIRE show, and care to
comment on it?  Mail responses, or post them.
		-- Mike Simpson, msimpson@bbncca.{arpa,uucp}
--
-- your obedient servant,
   Mike Simpson, BBN

garey@ut-ngp.UUCP (riggs, austen) (08/08/84)

	There is nothing sacred about model releases used by photographers.
The ones I've seen are standard forms from magazines or newspapers.  In
fact many how to photography books have samples in the back that can be
xeroxed and used.

	All you models out there:  Make up your own model release with
any clause you want to protect yourselves (i.e. expiration date).  Have
a lawyer look at it if it makes you feel better.  Then insist the photographer
uses it instead of his/her own.  I can't see any jection an honest
photographer would have.

	My dad is a semi-professional photographer who often uses releases,
thats where I've seen them before>

			Jim Garey    ut-ngp!garey