[net.women] makeup

mason@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Mason) (09/04/83)

Why do women wear makeup?  I don't find it increasing the attractiveness
of women to me (though it doesn't bother me much either (unlike some male
friends of mine)) and seems to be a significant waste of time.

Is it (as seems to me) for the same reason I drink Carlsberg Light? ie. that
Madison Avenue is just conning us?

 -- Gandalf's flunky Hobbit --   Dave Mason, U. Toronto CSRG,
        {cornell,watmath,ihnp4,floyd,allegra,utzoo,uw-beaver}!utcsrgv!mason
     or {decvax,linus,lsuc,research}!utzoo!utcsrgv!mason   (UUCP)

stanwyck@ihuxr.UUCP (09/06/83)

	It seems that the primary purpose of makeup is to give a woman
	a psychological lift toward feeling more attractive.  Many
	people (men and women) have a difficult time believing that
	they can be accepted as they are, and thus they make an effort
	to present a false face.  This falseness can be in terms of
	makeup, or it can be falseness of action (comman male approach).

	The ideal, of course, is that all of us would learn to accept others
	the way they are, for who they are, and love them that way.  It
	is not true, however, that most of us (me included) can not find
	some areas of our personal makeup that we should try to change.
	But these are personality traits, NOT physical traits.  No-one
	should ever be rejected on the basis of physical traits.  Some
	of do need to lose some weight, though.

	I'm off on a tangent.  My point was simply that cosmetics are
	usually a psycological crutch, and not something that really
	makes a woman more attractive (at least not to me - I am repulsed
	at the way most women who wear the stuff wear it).

alan@allegra.UUCP (The Flaming Poet) (08/14/84)

--

she's a
plastic woman

she doesn't look
like a woman

she looks
pale and thin
anorexic

no round,
shapely curves

she has blue eyelids
and rosy lips
and gobs of glop
on her cheeks.

she doesn't smell
or taste
like a woman

she smells like
antiperspirant
and perfume

she tastes like
mouthwash
and feminine deodorant.

she doesn't feel
like a woman

she feels rough
where the stubble lies
under her arms
and on her legs.

she's a
plastic woman

not much
of a woman
at all.

anderson@ittvax.UUCP (Scott Anderson) (08/15/84)

[en garde!]

I don't mind generalizations about why women wear makeup, but
let's be careful about judging the person underneath.  I'm
referring to aspertions about "flaws in personality."

Anyhow, here are why the women *I* know wear makeup.

I.  Dress code
    My SO (Ann) wears some makeup to the office, usually rather
    unobtrusive.  I think she feels it's "part of the uniform":
    she puts on her makeup when she puts on her suit.

    We all know that there are times when certain garb is expected
    (either officially or unofficially); think of makeup as part of the
    dress code.  Dress codes are mutable, but only into other dress
    codes, because most people feel uneasy when they have complete
    freedom to dress.  (How many times have you wondered what other
    people will be wearing at some gathering, so that you can dress
    accordingly?  I have, many times.)  And as long as there are dress
    codes should/ought to be changed, so that women's skin can be
    preserved or whatever, but we'll only be exchanging one dress code
    for another.

II.  Fun
    When we go out for a fancy evening (I'm wearing a suit, she a
    long dress), Ann spends a long time putting on makeup, and
    not unobtrusive office-wear stuff.  We're talking bright and
    flashy; we're talking GLITTER.  Partly, it's because she has
    a streak of exhibitionist in her, and on evenings like this
    she'll dress in BRIGHT reds and other look-at-me colors.
    Partly, it's because she thinks it's FUN.  That's right:  she'll
    look at herself in the mirror, smile at the effect and say,
    "isn't that FUN!"  Partly, it's artistic expression, with her
    face the canvas.

    You might say all that stuff is hiding the "real" Ann, but I'd
    counter that being bright and glittering IS @i(part) of the
    "real" Ann.  Besides, if she enjoys it, why shouldn't she do it?

    [Aside to JAM:  I can think of several occasions when I've "gone
    for that special place on the side of the neck between ...." and
    come up with glitter on my own cheeks.  And y'know, I didn't
    mind a bit. :-)  ]

III.  Looking your best
    My sister spends a LOT of time on makeup, and she always comes
    out looking like a minor goddess.  She thinks it's important to
    look her best, and she associates with people who have high
    standards for personal appearance.  (I was going to say "judge
    people by their appearance," but we ALL do that.  It's just that
    we do it to varying degrees, with different standards.)  She
    reads all the fashion magazines, has impeccable taste in almost
    everything, and dates as much as she wants.  Many of us would
    be envious of her.

    If you asked me if she spent too much time on appearance versus,
    say, studying (she's a college student); I'd say yes.  But it's HER
    choice, and her grades are fine.  If you asked me if PART of her
    motivation was insecurity (about her popularity and/or appearance),
    I'd say yes.  But only PART.  And I think that part is too bad.  If
    you asked me if she was shallow and knew nothing of life except
    clothes and makeup, I'd say NO.  She's bright, interesting and
    sensitive.

IV. Conclusion
    Neither my SO nor my sister are shallow people, yet they both
    wear makeup at times.  They are both worth getting to know as
    people (hunh? oh, yeah, them).  So don't assume that a makeup-
    wearer is vain, silly, and shallow.  That MAY be the case.
    But probably not.

    Don't judge a book by its cover, or by whether or not it has a
    paper jacket over the cover.

Can anyone think of more reasons why women wear makeup?

Scott D. Anderson
decvax!ittvax!anderson
203-375-0200 X 451

sam@phs.UUCP (Sherry Marts) (08/15/84)

If, as Scott Anderson claims, makeup is:
     1.  part of the business/professional dress code
     2.  fun to use
     3.  a tool for improving one's appearance and thus one's self-confidence
I think the obvious question is:
WHY DON'T MORE MEN WEAR MAKEUP ???????

alan@allegra.UUCP (Alan S. Driscoll) (08/17/84)

About judging the book by its cover...

I meant to judge the cover by the cover, nothing more.  Some covers
are attractive to me, others are not, and I tried to explain one of
the things I don't like (make-up, etc.), and why.  Of course, under
any cover, there may be a great book.

--

	Alan S. Driscoll
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (08/17/84)

"Judging a book by its cover" is not a good analogy to judging
people by the makeup they wear.  It would be, if book covers were almost
always prepared by the authors themselves.  Most people put on their
own makeup.  They communicate:

  - their accuracy or sloppiness
  - the effect they make, or wish to make
  - the attention they wish to get
  - what they are, or wish to be like
  - ... ...

Makeup is an extension of a person's abilities, personality, and
adjustment to society.

- Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
allegra!eosp1!robison
decvax!ittvax!eosp1!robison

hrs@houxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (08/20/84)

While in our society makeup is almost only used by women, there are and
were many societies in which men also adorned themselves. Staying
close to home: war paint as worn by the native americans.
This even got into our language as a synonym for makeup!.

Herman Silbiger

mat@hou4b.UUCP (08/21/84)

From: sam@phs.UUCP (Sherry Marts)
Newsgroups: net.women
Subject: Re: makeup
Date: Wed, 15-Aug-84 12:30:40 EDT

>	If, as Scott Anderson claims, makeup is:
>	     1.  part of the business/professional dress code
>	     2.  fun to use
>	     3.  a tool for improving one's appearance and thus
>		one's self-confidence
>	I think the obvious question is:
>	WHY DON'T MORE MEN WEAR MAKEUP ???????

Well, for one thing it's kind of messy with all that facial hair.  And yes,
the facial hair is important to us.  Read the Biblical account of Samson.  Then
read some introductory psych text.  Look for ``castration fear''.

I think that if I wore makeup, I would be saying ``Hey world, I'm now going to
be a product of my art and a follower of fashion.''  This would just blow the
living hell out of my self-confidence -- another thing to be judged on, another
set of expectations that I don't understand to live up to -- and with fashion
constantly changing ... well, I can't even remember my age.  (my birthday, yes.
It doesn't change.  But my age changes by itself every dozen months or so! ;-{)

You can tell I suffer from problems with self-confidence, or the lack thereof,
and I certainly don't have a double-plus-good-bellyfeel of how to relate to
others.  I think that some of their expectations are pretty bizzare.  And they
think that some of mine are.

But makeup can be a handicap.  Where in the sam hill am I going to find the
time to fuss with the crap.  And as fragile as beauty is, makeup is even more
fragile.  Besides, no makeup can replace a deeply felt smile, and no makeup
can cover a scowl.  So why bother?  As one who needs to learn how to care about
others, it seems that we ought to be more concerned with caring about them and
less with caring about what they think of us.
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou5d!mat

agust@spuxll.UUCP (Agust K Gudmundsson) (08/21/84)

[R.R. supposedly dosen't wear makeup]
>why don't men wear makeup?

I guess youv'e never heard of TV Anchormen, or politicians,  or actors.

	Icelandic Cowboy

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (08/22/84)

Re the value of male facial hair to the wearer:

Well, I've worn either a full beard or very long sideburns for 20 years
now, and, if I knew of a proven-safe, permanent, cheap, simple, and
painless method (I don't ask much, do I?) to depilliate my face once
and for all, so that I never again need trim my beard or shave the parts of
it I want cut off, I'd do it immediately! Hair is vastly overrated;
it is mostly a bother, no matter where it grows.

Will Martin