[net.women] Final Observations

ted@teldata.UUCP (08/22/84)

My sojourn on the net is coming to an end.  In thinking back over the year
or so that I have been on the net I am left with the following impressions:

Bigotry abounds (this is not limited to the net).  The bigotry I am
referring to is that exercised by the feminists and the gays.  If one
disagrees with one of these people the response is often "You men are all
alike" or "You straights are all alike". Is this not the same type of
stereotyping that the feminists and gay rights are trying to overcome?  In
many cases no disagreement is required, the assumption of many feminists is,
"If you are a man you are against me".  How is this different from "If you
are a woman you are incapable of ...."?

Am I mistaken or does immaturity run rampant on the net?  My impression is
that a lot of contributors and respondents on the net are quite adolescent
in their attitudes and beliefs.

Is there a new protocol for winning others over to your point of view?  One
that opens with referring to the other party as "You bigotted asshole!"?
Does the younger generation really get positive results with this approach?

Since I am leaving I will not be able to recieve mail or responses on the net.

If you must reply: (206) 743-3890 or P.O.Box 153, Bothell, WA 98012

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (08/23/84)

From: ted@teldata.UUCP

>My sojourn on the net is coming to an end.  In thinking back over the year
>or so that I have been on the net I am left with the following impressions:
>
>Bigotry abounds (this is not limited to the net).  The bigotry I am
>referring to is that exercised by the feminists and the gays.  If one
>disagrees with one of these people the response is often "You men are all
>alike" or "You straights are all alike". Is this not the same type of
>stereotyping that the feminists and gay rights are trying to overcome?  In
>many cases no disagreement is required, the assumption of many feminists is,
>"If you are a man you are against me".  How is this different from "If you
>are a woman you are incapable of ...."?

What Ted forgot to mention is that a lot of the "bigotry exercised by feminists
and gays" were in response to bigotry from masculists and straight.  Of course
2 wrongs don't make a right, but credit for bigotry should be given to those who
deserve it.  In the case of net.women, it has been equally shared between
different factions, in the case of net.motss, I think the bigotry has come
mostly from the "straight" side:  in fact I cannot recall one single instance
of "you straights are all alike" coming from any gay participants.

>Am I mistaken or does immaturity run rampant on the net?  My impression is
>that a lot of contributors and respondents on the net are quite adolescent
>in their attitudes and beliefs.
>
>Is there a new protocol for winning others over to your point of view?  One
>that opens with referring to the other party as "You bigotted asshole!"?
>Does the younger generation really get positive results with this approach?
>
>Since I am leaving I will not be able to recieve mail or responses on the net.

Ted, of course is quite mature.  Sending a letter off that says: "here's my
last word, you are all a bunch of immature biggots, but I won't listen to
your replies, so there, nyah nyah!!!" is a very mature thing to do.  I think
I'll stick with my youthful immaturity, thank you.

>If you must reply: (206) 743-3890 or P.O.Box 153, Bothell, WA 98012

No, Ted, I "must" reply, but not to you.  I don't think you would care to listen
to any replies from the "younger generation" anyway, especially since I have
just called you a biggot and used the approach you mentioned.  But, at least,
I admit I am immature, so that's my last word to you, and you won't be able to
answer me, NYAH, NYAH-NYAH-NYAAAAAAH, NYAH!!!!

Sophie Quigley
...!{clyde,ihnp4,decvax}!watmath!saquigley

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (08/23/84)

I know that one shouldn't react so strongly to fools and jerks, but ted's
attitude is one that drives me up the wall, because so many people espouse
it in their desire to be "mature".

First this guy rambles about how biggoted feminists and gays are, which is
already a pretty bigotted assertion itself, without taking any notice of other
biggotry perpetuated by people of different persuations.  (no, I am not saying
that feminists and gays are not biggoted, but simply that some people are,
some aren't)

Then he goes on making wild generalisations about the "immaturity" of the net
population (2nd generalisation) and attributes it to the young age of the
said population (3rd generalisation: the "young generation" is immature; how's
that for divisiveness? ageism is one generalisation that even us bigotted young
gay feminists have been very careful to avoid).

So far, so good, but on top of it he refuses to listen to anything anybody
might have to say (I'm not going to pay long distance phone bills to that
jerk!  I don't even want to pay $.37 for the stamp!).  If he really cared
about any of this he would have mentioned it during the course of "the last
year" he claims he's been reading the net and tried to be constructive about it,
or try to get us to be reasonnable maybe.  No, all he cares about is showing off
how much more "grown-up" he is than all of us in his "detachment", and thinks
he is doing us a favour by leaving us with his pearls or wisdom.

Good riddance, you stuck-up bigotted ego-masturbator, if being "grown-up" is
being like you, I hope I will remain childish for the rest of my life!

Sophie Quigley
...!{clyde,ihnp4,decvax}!watmath!saquigley

PS: of course, it would have been much more mature to just ignore that fool
instead of stooping to his level, but who's claiming to be mature here?

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq) (08/23/84)

>Bigotry abounds (this is not limited to the net).  The bigotry I am
>referring to is that exercised by the feminists and the gays.  If one
>disagrees with one of these people the response is often "You men are all
>alike" or "You straights are all alike". Is this not the same type of
>stereotyping that the feminists and gay rights are trying to overcome?  In
>many cases no disagreement is required, the assumption of many feminists is,
>"If you are a man you are against me".  How is this different from "If you
>are a woman you are incapable of ...."?

Actually, I think the bigotry runs rampant from ALL sectors, including the
macho males, the feminist females, the gays, and miserables, the blacks,
the whites, and the libertarians. I also think MOST of us try to rise above
the vocal few that wear their bigotry on their sleeves. I'm sorry to see
someone judging us on the face of a small but vocal (and not very well
liked) minority of our users.

>Am I mistaken or does immaturity run rampant on the net?  My impression is
>that a lot of contributors and respondents on the net are quite adolescent
>in their attitudes and beliefs.

Not rampany. Since usenet is a crossection of society, you'll find at least
a few of every type here. Again, I think we're being judged on a
statistically insignificant but vocal group.

>Since I am leaving I will not be able to recieve mail or responses on the net.
I find highly negative parting shots to be distateful. This one has an
advantage over Tim Maroney's only that it is MUCH shorter...

chuqles
--
From the depths of the Crystal Cavern:		Chuq Von Rospach
{amd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!chuqui	nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Dreams, dreams, enchanter! Gone with the harp's echo when the strings fall
mute; with the flame's shadow when the fire dies. Be still, and listen.

aeq@pucc-h (Jeff Sargent) (08/24/84)

>>Am I mistaken or does immaturity run rampant on the net?  My impression is
>>that a lot of contributors and respondents on the net are quite adolescent
>>in their attitudes and beliefs. [comment by the gent who's leaving]

> Not rampant. Since usenet is a crossection of society, you'll find at least
> a few of every type here. Again, I think we're being judged on a
> statistically insignificant but vocal group. [Von Rospach]

As one of the immature, adolescent people on the net, I resent being termed
"statistically insignificant."  [1/2 :-)]

--
-- Jeff Sargent
{decvax|harpo|ihnp4|inuxc|seismo|ucbvax}!pur-ee!pucc-h:aeq

sdyer@bbncca.ARPA (Steve Dyer) (08/24/84)

Ah, the last word.  How nice to read it.  If anything, teldata!ted is
consistent to the end.  Les'see: woman and gays are bigoted.  Who does that
leave?  Jes' the good ole boys, I guess.

On net.motss, teldata!ted was laughed out when he suggested that gay people
really want to be the opposite sex (sounds like lesbianism for gay men,
huh?) I see the worst kind of bigotry when people make outrageous
statements, and then refuse to take responsibility to address any of the
wounds derived from the brief volly.

Shallow wounds cut deep into shallow ideas.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima}!bbncca!sdyer

agz@pucc-k (banta) (08/30/84)

************
Good riddance, you stuck-up bigotted ego-masturbator, if being "grown-up" is
being like you, I hope I will remain childish for the rest of my life!

Sophie Quigley

PS: of course, it would have been much more mature to just ignore that fool
instead of stooping to his level, but who's claiming to be mature here?

I think it was wise for Ms. Quigley to add the PS, in spite of this, ted
made his point...

Andrew Banta
Pucc-K!agz