[net.women] Net sexism again...

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (12/11/84)

In article <1855@sun.uucp> sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) writes:
>	Obviously the criminal "due process" system, for I certainly could not
>call it a system of justice, fails miserably to deal with these heinous crimes
>by men against women.

	No, it fails miserably to deal with heinous crimes, period.  Men vs.
women has nothing to do with it.
	Rape is not particularly different from other crimes in having an appalling
conviction rate.  The chances of getting away with murder, for example,
are excellent.  The sentences given to rapists are, again, appalling, but not
any more so than those given to other criminals.  (Consider the number of
gang killings in Chicago this year:  approaching 100 unsolved murders
in that category alone.)

>Let's see, that's 10 resolutions of rape per year.  Oh well, better 10 women
>should *start* to mend their lives than none, but consider the untold,
>unresolved trauma so many carry for the rest of their lives...
>all so men can assert their dominance... their God given right to use women
>as their slaves.

	Right.  Explain to me again all the benefits I get by having someone I
love assaulted, murdered, psychologically maimed, living in fear even if they
themselves are not victims of an actual assault.  I don't know men who
believe they have a God given right to use women as slaves: I don't know
ONE man who believes this.  Yes, there are criminals out there of both
sexes, but your statement is phrased to condemn men in general.

>excuse me, I think I'm going to puke...
>--
>mail ucbvax\!sun\!sunny decvax\!sun\!sunny ihnp4\!sun\!sunny<<EOF

Move over, I'm about ready to puke myself.  Would you condemn all Jews in
this fashion for crimes committed by a few Jews;  or all blacks?
If you did, the bigotry of your statements would be obvious.  You
condemn all males for the crimes of a few.
	Feminism is sometimes incorrectly condemned as man-hating.  Your
positions are not at all feminist;  but I see no reason not to consider
them as man-hating.
--
"Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore." -- John Prine

Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick