[net.women] transsexuals

sunny@sun.uucp (01/03/85)

> I am sure that religious moralists did not sponsor this bill.  However,
> I am not sure that it was sponsored by feminists, either.
>
> Has anyone noticed that the bill referred, often, to transsexuals?
>
> It is my understanding that groups that would be called "Falwellite"
> (sp?) would prefer to see transsexuals burn in hell, and from her
> writings, Gloria Steinham (sp? again) considers transsexuals to be
> people who have had their bodies "mutilated" as their "misguideed"
> solution to sex role oppression.
>
> I think that men and transsexuals were covered in this ordinance to:
>
> 1) be "fair" and protect the other "poor exploited souls"
>
> 	or maybe
>
> 2) to give this ordinance the appearance of being (add your favorite
> "nice" adjective here) and more palatable to the widest number of
> people.

Transsexuals suffer enough of their own personal internal hell without the
added hassles which result from their being discriminated against by both
men and women.  Regardless of the worth of the so called anti-porn ordinance,
transsexuals more often have their civil rights violated than either men
or women do.  Both men and women tend to reject, avoid, ignore, and disapprove
of transsexuals, but by far it is men who hassle, harrass, and attack TSs.
			Sunny... a male-to-female transsexual
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (01/06/85)

Sunny's comments on the general discrimination against transexuals
reminds me of a (probably bisexual) woman I knew.  She had lived an
exclusively gay lifestyle for a number of years, but was beginning
to experiment with heterosexual relationships.  I was surprised to
find out how fearful she was of being discovered by her gay friends--
it seems that being a bisexual would be considered being a ``traitor''
and that she'd probably be completely ostracized.  (I might add that
this group of ``friends'' included gays of both sexes, and she claimed
that they both had this prejudice.)

Is this woman's experience unusual?  Or does this just go to show
how prejudice exists in every group, even those who are themselves
victims of it?

I realize this is a bit off the original subject--though in a broad
sense, it isn't.  To paraphrase Walt Kelly, we have met the enemy,
and the enemy is: intolerance.

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (01/10/85)

>From: edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall)
>Subject: re: transsexuals
>it seems that being a bisexual would be considered being a ``traitor''
>and that she'd probably be completely ostracized.  (I might add that
>this group of ``friends'' included gays of both sexes, and she claimed
>that they both had this prejudice.)
>
>Is this woman's experience unusual?  Or does this just go to show
>how prejudice exists in every group, even those who are themselves
>victims of it?

I don't know how common this is but I can contribute the following personal
experience:

I have a woman friend who considers herself to be completely  gay.  As  far
as  I know, she's had only one heterosexual relationship (with me) that was
actually physically heterosexual. (That was about 12 years ago.  These days
we're  friends.)  At  the  time  she was very worried about her gay friends
finding out -- so much so that we pretended I was gay, even to  the  extent
of getting a bisexual male friend of mine to pretend to be my SO at times.

At the time, I thought the whole situation was a  bit  silly  and  somewhat
amusing.  Looking  back  now, I find it rather sad.  Interestingly, most of
our mutual friends now know I'm not gay and don't think any the less of her
(or  me)  for it.  Was all that effort wasted?  It's certainly a shame that
anyone even thought it might be necessary.

   ... sitting in a pile of junk on the runway, wondering what happened ...

The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

annab@azure.UUCP (A_Beaver) (01/11/85)

> this group of ``friends'' included gays of both sexes, and she claimed
> that they both had this prejudice.)
>
> Is this woman's experience unusual?  Or does this just go to show
> how prejudice exists in every group, even those who are themselves
> victims of it?
>
> 		-Ed Hall

	I have several Gay friends, mostly female, and I would say that
what your friend expressed is quite common. I remember one friend raving
about how she just couldn't understand how her lover could go out and get
pregnent and try to say see was gay.(They had broken up over it). She said
that she felt people should make up their mind and be who they say they are,
not say what they think you want to hear.

		A Beaver