[net.women] Burning Indian brides--one who won't

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (01/18/85)

[For those joining us at this point--there was a series of postings a couple
of months ago about how in India a husband's family expects a large dowry from
the wife's family, non-payment of which may cause the husband's family to burn
the woman to death.]

I had an Indian friend when I was a student, who has since returned to India
and married. His wife is also American-educated, so they understand each
other's bi-cultural outlook. My friend was in town last week and we went out
for drinks one evening. Getting in a dig at him (not expecting that a forward-
looking Indian would ask for a dowry, of course) I said,
	"So, how much dowry did you get with your wife? Did they pay plenty
to get rid of her?"
	And he said "No, nothing; _she's_ the dowry!"

Now that's the right way to think about it.

jcp@brl-tgr.ARPA (Joe Pistritto <jcp>) (01/18/85)

In article <2283@mit-hermes.ARPA> jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) writes:
>I had an Indian friend when I was a student, who has since returned to India
>and married. His wife is also American-educated, so they understand each
>other's bi-cultural outlook. My friend was in town last week and we went out
>for drinks one evening. Getting in a dig at him (not expecting that a forward-
>looking Indian would ask for a dowry, of course) I said,
>	"So, how much dowry did you get with your wife? Did they pay plenty
>to get rid of her?"
>	And he said "No, nothing; _she's_ the dowry!"
>
>Now that's the right way to think about it.

A more common attitude in India today than you might think.  I am
currently negotiating with an Indian family to marry their daughter,
they asked if I wanted a dowry, to which I replied no (although it
was an interesting idea).  Incidentally I'm not Indian.  Actually,
the family was pleasantly surprised, (since they knew that I knew
I could ask for one, and apparently expected me to.)

						-JCP=