[net.women] Self Defence

linscomb@ut-ngp.UUCP (Thomas J. Linscomb) (01/26/85)

> From: ddb@mrvax.DEC (DAVID DYER-BENNET MRO1-2/L14 DTN 231-4076)
>
> It has also been pointed out that it may well be better to worry about
> standing trial for killing your attacker, than to worry about recovering
> from the damage done to you in the attack.

Which is the maxim:

Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.

----------
linscomb@ut-ngp aka Thomas J. Linscomb

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (02/02/85)

In article <1246@ut-ngp.UUCP> linscomb@ut-ngp.UUCP (Thomas J. Linscomb) writes:
>> From: ddb@mrvax.DEC (DAVID DYER-BENNET MRO1-2/L14 DTN 231-4076)
>>
>> It has also been pointed out that it may well be better to worry about
>> standing trial for killing your attacker, than to worry about recovering
>> from the damage done to you in the attack.
>
>Which is the maxim:
>
>Better to be judged by twelve then carried by six.
>
>----------
>linscomb@ut-ngp aka Thomas J. Linscomb

A recent survey I heard quoted on the radio one morning this week
(I honestly can not remember the source but if I do I will post it)
found that women who ahd fought of an attacker or rapeist suffered
far worse emotional problems than the women who had been raped etc.
I find this hard to believe but I woould be interested in hearing from
the net about it.
Anything I get I will summarize back to the net.

Jeanette Zobjeck      ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie

From the mostly vacant environment of  Jeanette L. Zobjeck (ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie)

All opinions expressed may not even be my own.

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (02/04/85)

It's very difficult for me to believe this particular survey (women who
fight off attackers/rapists suffer more emotional damage than those who
are attacked or raped).  I have personally fought off and/or bluffed off
a few attackers myself, and have felt immense relief afterwards.

I hope that surveys like these don't stop women from fighting those who mean
them harm.

Mikki Barry