[net.women] Strip Searches

cliff@unmvax.UUCP (01/25/85)

"SAN FRANCISCO (October 20, 1983)

Female inmates of San Quentin prison will have to endure strip searches and
showers under the scrutiny of male guards, says a Federal judge who ruled that
privacy is secondary to security.

U.S. District Judge Spencer Williams yesterday dismissed a class-action suit
brought by three inmates who complained it was humiliating to be naked in front
of male guards at the maximum-security facility.  They also complained some of
the male guards verbally harassed them.

Williams said use of male guards didn't violate the inmates' constitutional
right to privacy and said security needs justified the physical observation
and hands-on searches by correctional officers, including men.

The ruling protects men's employment rights in correctional facilities, said
California Attorney General John Van de Kamp."

I don't like it!  Seems to me there it shouldn't be hard to hire female guards
for that purpose.  What do others think?

			--Cliff

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (01/25/85)

> Female inmates of San Quentin prison will have to endure strip searches and
> showers under the scrutiny of male guards, says a Federal judge who ruled that
> privacy is secondary to security.
>
> U.S. District Judge Spencer Williams yesterday dismissed a class-action suit
> brought by three inmates who complained it was humiliating to be naked in front
> of male guards at the maximum-security facility.  They also complained some of
> the male guards verbally harassed them.
>
> Williams said use of male guards didn't violate the inmates' constitutional
> right to privacy and said security needs justified the physical observation
> and hands-on searches by correctional officers, including men.
>
> The ruling protects men's employment rights in correctional facilities, said
> California Attorney General John Van de Kamp."
>
> I don't like it!  Seems to me there it shouldn't be hard to hire female guards
> for that purpose.  What do others think?
>
> 			--Cliff

Where is the Bill of Rights when we need it?  Cruel & unusual (well, at least
cruel and I hope unusual but I wouldn't bet on it) punishment if ever I heard
of it.  Customs and the police routinely use women to search women.  That
judge should be subject to much free publicity when he's up for election
next.
Aghast,
Nemo

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (01/26/85)

Prisons exist for punishment, and I think it is actually stated in the law
somewhere (knowledgeable folks, correct me) that when it comes to civil
rights in prison, all bets are off.  If there are female guards at the place
(no reason there shouldn't be...), some effort should be made to have them do
the searches.  BUT I don't want MY tax dollars being spent to hire SPECIAL
guards just to perform these searches (and women shouldn't be given
preference in hiring just because of this).

Of course, if there are female guards and it is "impossible" to reallocate
them, the men in the prison don't have a right to complain if women perform
THEIR searches.

							-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (01/28/85)

>From: mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio)
>Subject: Re: Strip Searches
>
>Prisons exist for punishment, and I think it is actually stated in the law
>somewhere (knowledgeable folks, correct me) that when it comes to civil
>rights in prison, all bets are off.  If there are female guards at the place
>(no reason there shouldn't be...), some effort should be made to have them do
>the searches.  BUT I don't want MY tax dollars being spent to hire SPECIAL
>guards just to perform these searches (and women shouldn't be given
>preference in hiring just because of this).

Prisons supposedly exist for rehabilitation (it's very hard  to  type  that
with  a  straight face).  That's where the term "house of correction" comes
from.  In fact prisons today serve mainly to warehouse criminals  and  keep
them  off  the  streets for a while.  The punishment part is an artifact of
human nature in that particular situation. (Some very  scary  psychological
studies exist on this phenomenon.)

I don't see how having female prisoners stripped  and  humiliated  by  male
guards is going to help rehabilitate anyone.  Being stripped and humiliated
by female guards isn't much better (I have that on testimony  of  a  friend
with  first  hand  experience).  Since  no  real rehabilitation is going on
anyway, your tax dollars are being wasted no matter who they hire.

Whether rehabilitation is possible with today's psychology is  doubtful  in
most  cases.  On the other hand, even an empirical look at recidivism rates
shows that punishment doesn't work either.  I don't say that prisons should
resemble   resort   hotels,  but  even  a  warehouse  doesn't  have  to  be
brutalizing.  Since the law requires the hiring of female guards anyway,  I
see  nothing  preventing  them  being assigned to appropriate locations and
duties.
The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (02/02/85)

>right to privacy and said security needs justified the physical observation
>and hands-on searches by correctional officers, including men.
>
>The ruling protects men's employment rights in correctional facilities, said
>California Attorney General John Van de Kamp."
>
>I don't like it!  Seems to me there it shouldn't be hard to hire female guards
>for that purpose.  What do others think?
>
>			--Cliff

It seems to me (my opinion only so flame by mail if you must)
That if any person is imprissoned for a crime they have, at least for
the duration of their sentence, been deprived of the right to claim
anything more of soociety than perhaps subsistance. In a prison there
is no right to privacy. If the guards are content with the situation
then thre is no reason fo complaint. If I, as a female, were in the
same situation as the guards in question I would be
more thana a little uncomfortable and would soon ask to be replaced
or relieved of the duty. I can hardly feel any sympathy for
the convicts but I can feel a bit of confusion at society
in the last 10 years or so, in that it appears that the criminal element
is afforded more protection then the people they prey upon.
From the mostly vacant environment of  Jeanette L. Zobjeck (ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie)

All opinions expressed may not even be my own.

jsz@bridge2.UUCP (Jay S. Zusman) (02/02/85)

> "SAN FRANCISCO (October 20, 1983)
>
> Female inmates of San Quentin prison will have to endure strip searches and
> showers under the scrutiny of male guards, says a Federal judge who ruled that
> privacy is secondary to security.
>
> U.S. District Judge Spencer Williams yesterday dismissed a class-action suit
> brought by three inmates who complained it was humiliating to be naked in front
> of male guards at the maximum-security facility.  They also complained some of
> the male guards verbally harassed them.
>
> Williams said use of male guards didn't violate the inmates' constitutional
> right to privacy and said security needs justified the physical observation
> and hands-on searches by correctional officers, including men.
>
> The ruling protects men's employment rights in correctional facilities, said
> California Attorney General John Van de Kamp."
>
> I don't like it!  Seems to me there it shouldn't be hard to hire female guards
> for that purpose.  What do others think?
>
> 			--Cliff

A person convicted of a crime and sentenced to prison loses certain
rights. Among these lost rights is the right to privacy. I have no
sympathy. If you behave as an animal you should not complain about
being treated as one. After all, we are talking about San Quentin,
not detention hall after school.

colonel@gloria.UUCP (George Sicherman) (02/10/85)

> A person convicted of a crime and sentenced to prison loses certain
> rights. Among these lost rights is the right to privacy. I have no
> sympathy. If you behave as an animal you should not complain about
> being treated as one. After all, we are talking about San Quentin,
> not detention hall after school.

Where's my oxy-acetylene torch?  Now, then ...

1. The question being debated is not whether a convict loses the
	right of privacy, but whether she ought to lose it.

2. You do not know the difference between a criminal and an animal.

3. The only objective truth in your article is the statement "I
	have no sympathy." It is all the commentary you needed to
	make.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...decvax!sunybcs!gloria!colonel

daver@hp-pcd.UUCP (daver) (02/18/85)

>I don't like it!  Seems to me there it shouldn't be hard to hire female guards
>for that purpose.  What do others think?

This same excuse was used to keep women sports reporters out of locker rooms.
What do people think of that?

Dave Rabinowitz
hplabs!hp-pcd!daver