[net.women] Gosh, I hope this doesn't bury me

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (02/08/85)

Well, now I'm gonna say something that is bound to be unpopular with a
number of the readers.  Please be sure that I mean no personal slam, and
that I am speaking from my own opinion, etc.

Abortion is a very unsettled issue, and there are many points of
disagreement.  We will ultimately need to decide, as a democratic society,
on a solution.  However, since the laws of this country do not require the
equal responsibility for childbearing (and I mean equal in ALL senses of
emotional, financial, societal, etc. responsibility) by men, and since
medical science does not definitively identify the male parent of the
fetus, nor is a man capable to carry a fetus, I think this is an issue for
women.

Certainly men may have opinions, and notably do, across the spectrum.
However, they cannot have the ultimate responsibility because their bodies,
futures, careers, livelihood are not impacted by this issue EXCEPT by their
voluntary consent. (PLEASE NOTE:  I do, I really do, understand that both
partners in a sex act are presumed in most cases to be consenting.  I'm
speaking now of consent to conception - women do not have absolute control
over that.  Note the word absolute).

Frankly, I consider lack of birth control use to be nearly criminal
(assuming, of course, that one does not wish to conceive).  I am one of
those odd people who consider lack of education and forethought in most
actions of a human to be nearly criminal.  However, I can't see the
condemnation of so many women who haven't the smarts/education/strength of
self/street-savvy/luck/WHATEVER, and I particularly have a hard time
listening to men condemn them.  A man never faces this particular choice,
and never can.  He is, sheer physical fact, one step removed.  While I can
respect the viewpoints of many men, and at least respect the others' RIGHTS
to their viewpoints, I just wish men would hold to themselves, quietly for
a moment, the realization that the issue is uncharted land to them, and a
place that they cannot be.

I include this in net.women in respect for the many men who contribute.
I would welcome your responses in addition to the women.

vip@philabs.UUCP (V. I. P.) (02/14/85)

> listening to men condemn them.  A man never faces this particular choice,
> and never can.  He is, sheer physical fact, one step removed.  While I can
> respect the viewpoints of many men, and at least respect the others' RIGHTS
> to their viewpoints, I just wish men would hold to themselves, quietly for
> a moment, the realization that the issue is uncharted land to them, and a
> place that they cannot be.

Right on!  But try telling that to R. Reagan and J. Falwell, who assume
that a woman's greatest and highest calling is to be a receptacle for a man's
sperm.  Is there any woman in the world that wouldn't be honored with
the prospect of bearing one of their children, regardless of the circum-
stances?

					B. Day
		                        philabs!exquisit!brian

mat@hou4b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (02/19/85)

> ...  However, since the laws of this country do not require the equal
> responsibility for childbearing (and I mean equal in ALL senses of emotional,
> financial, societal, etc. responsibility) by men, and since medical science
> does not definitively identify the male parent of the fetus,

No longer true.  With enough effort, it IS possible to determine whether a
given individual is a parent.

>...  nor is a man capable to carry a fetus, ... this is an issue for women.

Red herring time, here.  ``Since Northerners can't own slaves, I don't think
they should be talking about the morality of slaveholding''

Not being personally involved has NEVER absolved an individual of guilt
earned by standing aside and letting bad things happen.

> Certainly men may have opinions, and notably do, across the spectrum.
> However, they cannot have the ultimate responsibility because their bodies,
> futures, careers, livelihood are not impacted by this issue EXCEPT by their
> voluntary consent.

I agree that nature has placed a greater burden on women in the process of
creating the next generation.  That greater responsibility DOES NOT MEAN that
power over life and death should be granted to an individual.

The issue is simple.  Can we be reasonably sure that what we are destroying
is not the moral/ethical equivalent of a human being?  If it is, no amount of
sophistry about the burdens that nature has placed can excuse destroying it.

> ... and I particularly have a hard time listening to men condemn them.

There is a difference between condemning a horribly mistaken act and condemning
the indivisual who does the act ... although I have to admit it is difficult
not to condemn those ``doctors'' who make death their profession.

I also fail to understand why our society does not support women through
pregnancy.  If raising a future generation is important to us, women ought
to be given vast allowances of time off (with pay) for childbirth and for
a child's early years, and such women ought to get preferential treatment
when they re-enter the workforce.  This is where ``sharing the burden'' comes
in.  Note I said sharing, NOT destroying.

NOW LET'S GET THIS OUT OF NET.WOMEN!
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou4b!mat

nap@druxo.UUCP (Parsons) (02/19/85)

>             If raising a future generation is important to us, women ought
> to be given vast allowances of time off (with pay) for childbirth and for
> a child's early years, and such women ought to get preferential treatment
> when they re-enter the workforce.  This is where ``sharing the burden'' comes
> in.

"...and for a child's early years"?  This is "sharing the burden"???  Nothing
in "nature" keeps a woman from working during a child's early years.  (I
know of a company that makes it possible for women to breast feed their
babies while employed.)

If men are to "share the burden," they need to start thinking in terms of
*their* taking time off during their children's early years, especially if
they feel that children should be kept with a parent rather than left with
a sitter or in daycare.  (By the way, pro-lifers, it is your unwillingness
to deal with this issue, more than anything else in my opinion, that
discredits you in the eyes of many women who see you as utterly unconcerned
for them.  You are willing to tell them to sacrifice for the life of an
unborn child, but are you willing to insist on men "sacrificing careers"
so that the burden is shared?)

No amount of "preferential treatment" is going to make up for lack of
experience in a profession (which staying home, out of the profession,
guarantees happening).

Nancy Parsons
AT&T ISL

pmd@cbscc.UUCP (Paul Dubuc) (02/19/85)

>> listening to men condemn them.  A man never faces this particular choice,
>> and never can.  He is, sheer physical fact, one step removed.  While I can
>> respect the viewpoints of many men, and at least respect the others' RIGHTS
>> to their viewpoints, I just wish men would hold to themselves, quietly for
>> a moment, the realization that the issue is uncharted land to them, and a
>> place that they cannot be.
>>
>Right on!  But try telling that to R. Reagan and J. Falwell, who assume
>that a woman's greatest and highest calling is to be a receptacle for a man's
>sperm.  Is there any woman in the world that wouldn't be honored with
>the prospect of bearing one of their children, regardless of the circum-
>stances?
>					B. Day
>		                        philabs!exquisit!brian

I'd like to know how the pro-choice stance in any way mitigates the
attitude of men that women are a receptacle for their sperm?  If anything
it seems to make her a more convenient, less consequential, an reusable
receptacle.  Since you're imputing certain motives to Falwell and Reagan
for their stance, I wonder what could be said along the same lines about
men who wave the banner of "reproductive freedom" for women.  Let's see,
these men want women to have freedom to have sex without any unwanted
consequences.  Who would they want them to have this freedom with?  Why
*them* of course!  What an honor!

Asbestos sheild ready,
--

Paul Dubuc	cbscc!pmd

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (02/19/85)

>Right on!  But try telling that to R. Reagan and J. Falwell, who assume
>that a woman's greatest and highest calling is to be a receptacle for a man's
>sperm.  Is there any woman in the world that wouldn't be honored with
>the prospect of bearing one of their children, regardless of the circum-
>stances?
>
>					B. Day
>		                        philabs!exquisit!brian

		*****  ME !!!!  *****

From the mostly vacant environment of  Jeanette L. Zobjeck (ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie)

All opinions expressed may not even be my own.

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (02/20/85)

In article <1330@hou4b.UUCP> mat@hou4b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) writes:

>NOW LET'S GET THIS OUT OF NET.WOMEN!

One easy way to do so is with the "Followup-To" entry in the header.
Simply set that field to net.abortion, as I have done in this article,
and it's done (assuming up to date software, etc, etc).

--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (02/21/85)

GO AWAY!  ALL OF YOU!

I try not to read net.abortion anymore because everyone always has the same
silly arguments about the same old stuff.  Nothing ever changes there.
However, I have the right *not* to read the drivel that pours forth there.
Please, please, please, leave that junk where it belongs....in the news group
especially made for it.  Maybe the rest of us will even read it as an example
of an argument that will go nowhere, yet is perpetuated ad infinitum.

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (02/21/85)

DOES ANYONE HERE KNOW HOW TO USE AN EDITOR?!?!?!?

It is very easy to take out the two little words separated by a dot "net.women"
Why don't you do it?  Or do you believe we really *want* to be "educated" by
your ridiculous ideas?  Implying that women should not have reproductive
freedom does *not* belong in net.women.  We've heard it all before and most
of us have already made our decisions concerning it.  You are doing nothing
but ANNOYING people on both sides by rehashing old and moldy arguments.  Or
don't you realize that we are NOT INTERESTED!  If we want to read your crapola
we will read net.abortion.

AGAIN!  GO AWAY!