[net.women] Law and Christianity

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (02/24/85)

In article <5077@utzoo.UUCP> laura@utzoo.UUCP (Laura Creighton) writes:

>Is the primary  reason that Christians have given  up witch
>burning that they think that either there never were witches or that, if
>there were, they have killed all of them off?

In Gyn/Ecology by Mary Daly a clear line of evolution is shown from the
burning of millions of women in Europe, through the female mutilations of
the 19th Century, up to the lobotomies and shock treatments of today.

In all my reading of net.women and net.books, I have never seen mention
of this work.  Reading this book is like reading about the holocaust--if
you believe that what you are reading is true, then the only sane reaction
is outrage.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (02/26/85)

> In Gyn/Ecology by Mary Daly a clear line of evolution is shown from the
> burning of millions of women in Europe, through the female mutilations of
> the 19th Century, up to the lobotomies and shock treatments of today.
>
> Richard Mateosian
> {allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

I have never heard of this book or author, but I am interested because of
what you didn't say here.  MILLIONS of women were burned as witches or
whatever in Europe?  Female mutilations; is this like foot-binding or is
there more?  Are you saying lobotomies and shock treatment are used to
torture (for pleasure or control) women?  I really am interested in more
detail.  If my slightly slanted questions received affirmative answers, I
would like to know what evidence (FACTS) the author gives.  It seems a
cover-up of this proportion would be near impossible [:-/-)].

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (02/27/85)

> > In Gyn/Ecology by Mary Daly a clear line of evolution is shown from the
> > burning of millions of women in Europe, through the female mutilations of
> > the 19th Century, up to the lobotomies and shock treatments of today.
> >
> > Richard Mateosian
> > {allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA
>
> I have never heard of this book or author, but I am interested because of
> what you didn't say here.  MILLIONS of women were burned as witches or
> whatever in Europe?  Female mutilations; is this like foot-binding or is
> there more?  Are you saying lobotomies and shock treatment are used to
> torture (for pleasure or control) women?  I really am interested in more
> detail.  If my slightly slanted questions received affirmative answers, I
> would like to know what evidence (FACTS) the author gives.  It seems a
> cover-up of this proportion would be near impossible [:-/-)].

	I am assuming that what is referred to here is the various means
exercised by male-dominated social heirarchies to discourage or control
women through the years. The Malleus Mallifactorum (sp ?), the "Hammer
of Witches", is one of the most misogynous books i have ever read. It is
obvious tha the authors hated and feared women and did everything in
their power to keep women from having any power in society. On a modern
level, it seems that psychiatrists have become the new witch-hunters. It
is much easier to put women away than men, for example. For an excellent
book on the subject, I suggest Dr. Phyllis Chesler's "Women and Madness".
You might find it a good introduction to the subject if you object to
more overtly feminist books like Daly's "Gyn/Ecology".

--

jcpatilla

"'Get stuffed !', the Harlequin replied ..."

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (02/27/85)

> > In Gyn/Ecology by Mary Daly a clear line of evolution is shown from the
> > burning of millions of women in Europe, through the female mutilations of
> > the 19th Century, up to the lobotomies and shock treatments of today.
> >
> > Richard Mateosian
> > {allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA
>
> I have never heard of this book or author, but I am interested because of
> what you didn't say here.  MILLIONS of women were burned as witches or
> whatever in Europe?  Female mutilations; is this like foot-binding or is
> there more?  Are you saying lobotomies and shock treatment are used to
> torture (for pleasure or control) women?  I really am interested in more
> detail.  If my slightly slanted questions received affirmative answers, I
> would like to know what evidence (FACTS) the author gives.  It seems a
> cover-up of this proportion would be near impossible [:-/-)].

I'll also add that by female mutilations, people usually mean foot-binding,
among other things, but the primary item is the clitorectomy, the removal
of a girl's clitoris to greatly reduce her future pleasure in sex (don't
want them to ahve any fun. now do we ?). This is still practiced in many
African and Near Eastern cultures and is probably the most pervasive type
of female mutilation still extant. In some places, the girl is made to
sit in a cold stream all night and the clitoris is removed in the morning
(when she is more or less numb) with a piece of broken glass; in other,
so-called "civilised" societies, the girl is seized out of sleep by her
female relatives and the doctor slashes her while she is only half-awake
and cannot even protest (she has little choice).

(My sources of information come largely through my college major, which was
social and cultural anthropology)

--

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (03/04/85)

> I'll also add that by female mutilations, people usually mean foot-binding,
> among other things, but the primary item is the clitorectomy, the removal
> of a girl's clitoris to greatly reduce her future pleasure in sex (don't
> want them to ahve any fun. now do we ?). This is still practiced in many
> African and Near Eastern cultures and is probably the most pervasive type
> of female mutilation still extant.
>
> jcpatilla

Does anyone know what reasons (excuses) such societies state for their
practice of clitorectomy?  I doubt that they actually claim that they do
it in order to reduce the girl's future pleasure.  In the U.S., large
numbers of unnecessary hysterectomies have been performed under the name
of "health".  I'm always interested in how people justify their behavior.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (03/07/85)

> > I'll also add that by female mutilations, people usually mean foot-binding,
> > among other things, but the primary item is the clitorectomy, the removal
> > of a girl's clitoris to greatly reduce her future pleasure in sex (don't
> > want them to ahve any fun. now do we ?). This is still practiced in many
> > African and Near Eastern cultures and is probably the most pervasive type
> > of female mutilation still extant.
> >
> > jcpatilla
> >

> Does anyone know what reasons (excuses) such societies state for their
> practice of clitorectomy?  I doubt that they actually claim that they do
> it in order to reduce the girl's future pleasure.  In the U.S., large
> numbers of unnecessary hysterectomies have been performed under the name
> of "health".  I'm always interested in how people justify their behavior.
> --
> Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)

I have heard two excuses.  The first is that it reduces the probability
of adultery.  Since this practice occurs in countries where the penalties
for adultery are already severe (for the woman) one might think additional
precautions were superfluous.  However, the same culture that prescribes
death for adultery is unlikely to draw the line at mutililation to
prevent it.  The second is not so much a justification as a defense;
"This is our culture.  It's none of your business."  Of course, the
same can be said for burning heretics or executing political prisoners.
(Come to think of it, I think the same *has* been said for these practices.)

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

*Anyone who wants to claim these opinions is welcome to them.*

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (03/08/85)

> Does anyone know what reasons (excuses) such societies state for their
> practice of clitorectomy?  I doubt that they actually claim that they do
> it in order to reduce the girl's future pleasure.  In the U.S., large
> numbers of unnecessary hysterectomies have been performed under the name
> of "health".  I'm always interested in how people justify their behavior.
> --
> Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
> aka Swazoo Koolak

 	I am told that there was an article in "Ms." last year sometime,
by a Eqyptian doctor who herself suffered a clitorectomy as a girl. This
and the responding letters which confirm the practice are supposedly
very interesting. If anyone can find these and summarize for the net, it
would be greatly appreciated.

jcpatilla