[net.women] Let's play, \"Let's say . . . \"

arndt@lymph.DEC (03/18/85)

Let's say that the ERA was passed.  :- :-

Would the Supreme Court someday rule that the laws against rape were sex baised
and unfairly pressed against only men and therefore unconstitutional???

Would, therefore, only the laws of assault apply?  (And be darned hard to prove!

Just wondering,

Ken Arndt

lisa@mit-vax.UUCP (Lisa Chabot) (03/19/85)

You assuming that men only rape men, Ken?

Rape is not always hard to prove, either.

	...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot
UUCP:	...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot
ARPA:	...chabot%amber.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (03/21/85)

In article <4902@mit-vax.UUCP> lisa@mit-vax.UUCP (Lisa Chabot) writes:
>You assuming that men only rape men, Ken?

There was a story recently around the Bay area about a case of female rape.
We had a sailor forced into a van, physically abused, and then sexually
assaulted by two women. He was evidently pretty shaken up, both physically
and mentally, and has been shipped back east to be with his family (he was
married) while he goes through therapy.

For all the simpering males out there who think that an escapade like this
might actually be enjoyable (the ultimate in zipless?) may I point out to
you that you might change your mind if you find your self in a position of
taking the wrong end of a tire iron if you can't get it up-- that would be
a rather unnerving experience, and if you don't believe me, may someone
give you the opportunity to find out.

Rape is a crime of violence, not of romance, and is independent of emotion
and gender.

chuq
--
Chuq Von Rospach, National Semiconductor
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

Be seeing you!

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (03/22/85)

Let's say... that Ken Arndt realized that men (and boys) are
raped sometimes, too. And that the Supreme Court, in its
supposed wisdom, also knew this fact. How would that affect
their possible consideration of the rape laws as unconstitutional?

It's a crock, Ken. And you know it.

dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) (03/26/85)

[]
Hi, Ken!

>Would the Supreme Court someday rule that the laws against rape were sex
>biased and unfairly pressed against only men and therefore unconstitutional???

A couple of days ago, I read an article about an exhaustive study that
had been done on crime, based on interviews with about 2.5 million people.
If I remember correctly, they estimated that in the 10 years between
1972 and 1982, there were about 1.5 million rapes, of which about 125
thousand involved male victims. They didn't say how many cases involved
female rapists.

Isaac Dimitrovsky