[net.women] women's place

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (03/01/85)

	Recently a women's talk show air on a Madison,Wisconsin TV
station featured3 transexual women (male to female ).
One of them was the first in the United States. Another one was
a housewife and the third was pre-surgical.
	The interesting, or perhaps unsettling thing I noted was
during the part of the show when questions from the audience were
answered.

	One older woman who apparently, judging only by her accent,
asked the questions:

	1) Can you have children?
		A) No.

	2) If you can not have children than what good are you as
	   women?
		A) We feel equal, whole, a part of the world.

	The thought here which bothers me is How many of us out there
in the world feel that our prime function in this world is to have babies.
I feel I have a lot more to contribute then simply increasing the population.
Since there are also many women who, for one reason or another, can not
have children. Does that fact also make them useless, non-contributing
hangers on in society or does the fact that they were born with a
females body make them exempt from that concept. Is it only wrong to
BECOME  (physically) a woman who can not have children because your
body once had the wrong parts on it.
I am perhaps oversimplifying the sex change asspect because it is only
important as background. The important, as I see it, issue is the attitude
which says we, as women, have a requirement to maintain our place and
to live as if reproduction was our only job in life.
Since procreation takes both sexes why then shouldn't males also
be burdened with guilt for not being primarily concerned with the
making of babies and with a career or what ever second?

Women will never be free of the fact that they carry the child inside them
but this is not, again to me, the main reason we exist nor should it be.
As a group in the working arena we must work very hard as individuals
to keep attitudes like this (which we probably grew up with) from
holding us back.

jeanette l. zobjeck				All opinions expressed
						in this article are
       wlcrjs!					strictly my own !!!!
ihnp4!<       >zubbie
       ihlpa!

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (03/03/85)

> 	2) If you can not have children than what good are you as
> 	   women?
>
> 	The thought here which bothers me is How many of us out there
> in the world feel that our prime function in this world is to have babies.

> Women will never be free of the fact that they carry the child inside them
> but this is not, again to me, the main reason we exist nor should it be.
> As a group in the working arena we must work very hard as individuals
> to keep attitudes like this (which we probably grew up with) from
> holding us back.
>
> jeanette l. zobjeck
 I agree.
	As a young girl, grade school, I remember how the attitudes of
	'you're just going to grow up and have babies anyway, so why
	study? Your husband will support you and you should concentrate
	on learning to be a good housewife. Take home-ec.'	I wanted
	to take shop.
	You know, that is a terrible thing to tell a girl. If she respects
	your attitudes, she might believe you.		I did.

	Most folks are surprised when they find out that I have a 15 yr old
	daughter and a 14 yr old son (I'm 32). They are even more surprised
	if they find out that it was PLANNED that way. I was married for
	almost a year when I got pregnant. I figured that I could do a good
	job as a housewife and I might as well have my children while I was
	young. Then I would still be young enough to enjoy life when they
	grew up.	As it turned out, my choice of a husband was not at
	all a good one. (I'm trying not to express what an *%&*;{# he turned
	out to be.)	Let's just say that after 4 yrs we parted company.
	So, there I was at 19 with two small children and no skills to speak
	of. And he has never payed support. (I even took him to court several
	times.)	(Thank <whoever> for an understanding set of parents)
	(If only they would have not promoted those very Ideas which Zubbie
	was talking about)
	The only insight I can give to my daughter at this point, is that it
	is probably MUCH easier to go to school and THEN get a full time job,
	instead of doing them at the same time as I have for the past 7 yrs.

	Anyway, now that I can no longer have children I don't feel any LESS
	of a woman. In fact, I think that life is great.

		"And what do you want to be when you grow up, little girl?"
			"I want to be an engineer.	'Toot... Toot..'"

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Liz Sommers) (03/05/85)

> 	The thought here which bothers me is How many of us out there
> in the world feel that our prime function in this world is to have babies.
> I feel I have a lot more to contribute then simply increasing the population.
> Since there are also many women who, for one reason or another, can not
> have children. Does that fact also make them useless, non-contributing
> hangers on in society or does the fact that they were born with a
> females body make them exempt from that concept. Is it only wrong to
> BECOME  (physically) a woman who can not have children because your
> body once had the wrong parts on it.
>
> Women will never be free of the fact that they carry the child inside them
> but this is not, again to me, the main reason we exist nor should it be.
> As a group in the working arena we must work very hard as individuals
> to keep attitudes like this (which we probably grew up with) from
> holding us back.
>

> jeanette l. zobjeck				All opinions expressed

I have had a lot of time to think about this  since my  previous posting to
net.women.only.  (Thanks to all who answered my letter, I was not in great
shape to answer yours, but they cheered me up.)

I am one of those women who always had wanted to have children.  I am one
of ten (through various marriages) and had always enjoyed being part of a
family.  My mother juggled all the kids AND a career, but she would get
pregnant everytime she either got depressed or "fell in love".  She once
told me that "Being pregnant makes me feel like a woman."  I guess this
was insiduous.  I started trying to get pregnant when I was 18, I
succeeded when I was 26, then I had 3 abortions caused by medical
problems.  The last pregnancy (the 4th) was "healthy", I carried for 5
months and then had a hysterectomy caused by complications in deliverying
a dead, deformed baby.  As the doctor has pointed out - I had no choice
about the hysterectomy (placenta acreta, placenta previa, loss of 9 pints
of blood, shock, the whole bit) and I would probably NEVER have been able
to carry a live baby to term.  I have never managed a kid, and now I never
will.  I am 32.

Yow, can I go on?  Sorry, but I thought some background was necessarry).
Back to the question.

I think a lot of us have felt that if carrying a child was not our "prime
function", at least it was one that we were looking forward to and placed
a large amount of value on.  I know that I never wanted a "career", I
wanted a family and children.  A career is what my mother did, and it just
did not look all that exciting.  Besides, I have supported myself since I
was 14, working has never been an option, always a necessity.  I was
looking to find my identity in some version of the nuclear family.

Mom says "You were living in some '50's dream that did not work then."
Maybe too much Leave it to Beaver.  The urge to have a child is VERY
strong, even if it is not "politically correct".  The urge to nurture is
there, at least for me.  Yes, I am a self-supporting (sort of - pink
collar work doesn't pay too well), productive member of my society.  But
for me, there is something missing.  I notice that as my friends and
family get older, they also want children.  Myabe because being pregnant
feels so good, maybe because we would like someone to teach our mistakes
too.  My job was chosen because I could do it and raise a baby.

The thing is to find something to do as interesting as raising another
person.  I do not feel satisfied - but this is possibly because the job
opportunities open to women in my area are not terribly satisfying.
Contrary to popular opinion, after a certain age, hacking does not fulfill
all.  Being a big-shot programmer is sort of like mental masturbation in a
way, I don't really want to go teach calculus, and I will not work for
business on moral grounds.  Options are limited by the economy as well as
by the sexist attitudes in Amerika.

Sheeet, I guess I didn't answer your question, but maybe I gave some point
of view.

liz

ps.  PLEASE PLEASE do NOT send me flames about adoption.   I am  not in any
emotional,physical,  financial  or  maritial  state  to  make  such a thing
feasible at this time.
--
liz sommers
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers

chris@pyuxc.UUCP (R. Hollenbeck) (03/06/85)

> 	The thought here which bothers me is How many of us out there
> in the world feel that our prime function in this world is to have babies.

> jeanette l. zobjeck				All opinions expressed

  Absolutely not.  On the other hand, it is the primary reason for
  the human race having both women and men.

> Since there are also many women who, for one reason or another, can not
> have children. Does that fact also make them useless, non-contributing
> hangers on in society or does the fact that they were born with a
> females body make them exempt from that concept. Is it only wrong to
> BECOME  (physically) a woman who can not have children because your
> body once had the wrong parts on it.

  No, don't let anyone tell you you have to have babies, or, for that
  matter, that you have to do anything.  Most such rules come from
  people trying to justify their own decisions by asking you to replicate
  them.

>Contrary to popular opinion, after a certain age, hacking does not fulfill
>all.
>liz sommers

  As a non-hacker, I'm really glad to hear this.

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (03/07/85)

>  "I want to be an engineer.	'Toot... Toot..'"

Reminds me of the *wonderful* song by Peggy Seeger, recounting an episode
similar in many respects to what Zubbie and Annadiana have been
complaining about.  If you can find a recording (or even better see
Peggy and Ewan MacColl (sp?) when they tour), by all means do!
I'll see if I can find (and can post without violating copyright)
the lyrics.  I'll certainly post a reference to a recording when
I dig it up.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (03/15/85)

> liz sommers:
>                                     The urge to have a child is VERY
> strong, even if it is not "politically correct".

To my mind, at least, the urge to have a child is not, in and of
itself, politically incorrect.  Women (and men, too) need the freedom
to *choose* to want to have children.  What's wrong is the *assumption*
that they'll want to.  Many women want to have kids because of the
societal pressure generated by this assumption.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

fek@wuphys.UUCP (Frank Kramer) (03/27/85)

NOTE: To those who subscribe to the "creationist theory" of life on
earth - disregard the paragraph below.

The very idea that bearing children is a response to societal pressure
is absurd.  We are here because our ancestors were very good at siring
and bearing children (who can live to reproduce).  Society in the
Peoples Republic of China demands that one child per couple be the
normal limit.  That particular societal pressure results in things
like female infanticide because, for some strange reason, people seem
inclined to have children to pass on their genes (and their names)
regardless of societal pressure to the contrary.  We have children
because that particular propensity is in hardware for the great
majority of human beings.

As a final opinion, would all of those people who think that
childbearing precludes economic productivity please come out of the
trees and join our society.  And would those who think that having the
ability to bear children and the pursuance of that abilty is somehow
a source of shame please go into the mountains for a good weekend of
careful self-examination.

That's all,

Frank
!ihnp4!wuphys

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (04/01/85)

In article <241@wuphys.UUCP> fek@wuphys.UUCP (Frank Kramer) writes:

>That particular societal pressure results in things
>like female infanticide because, for some strange reason, people seem
>inclined to have children to pass on their genes (and their names)

Science lesson: female children will pass on your genes (with minor exceptions).

As for your name, there's nothing to prevent that either, although I'm not
an expert on PRC laws and customs.

--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA