[net.women] Margaret Sanger on shared responsibility for birth control

horton@harvard.ARPA (Nike Horton) (03/19/85)

	"In an ideal society, no doubt, birth control would become
	the concern of the man as well as the woman.  The hard,
	unescapable fact which we encounter today is that man has not
	only refused any such responsibility, but has individually and
	collectively sought to prevent woman from obtaining knowledge by
	which she could assume this responsibility for herself."

		Margaret Sanger, *Woman and the New Race*, 1920

While perhaps the latter has changed, it seems from the previous
discussion that for the most part, the former is still valid.
--
Nicholas Horton	    	    System Manager
Cambridge, MA               Aiken Computation Lab

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (03/22/85)

In article <496@harvard.ARPA> horton@harvard.ARPA (Nike Horton) writes:

>	"In an ideal society, no doubt, birth control would become
>	the concern of the man as well as the woman.  The hard,
>	unescapable fact which we encounter today is that man has not
>	only refused any such responsibility, but has individually and
>	collectively sought to prevent woman from obtaining knowledge by
>	which she could assume this responsibility for herself."
>
>		Margaret Sanger, *Woman and the New Race*, 1920
>

>While perhaps the latter has changed, it seems from the previous
>discussion that for the most part, the former is still valid.
>--
>Nicholas Horton	    	    System Manager
>Cambridge, MA               Aiken Computation Lab
>UUCP:  {genrad,cbosgd}!wjh12!horton
>       {seismo,ihnp4,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!horton
>ARPA:  horton@harvard 	BITNET:  HARVUNXH%HORTON

The thought has not gone unnoticed but what is suprising to me
or perhaps it shouldnot be, are the factions who have not made
too much of the aspect with regard to birth control etc.

It is my body and it is therefore my responsibility if I end up
pregnant but once I am pregnant then the discussion seems to
taper off (no flames re abortion please).
The women of today have taken a greater initiative than our
mothers in this regard but essentially we are still at the
mercy of the concept that if there is any birth control
to be used it should be the woman's responsibility. This
is hogwash and the sooner we can get society to admit that
it takes two people to make children and so both parties
(read sexes if you will) have a vital and ongoing need to
share that responsibility. Without that sharing women will
never really ever be equal.
The usual cop-out by the way is that it is easier and
more spontanaity (sp) can be acheived if the woman takes
care of such things. I am not sure where that notion got
started but I would guess that it might have arisen after
women began attempting to have some control over the matter.
Men simply had to say, "OK Little Girl  - Go Ahead and
see to it so that we can be free to do as we please (as males
that meant a liscence to play ).

Some one said a penny for your thoughts
since these are my opinions I will make change for that
penny only

jeanette zobjeck

       wlcrjs!
ihnp4!<       >zubbie
       ihlpa!

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (03/30/85)

Previous comments on condoms in wallets, douches as "birth control in
movies" and a few other peccadillos convince me that people (men in
particular) aren't always rock-solid in how they approach the subject.
Since women carry all the biological risks ((risk of) pregnancy vs. side
effects of birth control) THEY should decide which set of risks they
like best.  [Side issue:  I wouldn't object if my partner specified that
that meant I supply condoms, or a specific variety of condoms.  If a
vasectomy were the issue that might require further discussion...]

I guess that works out to a gratuitous suggestion that women make a
point of taking care of things themselves, however they decide to do it.
If a woman is sexually active it makes sense for her to have ultimate
control over her fertility.  I don't know what that says about moral
responsibility or any other ethical question, nor who wants a license to
play (in response to Jeannette Zobjeck).  That suggestion is orthogonal
to spontaneity or anything else.

One other orthogonal issue  In my humble opinion, Margaret Sanger was a
wonderful person.  So was John Rock, even if the pill turns out to be the
wrong thing.

(Why wasn't it cathartic to write this?)

Oded Feingold			UUCP:	mitvax!oaf
MIT AI Lab			Arpa:	oaf%oz@mit-mc.ARPA
545 Tech Sq.			AT&T:	617-253-8598 work
Cambridge, Mass. 02139		617-371-1796 home (and answering machine)
--

susan@vaxwaller.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (04/03/85)

> Previous comments on condoms in wallets, douches as "birth control in
> movies" and a few other peccadillos convince me that people (men in
> particular) aren't always rock-solid in how they approach the subject.
> Since women carry all the biological risks ((risk of) pregnancy vs. side
> effects of birth control) THEY should decide which set of risks they
> like best.  [Side issue:  I wouldn't object if my partner specified that
> that meant I supply condoms, or a specific variety of condoms.  If a
> vasectomy were the issue that might require further discussion...]
>
> I guess that works out to a gratuitous suggestion that women make a
> point of taking care of things themselves, however they decide to do it.
> If a woman is sexually active it makes sense for her to have ultimate
> control over her fertility.  I don't know what that says about moral
> responsibility or any other ethical question, nor who wants a license to
> play (in response to Jeannette Zobjeck).  That suggestion is orthogonal
> to spontaneity or anything else.
>
> --
> Oded Feingold			UUCP:	mitvax!oaf
> MIT AI Lab			Arpa:	oaf%oz@mit-mc.ARPA
> 545 Tech Sq.			AT&T:	617-253-8598 work
> Cambridge, Mass. 02139		617-371-1796 home (and answering machine)

Men are not excused, legally or morally, from the care of a child which
they've fathered (a major biological risk of pregnancy)

	Susan Finkelman (415) 945-2274
	Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598
	{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex,rtech}!varian!susan