[net.women] Hofstadter on sexism in the English language

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (03/28/85)

The most interesting work of writing I have seen on sexism in the
English language is by Douglas Hofstadter (writing under the name
William Satire) and is called "A Person Paper on Purity in Language".
It can be found in his wonderful book "Metamagical Themas: Questing for
the Essence of Mind and Pattern".  Hofstadter is strongly in favor of
removing sexism from our language and writes about it in this paper
using biting sarcasm.  Included at the end of this message is an excerpt
from the paper (included without permission -- I don't think Hofstadter
would object).

			"Hey girl
			 As I've always said I prefer your lips red
			 Not what the good Lord made
			 But what he intended"

			Doug Alan
			 mit-eddie!nessus
			 Nessus@MIT-MC

P.S.  Here is the excerpt from "A Person Paper on Purity in Language":

It's high time someone blew the whistle on all the silly prattle about
revamping our language to suit the purposes of certain political
fanatics.  You know what I am talking about -- those who accuse speakers
of English of what they call "racism".  This awkward neologism,
constructed by analogy with the well-established term "sexism", does not
sit well in the ears, if I may mix my metaphors.  But let us grant that
in our society there may be injustices here and there in the treatment
of either race from time to time, and let us even grant these people
their terms "racism" and "racist".  How valid, however, are the claims
of the self-proclaimed "black libbers", or "negrists" -- those who would
radically change our language in order to "liberate" us poor dupes from
its supposed racist bias?

Most of the clamor, as you certainly know by now, revolves around the
age-old usage of the noun "white" and words built from it, such as
"chairwhite", "mailwhite", "repairwhite", "clergywhite", "middlewhite",
"Frenchwhite", "forwhite", "whitepower", "whiteslaughter",
"oneupswhiteship", "straw white", "whitehandle", and so on.  The
negrists claim that using the word "white", either in on its own or as a
component, to talk about *all* the members of the human species is
somehow degrading to blacks and reinforces racism.  Therefore the
libbers propose that we substitute "person" everywhere where "white" now
occurs.  Sensitive speakers of our secretary tongue of course find this
preposterous.  There is great beauty to a phrase such as "All whites are
created equal."  Our forebosses who framed the Declaration of
Indepedence well understood the poetry of our language.  Think how ugly
it would be to say "All persons are created equal.", or "All whites and
blacks are created equal."  Besides, as any schoolwhitey can tell you,
such phrases are redundant.  In most contexts, it is self-evident when
"white" is being used in an inclusive sense, in which case it subsumes
members of the darker race just as much as fairskins.

There is nothing denigrating to black people in being subsumed under the
rubric "white" -- no more than under the rubric "person".  After all,
white is a mixture of all the colors of the rainbow, including black.
Used inclusively, the word "white" has no connotations whatsoever of
race.  Yet many people are hung up on this point.  A prime example is
Abraham Moses, one of the more vocal spokeswhites for making such a
shift.  For years, Niss Moses, autheroon of the well-known negrist
tracts "A Handbook of Nonracist Writing" and "Words and Blacks", has had
nothing better to do than go around the country making speeches
advocating the downfall of "racist language" that ble objects to.  But
when you analyze bler objections, you find they all fall apart at the
seams.  Niss Moses says that words like "chairwhite" suggest to
people -- most especially impressionable young whiteys and blackeys --
that all chairwhites belong to the white race.  How absurd!  It is quite
obvious, for instance, that the chairwhite of the League of Black Voters
is going to be a black, not a white.  Nobody need think twice about it.
As a matter of fact, the suffix "white" is usually not pronounced with a
long "i" as in the noun "white", but like "wit", as in the terms
"saleswhite", "freshwhite", "penwhiteship", "first basewhite", and so
on.  It's just a simple and useful component in building race-neutral
words.

But Niss Moses would have you sit up and start hollering "Racism!"  In
fact, Niss Moses sees evidence of racism under every stone.  Ble has
written a famous article, in which ble vehemently objects to the
immortal and poetic words of the first white on the moon, Captain Nellie
Strongarm.  If you will recall, whis words were: "One small step for a
white, a giant step for whitekind."  This noble sentiment is anything
but racist; it is simply a celebration of a glorious moment in the
history of White.

Another of Niss Moses's shrill objections is to the age-old
differentiation of whites from blacks by the third-person pronouns "whe"
and "ble".  Ble promotes an absurd notion: that what we really need in
English is a single pronoun covering *both* races.  Numerous suggestions
have been made, such as "pe", "tey", and others.  These are all
repugnant to the nature of the English language, as the average white in
the street will testify, even if whe has no linguistic training
whatsoever.  Then there are the advocates of usages such as "whe or
ble", "whis or bler", and so forth.  This makes for monstrosities such
has the sentence "When the next president takes office, whe or ble will
have to choose whis or bler cabinet with great care, for whe or ble
would not want to offend any minorities."  Constrast this with the spare
elegance of the normal way of putting it, and there is no question which
way we ought to speak.  There are, of course, some yapping black libbers
who advocate writing "bl/whe" everywhere, which, aside from looking
terrible, has no reasonable pronunciation.  Shall be say "blooey" all
the time when we simply mean "whe"?  Who wants to sound like a white
with a chronic sneeze?

... I would merely point out to the overzealous that there are some
extravagant notions about language that should be recognized for what
they are: cheap attempts to let dogmatic, narrow minds enforce their
views on the speakers lucky enough to have inherited the richest, most
beautiful and flexible language on earth, a language whose traditions
run back through the centuries to such deathless poets as Milton,
Shakespeare, Wordsworth, Keats, Walt Whitwhite, and so many others.  Our
language owes an incalculable debt to these whites for their clarity of
vision and expression, and if the shallow minds of bandwagon-jumping
negrists succeed in destroying this precious heritage for all whites of
good will, that will be without any doubt, a truly female day in the
history of Northern White.

barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) (03/29/85)

BRAVO!  A wonderful article.  Thank you for sharing it with us.

Numeous Social Psych studies have been run on sexist languague and its
effect on the reader or listener regarding what type of person is
pictured.  It seems that both males and females picture men when
"he" is used, and a generic being when "they" is used.  Isn't this
worth a bit of grating on the ears until we get used to it?

I too was brought up with reading books that said "See Dick run, see Jane
watch".  It is a very tough thing to break out of.  Maybe using non
sexist languague is a step at a solution.

Mikki Barry

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (04/03/85)

In article <3917@mit-eddie.UUCP> barry@mit-eddie.UUCP (Mikki Barry) writes:
>I too was brought up with reading books that said "See Dick run, see Jane
>watch".  It is a very tough thing to break out of.  Maybe using non
>sexist languague is a step at a solution.
>
>Mikki Barry

It would perhaps be better if we eliminated pronouns from the language
altogether. That way  we would achieve several things:
1	Sexist lumping of society into the masculine gender
2	Haveing to try and use a plural  as a singular word
3	the confusion in using they and them would not appear
4	There would never be any confusion as to
	A	The gender refered to
	B	The person refered to.

Seems like I have heard some conversations go that way already .

......and the Barbara said that Jane said that George
	had been sleeping with Martha and Joe was going to kick
	Marks teeth in if it continued.

I dont know though .....................

From the mostly vacant environment of  Jeanette L. Zobjeck (ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie)

All opinions expressed may not even be my own.