[net.women] Clitor

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (03/08/85)

> > >                                        ...the clitorectomy, the removal
> > > of a girl's clitoris to greatly reduce her future pleasure in sex (don't
> > > want them to ahve any fun. now do we ?). This is still practiced in many
> > > African and Near Eastern cultures...
> >
> > Does anyone know what reasons (excuses) such societies state for their
> > practice of clitorectomy?
>
> I have heard two excuses.  The first is that it reduces the probability
> of adultery...

I wish I had some references to back my recollection up, but I seem to
recall reading about at least one area in Africa where the practice is
common where the folk belief is almost exactly the opposite: clitoridectomy
is held to   e n h a n c e   a woman's sexual pleasure, and adolescent
girls are expected to go through a period of intense and promiscuous sexual
activity immediately after going through the rites of passage that included
clitoridectomy.  Very hard to believe, I know, but that's a claim I've read.

>              ...The second is not so much a justification as a defense;
> "This is our culture.  It's none of your business."  Of course, the
> same can be said for burning heretics or executing political prisoners.

Another way of putting it, and the argument most often followed by Western
apologists for the practice, is that such an extremely arduous initiation
rite is a powerful social glue that holds a tribal or other group together.
These people view clitoridectomy as merely the female equivalent of the male
initiation rite of adult circumcision, and usually the two are practiced
together and are surrounded with similar rites and folklore.  Both are
acknowledged by their practitioners to be painful experiences but not to
harm later sex life.

As far as I know the debate is still raging between those who reject
clitoridectomy as barabarous under any circumstances and those who bow to
the natives' (and even the native women's) own beliefs on the matter.  Since
I neither have a clitoris nor a deep acquaintance with African tribal
culture, I tend to plead ignorance on the subject.

(All of the above, by the way, applies only to a particular variety of
clitoridectomy as practiced in parts of Africa; I've never heard anyone try
to justify it where it occurs as an offshoot of purdah.)

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (03/08/85)

> > > Does anyone know what reasons (excuses) such societies state for their
> > > practice of clitorectomy?
> >
> > I have heard two excuses.  The first is that it reduces the probability
> > of adultery...
>
> I wish I had some references to back my recollection up, but I seem to
> recall reading about at least one area in Africa where the practice is
> common where the folk belief is almost exactly the opposite: clitoridectomy
> is held to   e n h a n c e   a woman's sexual pleasure, and adolescent
> girls are expected to go through a period of intense and promiscuous sexual
> activity immediately after going through the rites of passage that included
> clitoridectomy.  Very hard to believe, I know, but that's a claim I've read.

At this point I think we do need references, or some knowledgeable netters.
I think that there are various degrees of clitorectomy practiced.  Perhaps
some of them, like male circumcision, do not affect sexual function.  Radical
clitorectomy surely must.

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

*Anyone who wants to claim these opinions is welcome to them.*

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (03/13/85)

> At this point I think we do need references, or some knowledgeable netters.
> I think that there are various degrees of clitorectomy practiced.  Perhaps
> some of them, like male circumcision, do not affect sexual function.  Radical
> clitorectomy surely must.

Susan Griffin's work, and Mary Daly's, focus on clitoridectomy
as one form of female mutilation (along with footbinding,
hysterectomy, and witchburning).  As I recall, there are
differing degrees of mutilation, but all affect sexual function.
Some are more permanently damaging and others more
infection-prone (i.e. excise the clitoris, scrape the vulva raw,
sew up the wound with palm fiber and bind the legs together till
it heals -- or the girl dies from the infection...)  I find it
extremely difficult to believe that any clitoridectomy can *not*
affect sexual pleasure, or affect it positively, considering the
function of the clitoris itself.  I would recommend reading
Daly's book _Gyn/Ecology_ for more detail.

		-- Ellen

andrews@ubc-cs.UUCP (James H. Andrews) (03/14/85)

In article <1073@utastro.UUCP> ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) writes:
>At this point I think we do need references, or some knowledgeable netters.
>I think that there are various degrees of clitorectomy practiced.  Perhaps
>some of them, like male circumcision, do not affect sexual function.  Radical
>clitorectomy surely must.

I'm not an expert on the forms of clitoridectomy practiced, but I'm sure that
if the operation involved only removing the clitoral hood, it would increase
sexual pleasure in exactly the same manner as circumcision is supposed to.
In fact the operations would be analogous as the clitoris is thought (by
Shere Hite among others) to be the homologue in women of the male penis.

Radical removal of the clitoris would certainly reduce pleasure as our culture
defines it, but IF the so-called G-spot exists it would be possible that
some cultures would place more emphasis on it than on the clitoris. (No
flames on G-spot, I know Shere Hite's opinions on that one too.)

                                       --Jamie.

jss@brunix.UUCP (Judith Schrier) (03/17/85)

An interesting description of and apologia for male and female circumcision
among the Kikukus of Kenya is given in "Toward Mount Kenya," by Jomo
Kenyatta. It was written when he was a student of anthropology in England,
and is an in-depth description of his own tribe's history and customs.

Sorry I can't find my copy to give the publisher and year (I think it was
published in the '40's).

judith schrier
brunix!jss

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (03/19/85)

> >ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac)
> >At this point I think we do need references, or some knowledgeable netters.
> >I think that there are various degrees of clitorectomy practiced.  Perhaps
> >some of them, like male circumcision, do not affect sexual function.  Radical
> >clitorectomy surely must.

> I'm not an expert on the forms of clitoridectomy practiced, but I'm sure that
> if the operation involved only removing the clitoral hood, it would increase
> sexual pleasure in exactly the same manner as circumcision is supposed to.
>                                        --Jamie.

Mary Daly in Gyn/Ecology describes three types of clitoridectomy
now being practiced in Saudi Arabia, Yemen, many North African
nations, and some of the other Middle Eastern countries:

1) a removal of the clitoris alone;
2) removal of the clitoris and labia
3) infibulation or clitoridectomy combined with a re-sewing of
the incision to decrease the size of the girl's vagina and
increase male sexual pleasure.

I doubt that the practitioners of clitoridectomy would be
interested in removal solely of the clitoral hood, since (at
least among the African nations) the clitoris is removed because
contact with it is supposed to render the male possibly impotent
and/or contribute to stillbirths.

(Incidentally, as a woman, I doubt that removal of the clitoral
hood would increase sexual pleasure.  I suspect that it would
cause over-sensitivity and great pain).

		-- Ellen

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (03/19/85)

> I'm not an expert on the forms of clitoridectomy practiced, but I'm sure that
> if the operation involved only removing the clitoral hood, it would increase
> sexual pleasure in exactly the same manner as circumcision is supposed to.
> In fact the operations would be analogous as the clitoris is thought (by
> Shere Hite among others) to be the homologue in women of the male penis.

Time for an anatomy lesson...

If I remember my Master's & Johnson, the clitoral hood is essential for
proper clitoral stimulation from intercourse.  Perhaps removing it would
increase stimulation for other forms of sexual contact--maybe excessively
so.  There are as many nerve endings in the tip of the clitoris as in the
entire head of the penis.  Many women find direct clitoral stimulation
painful.

(As an aside on the clitoris being a penis homologue--it is a big mistake
to think of the clitoris as a ``baby penis''.  Aside from having a higher
density of nerve receptors in its tip, the clitoris' root has as large and
as rich a blood supply as the penis--there is nothing ``undeveloped''
about it.  But they are definitely homologues, and embryologically
derive from the same structure.)

Yes, ``female circumcision'' can consist of removing part or all of the
clitoral hood, as well as being a euphemism for clitoridectomy.  I'll
leave it to someone more knowledgable to describe its history--it was
actually practiced in this country at one time.

> Radical removal of the clitoris would certainly reduce pleasure as our culture
> defines it, but IF the so-called G-spot exists it would be possible that
> some cultures would place more emphasis on it than on the clitoris. (No
> flames on G-spot, I know Shere Hite's opinions on that one too.)

I suspect that either sex is able to find alternative pathways for sexual
stimulation--personally, I think this is a good idea even for people
who haven't been mutilated.  But from all I've read, clitoridectomy would
do the same thing to sexual pleasure as lopping off the end of the penis.

>                                        --Jamie.

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (04/04/85)

There is an operation (mutilation) which was practiced on males
in certain primitive tribes in Africa and/or Micronesia.
It consists of slitting the penis on the bottom lengthwise
along the urethral canal, and is done before adolescence.
It does not prevent erections, but caused the penis to
spread out when erect, thus preventing intercourse.
If I remember correctly from my college course in anthropology,
this practice occurred mainly in matriarchical societies to
limit the number of males available for families.
There is also a technical name for this practice which I do
not remember.

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (04/07/85)

In article <563@homxb.UUCP> hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) writes:

>There is an operation (mutilation) which was practiced on males

>It consists of slitting the penis on the bottom lengthwise

>this practice occurred mainly in matriarchical societies to
>limit the number of males available for families.

Elizabeth Gould Davis described a similar practice in "The First Sex", but she
said that it was to increase the pleasure of the matriarchs.  She said a lot
of interesting things in that book, but I don't know how reliable they are.

Incidentally, I heard on the news a year or so ago that she had killed herself
at the age of 64.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA