[net.women] Left vs right brains

aouriri@ittvax.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (04/15/85)

Subject: Re: Shirt buttons
Newsgroups: net.women

> This has been bugging me lately...
>
> Does anyone know why (historically and currently) women's shirts button
> right over left and men's button left over right (or is it vice versa)?
> Why make the thing differently depending on who is supposed to wear it?
>
> Elizabeth Clayton
> ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-satan!clayton

A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.

The human brain is functionally divided into two lateral parts: The
left part handles mainly the sequential, rational and "scientific"
thoughts, while the right part handles the artistic, emotional
and philosophical thoughts. Schematically speaking, the left
part is the scientific/computer part, while the right part is the
artistic/philosophical part.

Statistically, most WOMEN are RIGHT-BRAINED (ie. the right part of
their brain is more developed than the left part), while most
MEN are LEFT-BRAINED. Whether this is the result of historical and
socio-cultural conditions of the female gender is a different
subject/topic.

Because the SYMMETRY of the human nervous system, the left part
of the brain controls the right parts of the human body (arms,
hands, legs..) while the right part of the brain controls the
left body parts.

Therefore, most women are cleverer with their left hands than
they are with their right hands, which makes it easier
for them to button right-over-left buttons than the other way
around. This is why male shirts are left over right buttoned,
while female shirts are right over left buttoned.

Also, statistically, more women are left-handed than men.

costin_2@h-sc1.UUCP (dan costin) (04/16/85)

> Subject: Re: Shirt buttons
> Newsgroups: net.women
>
> > This has been bugging me lately...
> >
> > Does anyone know why (historically and currently) women's shirts button
> > right over left and men's button left over right (or is it vice versa)?
> > Why make the thing differently depending on who is supposed to wear it?
> >
> > Elizabeth Clayton
> > ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-satan!clayton
>
> A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.

And I always thought it was that way so you could open your MOTOS' shirt
easily.

-dc

thau@h-sc1.UUCP (robert thau) (04/16/85)

> > Does anyone know why (historically and currently) women's shirts button
> > right over left and men's button left over right (or is it vice versa)?
> > Why make the thing differently depending on who is supposed to wear it?
>
> A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.
>
> The human brain is functionally divided into two lateral parts...
>
> Statistically, most WOMEN are RIGHT-BRAINED (ie. the right part of
> their brain is more developed than the left part), while most
> MEN are LEFT-BRAINED...

Handedness seems to me to be a lot more relevant that 'brainedness'
(whatever that means), and a majority of both sexes are right-handed.

Robert Thau
rst@tardis.ARPA
h-sc1%thau@harvard.ARPA

sasaki@harvard.ARPA (Marty Sasaki) (04/16/85)

> Subject: Re: Shirt buttons
> Newsgroups: net.women
>
> > This has been bugging me lately...
> >
> > Does anyone know why (historically and currently) women's shirts button
> > right over left and men's button left over right (or is it vice versa)?
> > Why make the thing differently depending on who is supposed to wear it?
> >
> > Elizabeth Clayton
> > ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-satan!clayton
>
> A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.

The reason is warfare. Originally shirts and coats for both men and women
were buttoned the way women's shirts and coats are today. Napolean changed
that since it was difficult to quickly unbutton a coat and draw a sword. By
changing the way the coat was buttoned Napolean's men would be more quickly
able to fight.

Remember that most people are right handed (cultural bias).
--
----------------
  Marty Sasaki				net:   sasaki@harvard.{arpa,uucp}

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) (04/17/85)

> Therefore, most women are cleverer with their left hands than
> they are with their right hands, which makes it easier
> for them to button right-over-left buttons than the other way
> around. This is why male shirts are left over right buttoned,
> while female shirts are right over left buttoned.

I realise this is being proposed tentatively, but I rather suspect the
reason for the mirror-image buttoning has to do with making it easier
for people to undress each other.  (And I've seen that explanation in
books on historical clothing.)
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706

jhs@duke.UUCP (Joel Saltz) (04/18/85)

In article <h-sc1.273> thau@h-sc1.UUCP (robert thau) writes:
>> > Does anyone know why (historically and currently) women's shirts button
>> > right over left and men's button left over right (or is it vice versa)?
>> > Why make the thing differently depending on who is supposed to wear it?
>>
>> A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.
>>
>> The human brain is functionally divided into two lateral parts...
>>
>> Statistically, most WOMEN are RIGHT-BRAINED (ie. the right part of
>> their brain is more developed than the left part), while most
>> MEN are LEFT-BRAINED...
>
>Handedness seems to me to be a lot more relevant that 'brainedness'
>(whatever that means), and a majority of both sexes are right-handed.

The meaning of 'more developed' in the above quote is not clear.
In addition to the fact that most people are right handed,
most people are left brained with respect to language
in the sense that if
the language areas in the left hemisphere are injured, recovery is slow and
incomplete. If the analogous areas
in the right hemisphere are injured, recovery is much faster and more complete.
The sex difference in language dominance, if it exists, is small.
The neurological differences between males and females is much more
subtle (and less well understood, certainly by me and Im pretty sure
by people who study these things).

						 Joel Saltz
						 Duke School of Medicine &
						 Comp Sci

mupmalis@watarts.UUCP (mike upmalis) (04/18/85)

In article <1649@ittvax.UUCP> aouriri@ittvax.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) writes:
>A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.
>
>The human brain is functionally divided into two lateral parts: The
>left part handles mainly the sequential, rational and "scientific"
>thoughts, while the right part handles the artistic, emotional
>and philosophical thoughts. Schematically speaking, the left
>part is the scientific/computer part, while the right part is the
>artistic/philosophical part.

	This is one of the pop psych definitions of the brain, and far from
the truth, the labels of verbal/non verbal analytic/wholistic etc are far two
simplistic.
	One example the execution of tasks like brushing one's teeth,
may be executed by either hemisphere, but is planned by the left.
	As far as the artistic/philosophical distinction, some artists
after right hemisphere CVAs (cardio Vascular Accidents) show a definite
change but retention and even improvement in artistics and esthethics...
(Reference Shattered Mind by Howard Gardner  a wonderful non technical book
that explains much about brain function..)
	Work done with split brain patients by Gazzinga, Wilson and Sperry
saw no loss of purported right hemisphere skills after there inter hemipsheric
communication system (corpus callosum) was severed...

>Statistically, most WOMEN are RIGHT-BRAINED (ie. the right part of
>their brain is more developed than the left part), while most
>MEN are LEFT-BRAINED. Whether this is the result of historical and
>socio-cultural conditions of the female gender is a different
>subject/topic.

About 90-95% of the population is right brain dominant for speech.
More men than women are right brain dominant but this stills
leaves about 90 percent of women right brain dominant.  Preferred
cognitive style  may not necessarily reflect on hemispheric dominnace,
there is a great deal of difficulty using hand preference to 'flag'
which hemipshere is the boss.

Actually males brains are larger on average than females, that is a
stronger difference than and cross hemisphere comparison.

>Because the SYMMETRY of the human nervous system, the left part
>of the brain controls the right parts of the human body (arms,
>hands, legs..) while the right part of the brain controls the
>left body parts.
>
>Therefore, most women are cleverer with their left hands than
>they are with their right hands, which makes it easier
>for them to button right-over-left buttons than the other way
>around. This is why male shirts are left over right buttoned,
>while female shirts are right over left buttoned.

Ths is an overly simplistic way of looking at muscular control, issues like
feedback (visual distnct from tactile), proximal vs distal musculature...)
>Also, statistically, more women are left-handed than men.

See previous stats .....

Strong but technical reference.. Laterality: Functional Assymetry in the Intact
brain...Dr Phil Bryden (1982)

--
~~
Mike Upmalis	(mupmalis@watarts)<University of Waterloo>

rst@tardis.UUCP (Robert Thau) (04/19/85)

> >> A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain...
> >> [some stuff unlikely to explain the differences between mens' and
> >>  womens' shirt buttons]
> >>
> >Handedness seems to me to be a lot more relevant that 'brainedness'
> >(whatever that means), and a majority of both sexes are right-handed.
> >
> The meaning of 'more developed' in the above quote is not clear.

I wrote "more relevant," not "more developed."  I still think that
handedness is a lot more relevant than brainedness to shirt buttons.
The hands are closer to the buttons.  However ...

> In addition to the fact that most people are right handed,
> most people are left brained with respect to language
> in the sense that if the language areas in the left hemisphere
> are injured, recovery is slow and incomplete. If the analogous areas
> in the right hemisphere are injured, recovery is much faster and more
> complete.  The sex difference in language dominance, if it exists, is small.
> The neurological differences between males and females is much more
> subtle (and less well understood, certainly by me and Im pretty sure
> by people who study these things).

True as far as it goes; in fact there is even a correlation with handedness
(lefties are about 50-50 for language dominance, righties are almost all
left-brained for language).  However, I don't think it's at all proper to
equate "left-hemisphere language dominant" with simply "left-brained."

What I really meant by the "whatever that means" is that the original posting
(long ago, far away) seemed to smack of some trendy pop-psych hype based
on the fact that (gasp!) the brain has two hemispheres.  The idea is that
there are people who have "right-brain" or "left-brain" modes of thought,
with "right-brain" (visual, intuitive) generally considered somehow better.
I once took one of these quizzes which is supposed to tell you whethe
you are right- or left- brained.  I came out in the middle.  With that
background ...

It is known that there are differences between brain hemispheres,
like language dominance, but the extent and meaning of the differences
is just not understood.  For example, the areas corresponding to the
left-hemisphere speech centers in the right brain are active when a
person is talking, despite the evidence from stroke recovery which seems
say that they aren't used.

The language areas have been known since the 1800's, but the laterality
stuff hit high gear with some experiments in the 1950s by Roger Sperry.
His subjects were epileptics who were treated by separation of the two
cerebral hemispheres.  Subsequently, the two hemispheres could be coaxed
to act like two very different "people" stuck in one skull.  By and large,
the left brain had trouble with visual tasks but could do language well,
while the right brain was the other way 'round.  (Sound familiar?)

However, to this day the extent to which these differences reflect
differences in what the hemispheres can do (as opposed to ingrained habits)
is simply unknown.  For that matter, the operation's effects on the brain
itself aren't entirely well characterized.  For all anyone knows, the
division of tasks is imposed after the operation, so that the two brains
stay out of each others' way, based perhaps on a much less rigid division
of labor in the normal brain.

There's also a semantic problem --- as Joel pointed out, most people are
left-brain dominant for language.  However, the right hemisphere is
almost certainly dominant for other tasks.  To use an inappropriate example,
most people are right-handed for most tasks, but prefer the left hand for
some.  Now, where this leaves the article in Discover magazine which claimed
to describe right- and left-brain personality types I don't know.  I
certainly hope that the personnel departments which were alleged to be
trying brainedness as a job qualification have as shaky a basis in known
fact as their theories do.

Contrary opinions welcomed.

Robert Thau [bio major]
rst@tardis.ARPA
h-sc1%thau@harvard.ARPA

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (04/19/85)

> > Does anyone know why (historically and currently) women's shirts button
> > right over left and men's button left over right (or is it vice versa)?
> > Why make the thing differently depending on who is supposed to wear it?
>
> A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.
>
> The human brain is functionally divided into two lateral parts...
>
> Statistically, most WOMEN are RIGHT-BRAINED (ie. the right part of
> their brain is more developed than the left part), while most
> MEN are LEFT-BRAINED...

Another explanation for the difference in shirts is that it is easier
for a woman holding a child to button her blouse with the present
arrangement of buttons.  Also, many historical traditions have biblical
roots.  Under the law of the Lord, it is forbidden for a man to wear
a woman's clothes or a woman to wear a man's clothes.  Clothing makers
were no doubt aware that the sexes WANTED different looking clothing,
and so made shirts significantly different for each sex.

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (04/19/85)

> > Subject: Re: Shirt buttons
> >
> > A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.

Wrong.
Most women, like most men are left-brained. This includes almost all right
handers and about half of left-handers (I just got back from a Neuro exam -
I was perusing Readnews to forget about Neuroscience up until this moment.)

	Maybe more women than men (percentage-wise) are right-brained, but the
difference is not enough to build an industry over.

--
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner

urol@ecsvax.UUCP (Floyd A. Fried) (04/20/85)

Thought provoking notions concerning the way men and women's
shirts button.  I strongly suspect it is a convention that began
with tailors and has been perpetuated by clothing manufacturers
to assure that there will be no sharing of garments and hence
fewer garments needed and sold.

chu@lasspvax.UUCP (Clare Chu) (04/20/85)

In article <> aouriri@ittvax.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) writes:
>Subject: Re: Shirt buttons
>Newsgroups: net.women
>
>> This has been bugging me lately...
>>
>> Does anyone know why (historically and currently) women's shirts button
>> right over left and men's button left over right (or is it vice versa)?
>> Why make the thing differently depending on who is supposed to wear it?
>>
>> Elizabeth Clayton
>> ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-satan!clayton
>
>A possible explanation comes from the biology of the brain.

 I know this has nothing to do with biology, but the reason women's shirts
 are buttoned right over left is that in the old days a woman was dressed
 by her maid and a man dresses himself.

  Clare