[net.women] conditioning and liz

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (04/16/85)

>> It amazes me that people equate exercise with weight loss, and not with
>> health.
>> When I do my own gawking, I look for . . .
>> Adrienne Regard
>Oh come on now!  I am beginning to think that people are also taking
>conditioning too far.
>I don't want to be made to feel guilty that I dont.
>liz sommers

Hey, liz, don't then.  No big deal.  Opinion, ya know?  I don't want to
_force_ you to feel guilty.  I don't work for Madison Ave.

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (04/17/85)

> >> It amazes me that people equate exercise with weight loss, and not with
> >> health.
> >> When I do my own gawking, I look for . . .
> >> Adrienne Regard
> >Oh come on now!  I am beginning to think that people are also taking
> >conditioning too far.
> >I don't want to be made to feel guilty that I dont.
> >liz sommers
>
> Hey, liz, don't then.  No big deal.  Opinion, ya know?  I don't want to
> _force_ you to feel guilty.  I don't work for Madison Ave.

Adrienne -- I can't find the references line for this article, but in
your original article you said something like "Let's all start thinking
about our health!"  I felt guilty at that point too.
--

	marie desjardins
	...!harvard!h-sc4!h-sc1!desjardins

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (04/22/85)

In article <351@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:

>>> It amazes me that people equate exercise with weight loss, and not with
>>> health.
>>> When I do my own gawking, I look for . . .
>>> Adrienne Regard
>>Oh come on now!  I am beginning to think that people are also taking
>>conditioning too far.
>>I don't want to be made to feel guilty that I dont.
>>liz sommers
>
>Hey, liz, don't then.  No big deal.  Opinion, ya know?  I don't want to
>_force_ you to feel guilty.  I don't work for Madison Ave.

Hmm.  Do people actually feel *guilty* for not exercising?  I know that I
do not get nearly enough exercise (i.e. practically none, except for my
fingers...*smile*), but it's not guilt I feel.  More like, I really wish
I didn't get out-of-breath for running a block or two, but I realize that
it's all really up to me, and whether I want to take the time to get into
better shape or not.  I see no reason to feel guilty for making a decision
one way or the other.  Why would someone feel guilty for this?

                        Muffy

jdh@hou5g.UUCP (Julia Harper) (04/22/85)

re:  "Let's all start thinking about our health!" and
thinness and guilt.

Being fat and healthy is better than being svelt and
out of shape.

Feeling guilty does nothing but drain your energy
without you getting much for it.  (Ohoh, time to start
feeling guilty about feeling guilty!) But!  If you're
going to nag yourself, I still think concentrating
on health is better than concentrating on thinness.

Thinness isn't really a great measure of healthiness.
Also, some forms of exercize offer more than healthiness.
Springtime is a good time to go walk in the woods or a
park.  I try to concentrate on how good exercize will make
me feel, (relaxed, calm, invigorated) rather than on how
long it's been since the last time I did any.

--
Julia Harper
[ihnp4,ariel]!hou5g!jdh