[net.women] Female Attractiveness

sommers@topaz.ARPA (Liz Sommers) (04/03/85)

(This line wants to be a model for Playboy.)

While reading the recent discussion in net.singles on why women feel they
are ugly and fat (mostly written by men) I got caught up in one of my own
pet peeves.

Ok, they now have Black models and chinese models in the fashion magazines
and the soft porn magazines.  They even had a FEW while I was growing up
and going through the adolescent uglies.

How come there are never models around who look Eastern European or
jewish.  I spent a whole lot of time while I was growing up (and
occasionally still) thinking that I was terribly ugly and unattractive
because I had sallow skin, curly hair and a rather unique nose.  I still
remember people complimenting my sister because "you look like a goy".

We need some big breasted, fine-assed, dark beautiful women in those
fashion pages!  I am getting real tired of thinking the only way to look
is like some waspy model.

flamingly
liz
--
liz sommers
uucp:   ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!sommers

cher@ihlpm.UUCP (Mike Cherepov) (04/03/85)

> How come there are never models around who look Eastern European or
> jewish.  I spent a whole lot of time while I was growing up (and
> occasionally still) thinking that I was terribly ugly and unattractive
> because I had sallow skin, curly hair and a rather unique nose.  I still
> remember people complimenting my sister because "you look like a goy".

Hmm, sounds like my ty... Never mind.
There are loads of models who look "Eastern European". Latest
popular example is on cover of Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.
The lady comes from Czechoslovakia, she MUST took Eastern European.
Nothing different - same Navratilova/Brinkley kind. Kidding, of course.
As for Jewish - probably lack of candidates.
Due to oversupply of hi-tech types who prefer to post on UUCP net.
Kidding again, to be sure

> We need some big breasted, fine-assed, dark beautiful women in those
> fashion pages!  I am getting real tired of thinking the only way to look
> is like some waspy model.

Yes-yes-yes. Or else Brasil will corner the (in a matter of speaking) market.

I feel that lack.
		Cerebrally.
				Mike Cherepov

mat@hou4b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (04/04/85)

>	We need some big breasted, fine-assed, dark beautiful women in those
>	fashion pages!  I am getting real tired of thinking the only way to
>	look is like some waspy model.
>
>flamingly
>liz

	Here! Here!  But most important is that SMILE!
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	hou4b!mat

jla@usl.UUCP (Raoul Duke) (04/05/85)

Liz writes:

>     We need some big breasted, fine-assed, dark beautiful women in those
>     fashion pages!  I am getting real tired of thinking the only way to look
>     is like some waspy model.

I would just like to add my vote to this suggestion.  I cannot hold with
the penchant of society to conform to  whatever  the  current  aesthetic
views  of  Madison  Ave. (or Paris or whatever) are.  Especially when it
means trying to warp one's body into something it's not.

Personally, it also seems to me that the "big breasted, fine-assed, dark
beautiful  women"  are  more  healthy  looking  than  the models who are
currently in vogue.  I confess I may be biased however, having  known  a
couple of women who were anorexic (sp?).

-------

				    Joseph Arceneaux

                                    USL Computer Science Department
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

prager@cholula.UUCP (04/08/85)

> How come there are never models around who look Eastern European or
> jewish.  I spent a whole lot of time while I was growing up (and
> occasionally still) thinking that I was terribly ugly and unattractive
> because I had sallow skin, curly hair and a rather unique nose.  I still
> remember people complimenting my sister because "you look like a goy".
>
> We need some big breasted, fine-assed, dark beautiful women in those
> fashion pages!  I am getting real tired of thinking the only way to look
> is like some waspy model.

Your're right. I for one am tired of all women trying to look like the
perfect 'shiksa'. The women want to see in the fashion pages are the
stuff dreams are made of!

David Prager@teltone
!uw-beaver!tikal!prager

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (04/08/85)

[Wife!  My supper is cold.]

> >	We need some big breasted, fine-assed, dark beautiful women in those
> >	fashion pages!  I am getting real tired of thinking the only way to
> >	look is like some waspy model.
>
> 	Here! Here!  But most important is that SMILE!

Fashion pages?

Does nobody care about what kind of women one sees on the sidewalks?
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

seb@ahutb.UUCP (04/08/85)

	Being attractive to men takes up a lot of a woman's time
and energy. Most women spend a lot more time working on being
attractive than men spend working on being attractive to women.
With makeup, clothes, hairstyles, and a woman's metabolism, it
takes a lot of work to stay attractive.
	I used to wear makeup. I've stopped. I just don't have
the time anymore. I like to sleep in the morning and don't like
taking 10 minutes to clean off my face.
	I used to buy lots of new funky clothes. I still like
the clothes, but I don't buy much because the money is better spent
elsewhere.  I only buy what I need, not what strikes my fancy.
	I don't diet the way I used to. I like food A LOT, so I
can't bear to give up all the goodies I love. But I abhor being
out of shape. I don't mean fat, overweight, pleasantly plump. I
mean physically in top form. I'm not in that form right now, but
I'm striving towards it. I don't do it just so I'll look good.
That's part of it. But more of my motivation comes from the fact
that I like having a healthy, well-tuned body that responds well
to the demands of my life, like stress and skiing and hiking and
softball. I don't like huffing and puffing after running up 4
flights of stairs in Holmdel. I don't like feeling like an old rag
after skiing all day. Or not being able to ski as well as I want
to just because my body is not in good condition. This became
brutally apparent to me between my first and second season of
skiing. I was a total wash-out the second season because I no
longer got the exercise I needed to stay in shape. Suddenly you
realize you're getting old, and it's all your fault.
	I think society should emphasize good locks in the framework
of what's really good for you. We all can't have model-thin bodies,
and for most of us, it would be very unhealthy. We should strive
for bodies that respond well to today's world, will remain healthy
and strong for a long time to come. In the process we will get
good-looking bodies. I'm not saying we should all run out and lift
weights. But a little more exercise could do almost all of us a
lot of good. Personally, it makes me feel a lot healthier.
	I am amazed with the ways we find to torture our bodies
to conform to some ideal. No torture is needed. If we treat them
well, they will last us a long time without needing major repairs.
(Consumers gives the human body a better rating than Toyota, but
only when you do the correct maintenance. :-)) The fad that disgusts
me right now is tanning salons. Society says a nice, dark tan looks
good. So what if you might get skin cancer in 10 years and you're
sure to have more wrinkled skin? How many people out there understand
the risks, physical and emotional, to conforming to society's standards?

Sharon Badian  ihnp4!hocsp!ahutb!seb

jla@usl.UUCP (Raoul Duke) (04/09/85)

Your attitude is, in my humble opinion, first rate.

-----

				    Joseph Arceneaux

                                    USL Computer Science Department
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

     "I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine."

jla@usl.UUCP (Raoul Duke) (04/09/85)

Sharon Badian,

Your attitude is, in my humble opinion, first rate.

----

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (04/09/85)

> How come there are never models around who look Eastern European or
> jewish.  I spent a whole lot of time while I was growing up (and
> occasionally still) thinking that I was terribly ugly and unattractive
> because I had sallow skin, curly hair and a rather unique nose.  I still
> remember people complimenting my sister because "you look like a goy".
>
> We need some big breasted, fine-assed, dark beautiful women in those
> fashion pages!  I am getting real tired of thinking the only way to look
> is like some waspy model.
>
> flamingly
> liz

Having served some time in retailing before entering the computer biz, I can
tell you the reason you don't see these adds is because the retailers and
manufacturers think nobody wants to look this way.  They are selling you the
dream of a WASP appearence.  And considering the extremes that many women
(and men) go to in trying to cover-up their heritage, they seem to be right.

BTW, would you want to buy an article of clothing that detracted from your
physical appearence?  If you saw someone in an ad that was "big breasted,
fine-assed, dark" you might not also see the "beautiful".  And worse yet,
from the sellers point of view, you might think she looks that way because
of what she's wearing.

Now, as for MY personal tastes..........[Interrupt: Carrier Lost]

clayton@satan.DEC (04/11/85)

>Sharon Badian  ihnp4!hocsp!ahutb!seb
>
>	Being attractive to men takes up a lot of a woman's time
>and energy...
>	I used to wear makeup...
>	I used to buy lots of new funky clothes...
>	I don't diet the way I used to...

Hear, Hear.  I, too, do not have the time, nor the desire, to
to even attempt to look like America's ideal woman.

I have never worn makeup.

I haven't shaved my legs in over 10 years.  (Although I do shave
my pits, for MY own comfort).

I can't (women's fashions are not made or designed for women over
6 feet tall) and don't want to buy funky new clothes.  I satisfy
myself with functional, COMFORTABLE (often "mens") clothing.

I have only been on a 'diet' once.  At 6'1/2", 150 pounds sits
pretty well, a little plump round the middle but that's just me.

And, I will add, mousey brown hair that has yet to meet a curling
iron and only has a very rare meeting with a hair drier.

Occassionally I get these little voices in the back of my head saying
things like: "don't you wish you had more fashionalbe clothes" and
"you'd look a lot better with a little makeup around those eyes"...
So far I have resisted these voices, planted there by advertisers,
recognizing them for what they are: the media's (tv esp.) continual
barage of hype working its way up from the unconscience to the
conscience.  And I root it out.  Reassure myself that I am perfectly
happy and much more comfortable the way I am, and would not be so if
I got caught up in this striving to be some marketing agents ideal
consumer.  Which is what it is.  It is EXPENSIVE to be 'beautiful'.

>...We should strive
>for bodies that respond well to today's world, will remain healthy

And there's the problem.  In today's world most of us don't need to be
in all that great a shape to walk out to the car to drive to work, to
take the elevator up to our office, where we sit at a desk all day.
So many of us let ourselves get slack (I definately include myself here)
and don't take the time to get the exercise we need to stay in shape.
Particularly in the winter (at least, New England winters).  In the
summer it's not much of a problem, the hiking, biking, swimming etc.
keep me in shape.  If only I had an indoor pool in my basement for
those long winter months...

Elizabeth Clayton
...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-satan!clayton

jamcmullan@wateng.UUCP (Judy McMullan) (04/12/85)

---
	>BTW, would you want to buy an article of clothing that detracted
	>from your physical appearence? If you saw someone in an ad that
	>was "big breasted, fine-assed, dark" you might not also see the
	>"beautiful". And worse yet, from the sellers point of view, you
	>might think she looks that way because of what she's wearing.

I think you have missed the whole point of the original article.
You are simply reiterating the idea that only the skinny WASP is beautiful.
The big-breasted fine-assed women ARE beautiful. So, if we saw such models
we would not think their clothes were making them less than beautiful -- we
would think they were beautiful and, further, we would be able to see what
their clothes would look like on US.
You seem to be trying to tell us that we wouldn't want to wear what the
womanly model is wearing lest it make us look womanly as well. Except some
of us already look womanly and we like it that way!!

	>... the retailers and manufacturers think nobody wants to look this
	>way. They are selling you the dream of a WASP appearence. And
	>considering the extremes that many women (and men) go to in trying to
	>cover-up their heritage, they seem to be right.

Perhaps a few non-WASP models showing up in magazines could break this vicious
circle -- the ad people selling undernourished because "the masses want it" and
"the masses want it" because they are bombarded with the image, unremittingly.

Anyway, folks, there is hope. Twenty years ago one would never have seen an
Oriental or black model. Now they're seen in the Sears catalogue. (Someone
finally figured out that non-WASPs wear clothes, too). Also, the
advent of fashionable clothes for fat women has resulted in some fat (still
WASPy) models being seen in various magazines. Who knows what could come
next??

   --from the sssstickkky keyboard of JAM
   ...!{ihnp4|clyde|decvax}!watmath!wateng!jamcmullan

wong@rtech.ARPA (J. Wong) (04/12/85)

The reason most models are thin is that clothes hang well on them.  Designers donot like to show their clothes on "bodies" ('cause that's all they really want)
that get in the way of the clothes (ie, breasts and ass) and detract attention
from them.

To think that models represent a `physical' standard of beauty that is absolute
in this culture is wrong.  One need only look at a magazine like Playboy that
has models who represent a quite different `physical' standard.  (Playboy modelsdo not look like fashion models, and visa-versa.)  Both types of models do tend
to represent a `racial/cultural' standard of beauty (WASP), which makes sense
because the WASP culture is the dominant culture in this country for good or
bad.

--
				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it.
You're talking alot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again.		- David Byrne

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (04/15/85)

>Sharon Badian  ihnp4!hocsp!ahutb!seb
>
>	Being attractive to men takes up a lot of a woman's time
>and energy...
>	I used to wear makeup...
>	I used to buy lots of new funky clothes...
>	I don't diet the way I used to...

	Now, who was it that said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."?

	I for one, have gone out of my way to be myself for the last 7
	years or so. I find that how 'I' feel about how I look makes a lot
	of difference. I have met a few people, who have expressed that
	they find me attractive. And who can handle more than a few? I mean
	REALISTICALLY.
	I stopped wearing eye makeup (the only thing that I HAD used) when
	I started wearing contacts. My eyes FEEL better with not having all
	that stuff get into them. Getting a little more sun makes one's skin
	look nicer than caking on chemicals.
	As for DIETING, (i hate the term) if people would only eat propperly,
	they wouldn't have to go onto these FAD DIETS you see and hear so
	much about. I have heard a lot of excuses from people I have known,
	as to their motives for over-eating. What it really comes down to,
	though, is education. So few people are propperly educated about
	nutrition. For example, my mother uses, 'having had a hysterectomy'
	as the reason she is now about 40 lbs over-weight. 'I' had the same
	surgery 2 years ago, but I was taking enzymes to help with digestion
	as well as a good balance of supplements and LOTS of C. I eat what I
	want, when I want and I will never have a weight problem.
	Now, if the fact that I don't shave my legs and still wear skirts is
	not the ACCEPTED thing to do...		Who gives a *&%$#.

                                                   ~l
                                                   /l
                                                  /5l\
                                                 / 0l \
          Annadiana Beaver                      / 5 l  \
         A Beaver@Tektronix                    /____l___\
                                            ,,,,\__,,,_/,,,,
       "I'd rather be sailing"             wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (04/18/85)

> 	I for one, have gone out of my way to be myself for the last 7
> 	years or so. I find that how 'I' feel about how I look makes a lot
> 	of difference. I have met a few people, who have expressed that
> 	they find me attractive. And who can handle more than a few? I mean
> 	REALISTICALLY.
Bravo!  This was *my* biggest step toward a reasonable self-image.  When I
stopped trying to be everything I *thought* everyone else wanted me to be, I
realized that there was someone rather special inside of me that I had been
hiding from myself and the rest of the world!  Thank GOD I finally let her
out!
> 	I stopped wearing eye makeup (the only thing that I HAD used) when
> 	I started wearing contacts. My eyes FEEL better with not having all
> 	that stuff get into them. Getting a little more sun makes one's skin
> 	look nicer than caking on chemicals.
Right on!!
> 	As for DIETING, (i hate the term) if people would only eat propperly,
> 	they wouldn't have to go onto these FAD DIETS you see and hear so
> 	much about. I have heard a lot of excuses from people I have known,
> 	as to their motives for over-eating. What it really comes down to,
> 	though, is education. So few people are propperly educated about
> 	nutrition.
Here's my one big problem.  For many years (about 2/3 of my life) I have
abused food the way some people abuse drugs and alcohol.  I won't go into all
the psychology of overeating, but suffice it to say that I really needed to
adjust my habits where food was conserned.  It really helped to get educated
about proper nutrition.  My dietition (I'm hypoglycemic (*low* blood sugar, not
high blood sugar) on top of it all) put me on a high fiber, low-fat, low-sugar
diet which has helped a lot.
>	For example, my mother uses, 'having had a hysterectomy'
> 	as the reason she is now about 40 lbs over-weight. 'I' had the same
> 	surgery 2 years ago, but I was taking enzymes to help with digestion
> 	as well as a good balance of supplements and LOTS of C. I eat what I
> 	want, when I want and I will never have a weight problem.
> 	Now, if the fact that I don't shave my legs and still wear skirts is
> 	not the ACCEPTED thing to do...		Who gives a *&%$#.
THREE CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!
This has got to be one of my biggest gripes about "conforming to a norm".  I
*hate* shaving my legs.  I almost always end up cutting myself.  I ask you men
out there..... Would you really rather see a lady with hairless, bloody,
scabby legs than a lady who has hair but no cuts?  I really don't have much
leg hair and what little I have is rather fine and not dark at all.  My
"significant other" doesn't care in the least about leg hair or armpit hair
for that matter.  I'd probably tell him "where to go" if he made any beef
about it.  You see, he doesn't shave his face for the same reason I don't
shave my legs.  Now, I happen to like beards, but I still think he has the
right to do with his face as he sees fit.  How about you men giving us ladies
that same right?

Anyway, hang in there Annadiana Beaver!  I hope you get to go sailing soon!

					Sarah E. Dugan

					(No catchy line)

chris@pyuxc.UUCP (R. Hollenbeck) (04/19/85)

I heard somewhere that models are usually thin because
cameras add 10 pounds to everyone in pictures.

holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) (04/21/85)

I have always disliked the idea of self mutilation, as practiced by man or
women. The shaving of leg hair is just as barbaric as the shaving of facial
hair.  It is in the same class as wearing lip discs.

					Ray

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (04/23/85)

In article <1488@dalcs.UUCP> holmes@dalcs.UUCP (Ray Holmes) writes:
>I have always disliked the idea of self mutilation, as practiced by man or
>women. The shaving of leg hair is just as barbaric as the shaving of facial
>hair.  It is in the same class as wearing lip discs.

Mutilation implies a permanent disfiguring effect.  Hair removal is neither
disfiguring  (by  most  cultural standards) nor permanent. (A case might be
made against electrolysis if hair removal is defined to be  disfiguring).
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (04/24/85)

> I have always disliked the idea of self mutilation, as practiced by man or
> women. The shaving of leg hair is just as barbaric as the shaving of facial
> hair.  It is in the same class as wearing lip discs.
>
> 					Ray

Lighten up, willya?!?  One of the main reasons I shave my beard is that my face
itches if I let it grow.  I don't consider it to be "self-mutilation".  As for
you, Ray, do you ever get your hair cut or clip your toenails?

I have felt for a long time that people put too much emphasis on looks.  I wish
that people could simply accept others as they are.  This goes for everyone:
it annoys me when people are criticized for being conformist in their
personal appearance as well as when they are criticized for not conforming.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff