[net.women] dancing

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (04/23/85)

Re dancing, G Skinner's questions:

I like dancing mucho, but I don't like sitting around drinking too much
trying to make uninteresting conversation interesting at the top of my
lungs.  Consequently, I dance with friends, at places where we go in a
group.  When I've gone to bars ostensibly to "meet new people" it's
invariably been disappointing.  Most of the men I danced with danced once
(as in, it's obligatory) then wanted to sit around at my table talking (as
in, what's your number).  I finally got up the guts (or hardshell) enough
to tell one of them that "It's been nice talking, but I came here to dance"
his face fell so ludicrously that I felt bad for a week.

The most wonderful thing is to have a dancing partner (or a number of 'em)
who simply enjoys that form of exercise, and you go have fun.  I don't go
dancing anymore as a single, and I meet new people other places.  Dancing
is reserved for doing with my buddies and my live-in, who is a poor dancer
but enthusiastic.  And if we went out dancing together, and he DIDN'T
dance with me (your last question, Greg) he'd be dead meat by the time we
got home (as in, you don't go to a basketball game to discuss politics).

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (04/25/85)

I too have found that in the "usual" places it is very hard to get women
to dance.  I am a very energetic dancer and find that even when  I  *do*
succeed,  my  partners  are  only  interested in one dance.  Fortunately
where I live, there is a solution to this problem.

Here there is a fairly strong tradition of dancing in the local culture,
so  there  are  a couple of places (one a restaurant, the other a "dance
hall"--used to be a fruit warehouse and still looks it, but  hey!   it's
for  dancing!)  where people go with the *express* intention of dancing,
and it is no problem to get dances.  In fact, often it has  seemed  that
there  were  many  more single people there (of both sexes) than groups,
and I have even seen women asking men to dance!

My only problem is I no longer have time to go.
--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

nancyp@tektools.UUCP (Nancy Peate) (04/27/85)

From Greg Skinner's posting:

    >  One thing that irritates me is when a good-looking women's
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >  boyfriend will be drinking all night, and she's just sort
    >  of hanging around him.  If I was going out with someone,
    >  I'd try to be sensitive to what they wanted to do, so I'd
    >  do some dancing.

Gosh, that does sound irritating.  'Course, if the woman's kinda
homely, it doesn't matter; she's just lucky to have a man that she
can hang around.  :-)

Nancy Peate
{allegra, ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax...} tektronix!tektools!nancyp

gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (05/04/85)

> From: regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard)

> I like dancing mucho, but I don't like sitting around drinking too much
> trying to make uninteresting conversation interesting at the top of my
> lungs.

I feel the same way sometimes.  When I am out dancing, sometimes the music
is just too loud for me and I can't hear what people are saying to me.  It
also makes it hard to start conversations with the people you dance with,
if you have to shout so they can hear you, and vice versa.  Also, when the
place is too crowded and hot, I lose interest.

> I finally got up the guts (or hardshell) enough
> to tell one of them that "It's been nice talking, but I came here to dance"
> his face fell so ludicrously that I felt bad for a week.

That's too bad.  I can imagine myself doing the same.  Naturally, when you go
out (anywhere), if you meet someone you want them to get to know you, and you
to know them, etc.  It's only natural that they would want to talk to you some
more, and perhaps ask you out on a date.

When I was in college, I met a lot of women at dances/parties.  Many of them
became good friends.  I sort of took these steps to meet somebody.
If they smiled at me while we were dancing, I would say hi, introduce myself,
ask them their name, what school they went to, etc.  The more dances they
danced with me, the more we would talk.  If they never looked at me, I would
try to start conversation, but if nothing really started I'd just stop dan-
cing after the song was over.  If a woman danced with me for a few dances, and
a slow song came on, I would ask them if they wanted to take a walk and get
something to drink, and we would talk some more while the slow song played.
Occasionally, I would ask someone I didn't know to slow dance with me if I had
been dancing with them most of the night, and we had become pretty friendly.
I suppose somewhere in all this, I would have asked their number, gave them
mine, etc.  Such were the joys of college.

> The most wonderful thing is to have a dancing partner (or a number of 'em)
> who simply enjoys that form of exercise, and you go have fun.

I agree, in fact I preferred going to parties where I was friends with a lot
of the women.  I had a good time dancing with them.  Women have told me that
a lot of times they say no to guys who ask them to dance when they don't know
them.  I guess men have an edge here, I didn't feel odd asking someone to
dance who I didn't know (but now I'm starting to).

Well, it's getting late.  I'm not too thrilled with my dancing prospects as of
late, however, I'm still interested in where other people like to dance and
what they like to do (that includes Canadians, Mexicans, Europeans, Martians,
Ewoks, Plaid Warlocks (chuq, are you still out there?) and what ever other
folks like to dance).  Keep those messages coming in!
--
She's on fire, 'cause dancin' takes her higher than anything else she knows!

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!houxm!gregbo
gregbo%houxm.uucp@harvard.arpa

rick@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/08/85)

In article <1227@houxm.UUCP> gregbo@houxm.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>                             If a woman danced with me for a few dances, and
>a slow song came on, I would ask them if they wanted to take a walk and get
>something to drink, and we would talk some more while the slow song played.
>Occasionally, I would ask someone I didn't know to slow dance with me if I had
>been dancing with them most of the night, and we had become pretty friendly.

If I have been dancing with someone for a few songs and they have been in
any way friendly (smiling, or even looking at me) then I will try to get
them to stay for a slow dance too. I find you can talk just as well out
on the dance floor to a ballad as anywhere else. If the woman is aware
that you mostly just like to dance (and that you aren't going to jump her
on the dance floor :-)) then most will agree to dance.

>Well, it's getting late.  I'm not too thrilled with my dancing prospects as of
>late, however, I'm still interested in where other people like to dance and
>what they like to do (that includes Canadians, Mexicans, Europeans, Martians,
>Ewoks, Plaid Warlocks (chuq, are you still out there?) and what ever other
>folks like to dance).  Keep those messages coming in!

Well, I'm Canadian but that isn't important right now :-). I've been taking
a swing class for several months and we have started going to a place
near by on other nights. The early disk jockey plays a wide variety of
music, including lots of old stuff (as opposed to the later dj's who like
to play top 10 stuff :-(). He has gotten to know us by now and plays stuff
just for us, since we are about the only ones dancing that early in the
night. It is funny that once a woman has seen you out dancing a lot already
that night she is far more willing to dance. Maybe there is a lesson here?
--

			       Rick Gillespie
				  rick@ucla-cs

	"She turned me into a newt! . . . I got better."