[net.women] The Breakfast Club

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (04/24/85)

In article <417@nmtvax.UUCP> nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP writes:

>	And to Raoul Duke (jla@usl), who said:
>
>> I much preferred the recluse before her metamorphosis; not only did I
>> fine her more attractive but I thought it awful that she would give up
>> her individuality to someone else's idea of beauty.
>
>	Well, Raoul...souns to me like you are trying to tell us what her
>idea of beauty was. Did it ever cross your mind that Allison could have
>had the same idea of beauty as Claire? Hmm? Does a girl have to give
>up her individuality to wear makeup and change her hair-style?
>Because if that is true, then a man loses his individuality every time
>he puts on a new shirt of combs his hair differently. It's all surface
>stuff, Duke. What counts IS what's inside.

Certainly what counts is what's inside.  Possibly Allison always wanted to
to exemplify Claire's standards of beauty, but if her external presentation
had any relation to "what's inside," then Allison was more herself before her
makeover, as her insides were quite different from Claire's.

To me, Allison's 'makeover' was a rather negative message, as it seemed to
signify Allison capitulating to prevalent attitude of her society, and giving
up a bit of her freedom to be different.

--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

"The one who grabs the bull by the tail is getting 60 to 70 times as
 much as information as the fellow who just watches"  --Mark Twain

nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP (05/08/85)

In article <> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:
>In article <417@nmtvax.UUCP> nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP writes:
>
>>	And to Raoul Duke (jla@usl), who said:
>>
>>> I much preferred the recluse before her metamorphosis; not only did I
>>> fine her more attractive but I thought it awful that she would give up
>>> her individuality to someone else's idea of beauty.
>>
>>	Well, Raoul...souns to me like you are trying to tell us what her
>>idea of beauty was. Did it ever cross your mind that Allison could have
>>had the same idea of beauty as Claire? Hmm? Does a girl have to give
>>up her individuality to wear makeup and change her hair-style?
>>Because if that is true, then a man loses his individuality every time
>>he puts on a new shirt of combs his hair differently. It's all surface
>>stuff, Duke. What counts IS what's inside.
>
>Certainly what counts is what's inside.  Possibly Allison always wanted to
>to exemplify Claire's standards of beauty, but if her external presentation
>had any relation to "what's inside," then Allison was more herself before her
>makeover, as her insides were quite different from Claire's.
>
>To me, Allison's 'makeover' was a rather negative message, as it seemed to
>signify Allison capitulating to prevalent attitude of her society, and giving
>up a bit of her freedom to be different.

But what if Allison's external presentation was a result of parents who
didn't buy her the clothes she desired? Or maybe her parents were among
that mislead group who despise preppies?

Either way you look at it, an independent-minded person like Allison
(exmplified by her initial semi-attraction to the tough guy [his
name slips me mind] and her lie to Claire about sex) would not
give in to the desires/ideas of someone else. Not without a fight,
anyway.

--
Tracy A. McInvale
New Mexico Humanities Review

...!cmc12!lanl!unm-cvax!nmtvax!nmhr
...!ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!nmhr

allynh@ucbvax.ARPA (Allyn Hardyck) (05/08/85)

In an interview Ally Sheedy said that Allison was supposed to come off looking
better because she was wearing LESS makeup than before, thus getting closer to
her true appearance.

I too thought she looked better beforehand.