[net.women] Suffix to Replace \"-man\"

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) (05/10/85)

Suffix to Replace "-man"________________________________________________________

> What we need is a generally useful suffix to replace -man, not just for words
> that already exist, but also as a general replacement for an extremely prolif-
> ic formative element in our language.

	Years ago, around 1972 or so, when I was but a lad, I read an article in
a local newspaper (the _North_Hills_News_Record_, to be precise), that suggested
that we use "-one" in place of "-man".  I've not heard of this anywhere else.
Perhaps the idea got no further than the north hills of Pittsburgh.
	The idea was that "-one" is a monosyllable, sounds a bit like "-man",
and fits well in many places where "-person" does not.
		<_Jym_>
		Chairone of The Board,
		Committee to Abolish Linguistic Sexism

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (05/11/85)

In article <2113@decwrl.UUCP> daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) writes:

>	Years ago, around 1972 or so, when I was but a lad, I read an article in
>a local paper (the _North_Hills_News_Record_, to be precise), that suggested
>that we use "-one" in place of "-man".  I've not heard of this anywhere else.

I've heard the same thing.  Recently, I read a quote, in the context of
computer science, I think, to the effect that ideas, no matter how good,
don't succeed without champions.  People have to hear an idea over and over
again and have to have their objections addressed and resolved before they'll
adopt it.

So if you like -one, start pushing it.
--
Richard Mateosian