[net.women] Evils of society

mccolm@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/02/85)

Gee, let's see...If I read all this aright, immodestly dressed women are
responsible for rape, adultery, masturbation, broken homes, and no doubt
child abuse and sexual discrimination.  And working women are likewise
responsible for homosexuality, drug abuse, teenage crime, unwanted
pregnancies, satanism, theft, fraud, tax evasion, fire, flood, earth-
quake, drought, lingering bunions...but I digress.

I suppose that if hemlines dropped about a foot, the economy would improve?
Would a ban on tube-tops halt the arms race?  If the Bar Assn banned women
attorneys, we could end world hunger?

Yes, Myrtle Phillips, YOU can SAVE THE WORLD!  Just quit your job, go home
to your estranged husband, dress plain and modestly, say "A woman's
place is in the home" three times, and the world will suddenly be a better
place to live.

For men.

But not for women, or those who care about them.
-fini-
"Reason is Peace;                        -Eric
 Fanaticism is Slavery;                  ...!ucla-cs!mccolm
 Tolerance is Strength."

rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (05/10/85)

> I suppose that if hemlines dropped about a foot, the economy would improve?

Actually, there is a "school" of economic thought that does believe there is
a relationship between women's fashion and business cycles.  But I guess you
weren't really interested in that.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (05/10/85)

> Gee, let's see...If I read all this aright, immodestly dressed women are
> responsible for rape, adultery, masturbation, broken homes, and no doubt
> child abuse and sexual discrimination.  And working women are likewise
> responsible for homosexuality, drug abuse, teenage crime, unwanted
> pregnancies, satanism, theft, fraud, tax evasion, fire, flood, earth-
> quake, drought, lingering bunions...but I digress.
>
> I suppose that if hemlines dropped about a foot, the economy would improve?
> Would a ban on tube-tops halt the arms race?  If the Bar Assn banned women
> attorneys, we could end world hunger?
>
> Yes, Myrtle Phillips, YOU can SAVE THE WORLD!  Just quit your job, go home
> to your estranged husband, dress plain and modestly, say "A woman's
> place is in the home" three times, and the world will suddenly be a better
> place to live.
>
> For men.
>
> But not for women, or those who care about them. [ucla-cs!mccolm]

Yes, it's all a question of perspective.  It's like I said in a few articles
in another group:  those who want us to go back to the old ways, to the
old values, want that because it will make life better.  For them.  Taking
exclusively the example of women, the fact that women have more freedom and
choices today, the fact that a woman treated on an equal basis with a man
in a family (as both "breadwinner" and "family leader") changes the nature
of the family, the fact that the increased freedom of ANY group of individuals
may change the fabric of society is seen as a NEGATIVE by certain people
because it changes the status quo (as they see it).  And the status quo is
(or was) good to THEM.  Thus, they argue that the changes are "destroying
the family/the church/the fabric of society".  Going back to those old values
they want means nothing more than taking away the rights of people who've
worked hard to get rights that they (in actuality) deserve without question in
the first place.  Bring back "traditional church and family values" they say.
Meaning exactly what Eric is satirically asking Myrtle Phillips to do in the
above paragraph.
--
"Now, go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"
				Rich Rosen  ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (05/13/85)

In article <827@ccice5.UUCP> rdz@ccice5.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) writes:

>> I suppose that if hemlines dropped about a foot, the economy would improve?
>>

>Actually, there is a "school" of economic thought that does believe there is
>a relationship between women's fashion and business cycles.  But I guess you
>weren't really interested in that.

"Year of the Jackpot?"

chabot@miles.DEC (Bits is bits) (05/14/85)

The "nature of the family" is always changing.  It's not the same now as it
was in the 1950s (which were certainly different with than the first half of the
1940s) or the 1850s or ...

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa