[net.women] 'I want to be me'

miche@masscomp.UUCP (Harvey) (05/09/85)

In article <2355@wateng.UUCP> jamcmullan@wateng.UUCP (Judy McMullan) writes:

>Did you know that one of the questions on a popular personality test (the
>Minnesota Multi-Phasic Personality Inventory) was (it may still be for all
>I know) a question asking, for men, if you were glad to be a man and for
>women, if you were glad to be a woman? It was a sign of good mental health
>for a man to be glad to be a man and a sign of good mental health for a woman
>to want to be a man. This was serious. A mentally healthy woman
>is supposed to wish she was a man!!

An interesting fact which is related to this, I think, is that
most rapists test NORMAL on personality tests.  Aackk!!

>My point is, our society has come up with such a twisted set of expectations
>for women that a woman has been defined as well-adjusted despite the fact that
>she disklikes herself. Women are urged to adopt behaviours that are
>simultaneously scorned. I could go on and on. Read "Women and Madness", for a
>start.

I would also like to recommend Phylis Chessler's book 'About Men'.
That's not the title, but it's something like that. (She wrote Women and
Madness.)

>Some women HAVE managed to express disdain for men and made declarations that
>they are glad to be women. These "castrating bitches" are quickly condemned (and
>pointed to as "typical feminists").
>
>   --from the sssstickkky keyboard of JAM
>   ...!{ihnp4|clyde|decvax}!watmath!wateng!jamcmullan

Thanks for the posting, Judy.  I'm glad to be a woman.

Miche Baker-Harvey
	{decvax|ihnp4}!masscomp!galaxy!miche

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) (05/13/85)

Re: 'I want to be me'___________________________________________________________

>> Did you know that one of the questions on a popular personality test (the
>> Minnesota Multi-Phasic Personality Inventory) was (it may still be for all I
>> know) a question asking, for men, if you were glad to be a man and for women,
>> if you were glad to be a woman?  It was a sign of good mental health for a
>> man to be glad to be a man and a sign of good mental health for a woman to
>> want to be a man.  This was serious.  A mentally healthy woman is supposed to
>> wish she was a man!!
>>
>  An interesting fact which is related to this, I think, is that most rapists
>  test NORMAL on personality tests.  Aackk!!

	(*Sigh...*)  This kind of sexism is, unfortunately, rampant throughout
psychology.  For example, Erik Erikson's famous "life stages" model was built
from studies of men.  Lawrence Kohlberg's "stages of morality" were expressly
based on a male sample.  (In fact, he discarded results from the women who took
part in his study because their answers didn't fit into the model he was build-
ing!)  Both of these (which are addressed in Carol Gilligan's excellent book,
_In_A_Different_Voice_) have been applied to people of both sexes, as if men
were the representative sex for the species!
	These aren't the only examples.  Starting with Freud's theories (formu-
lated in the Victorian Era, when women were overtly regarded as lesser creatures
than men), psychology has been the study of males by males with the conclusions
extrapolated to the entire human race.
	Actually that isn't entirely true.  Since most psychiatric patients are
women (for whatever reasons - but that's a whole new can of worms), much of the
research in what is called "abnormal" psychology is based on the study of women.
For some strange reason, the results of such research hasn't been extrapolated
to the entire human species; they have instead been used to support the notion
that women are inferior to men!
	For more information on this, and since we're all recommending books
here, take a look at _Women_And_Sex_Roles_, by Irene Frieze _et._al._

>> Some women HAVE managed to express disdain for men and made declarations that
>> they are glad to be women.

	(*Ahem!*)  I hasten to add that one doesn't have to express disdain for
men to make a declaration that one is glad to be a woman.  My own opinion on the
matter is that one who likes being who they are should recognize another's right
to like being who they are.
	I realize that, demographically, it is women who are discouraged from
liking themselves.  But I don't think that reversing the situation is the ans-
wer; I'd say that the answer is for nobody to discourage anybody else from lik-
ing themselves.
	Two wrongs never make a right.
		<_Jym_>

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (05/15/85)

In article <2148@decwrl.UUCP> daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) writes:
>	These aren't the only examples.  Starting with Freud's theories (formu-
>lated in the Victorian Era, when women were overtly regarded as lesser creatures
>than men), psychology has been the study of males by males with the conclusions
>extrapolated to the entire human race.

Actually, most of Freud's work was based on his experiences  with  neurotic
(his  diagnosis),  Jewish,  Viennese women -- a rather narrow sample of the
human race at best.

About the MMPI:

A major criticism of it is that it was normed on  a  population  of  asylum
inmates  and  is  designed  to  detect  pathology  rather than health.  The
questions in it were chosen empirically by administering a much larger  set
of  questions  to the normative population and keeping only those questions
which distinguished on the desired psychological dimensions. (i.e.:  If 95%
of  depressed patients answered question X the same way then question X was
kept as a depression detector.  If the answers to question Y were mixed 50-
50  by  everyone then question Y was thrown out).  This is why some of them
appear to be irrelevant or make little sense.  Reading the graph of an MMPI
score remains an art and the scores should never be taken out of context as
the sole indicator of a person's mental condition.
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe