[net.women] High Heels

system@vaxuum.DEC (04/29/85)

High Heels______________________________________________________________________

> However, I have to admit that, for some unknown reason, I do find [high heels]
> attractive, if the woman who is wearing them is enough used to them that she
> *doesn't wobble*.  There is *nothing* attractive about wobbling around.

	Wobbles or not, it's my opinion that there is *nothing* attractive about
footwear that damages feet and legs.  Even before I was aware that high heels
were (for most women) uncomfortable and unhealthy, for some reason I never found
them attractive.  This might stem from my general dislike of fashionable cloth-
ing, but I can't really say.

> . . . high heels are sexy.  They bring out the muscles in a woman's calves and
> emphasize her rear end.

	You may call that sexy, but I don't.  Again, I don't find much sexiness
in body parts forced into uncomfortable and unhealthy positions.
	But even if it was sexy, why aren't men expected to wear them to?  Or
are calf muscles and emphasized rear ends not sexy on men?

	I guess what I'm trying to say is that what's being called "attractive"
and "sexy" are determined by the culture we live in, not by some inherent ar-
rangement.  We are *conditioned* to find high heels - or emphasized rear ends
- attractive and sexy.  It's not something we were born with.
	And since it's neither comfortable nor healthy for (most) women, I
would say that this conditioning is at odds with what we are born with!
		<_Jym_>

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

toml@oliveb.UUCP (Tom Long) (04/30/85)

	I believe that most women wear high heels in order to make their
legs look longer in relation to the rest of their body.  I don't think it
has anything to do with binding of feet, or making women look helpless,
or emphasizing calf muscles.
	If you look at fashion drawings, you will see that the artist draws
the legs much longer than than real legs.  Photographs are never quite as
glamorous, but fashion models are selected from among the women with the
longest legs.
	I would expect that women with relatively long legs don't see any
advantage to wearing heels, while those with short legs will feel much more
attractive in heels.
						    Tom Long

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (05/08/85)

In article <1888@decwrl.UUCP> system@vaxuum.DEC writes:
>	But even if it was sexy, why aren't men expected to wear them to?  Or
>are calf muscles and emphasized rear ends not sexy on men?

Men normally wear trousers which hides the calf muscles anyway.  However,
I find both calf muscles and emphasized rear ends to be sexy on men.

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) (05/19/85)

Re: High Heels__________________________________________________________________

> I believe that most women wear high heels in order to make their legs look
> longer in relation to the rest of their body.  I don't think it has anything
> to do with binding of feet, or making women look helpless, or emphasizing calf
> muscles.

	Calf muscles, longer legs, we're still talking about conforming to some
prevailing standard of "beauty."  Why don't men with short legs wear pumps?
	I \do/ think it has something to do with foot-binding and the helpless-
ness of women.  High heels mutilate the feet much as foot-binding does.  A woman
standing in high heels generally looks precarious, as if a sudden gust of wind
will knock her over.  To me at least, this looks "helpless."
	And it's already been noted in this newsgroup that high heels aren't the
greatest shoes for escaping in, much less walking in.

	The best way to make legs look good is to exercise them.  For this, a
good pair of Kangaroos works much better than a pair of high-heels.
		<_Jym_>

::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts