[net.women] sexist language/bad attitudes

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (01/01/70)

> to compound the error by embracing it as a "solution" to the deep and serious
> problem of sexism in society is, in my opinion, far worse. What I oppose
> here is not just the continued emasculation of the language, but the
> notion that the singular 'they' will *by itself* have the slightest effect over
> Marcel Simon

*** REPLACEMENTS AVAILABLE ON REQUEST ***

Perhaps that is the problem.

If a language is emasculated then it is / must be feminized
so what marcek is objecting to is simply the trend for women
to play larger and larger parts in many different areas of endeavor
and if the language where changed so that no one could tell
if it was a male or female being talked about then there would
be one less way to discriminate with regard to sex and this would
seemingly remove marcel's playtoy.
Me OH MY!!
What would this world come to if that happened.

Jeanette L. Zobjeck
       wlcrjs!        			All opinions expressed are
ihnp4!<       >zubbie			strictly my own unless
       ihlpa!				someone else wants them too.

jdh@hou5g.UUCP (Julia Harper) (03/22/85)

<>
to those who ask:
What kind of bad attitudes could sexist language foster?
Why use 3 words (he or she) when it's more comfortable and easier to use 1?

It is not more comfortable for me to say or hear said "he" rather than
"they" or "she or he" when referring to an unidentified person with whom
I may perhaps wish to identify.

It does not put me at ease to know that he is used in sentences all the
time, causing listeners/readers to imagine a man as they take in whatever
scenerio is being described.  In fact, using the word "he" actively
discourages me and others from imagining a woman as the central figure
in the scene described.  Using "he" fosters the bad attitude of assuming
men always take active roles.  This attitude has far reaching implications
(such as fostering the attitude that women don't (don't want to or can't)
take active roles).

--
Julia Harper
[ihnp4,ariel]!hou5g!jdh

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (03/23/85)

> It is not more comfortable for me to say or hear said "he" rather than
> "they" or "she or he" when referring to an unidentified person with whom
> I may perhaps wish to identify.
>
> It does not put me at ease to know that he is used in sentences all the
> time, causing listeners/readers to imagine a man as they take in whatever
> scenerio is being described.  In fact, using the word "he" actively
> discourages me and others from imagining a woman as the central figure
> in the scene described.  Using "he" fosters the bad attitude of assuming
> men always take active roles.  This attitude has far reaching implications
> (such as fostering the attitude that women don't (don't want to or can't)
> take active roles).
>
> Julia Harper

You may be right. In cases like that, correct the speaker.
Write to the magazine. Flame the poster. Take action.
Alternately, take action yourself. Point to that action.
Point to your femaleness. My point is, do not neuter the language
because you do not wish to correct a bad situation yourself.

The above paragraph sounds a lot harsher than I intend it to.
Let's try again. I don't think the language should be blamed for
deficiencies in people's thinking. It is correct that sexism runs
deep in American society. It is not correct that language modifications
will do much to eradicate sexism. To approach the problem of
sexism with pseudo solutions like a singular 'they' will not solve the
problem. It will introduce confusion and ambiguity in communication.
(I previously posted an article that detailed options to using
gender specific pronouns in gender neutral situations.)
Embracing silly causes like the singular 'they' will give
ammunitions to the enemies of feminism, who may well jump on it
as an example of the 'evils' likely to be perpetrated by the
women's movement. Remember, the ERA was defeated in part because
its enemies convinced many that it would bring about silly things,
like coeds bathrooms... Let's not make those mistakes again.

Marcel Simon

chris@pyuxc.UUCP (R. Hollenbeck) (03/25/85)

Recently, someone posted an article on the acceptability of
using "they" in place of "he or she."  If anyone has
any similar articles, I'd appreciate copies.
I'm a technical editor, and I'd like to gather enough evidence
to support my dumping the cumbersome "he/she."

Send via UNIX mail or to:

   R. C. Hollenbeck
   Bell Communications Research
   Room 3F-152
   8 Corporate Place
   Piscataway, NJ  08854

Thanks.

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (03/26/85)

Using "s/he" or the singular "they" IS taking action, Marcel.  It is
an alteration of the language to suit the needs of the people.

Language is a symbolic method for organizing intelligence.  It is _not_
true that we "think" without words.  A language that lacks a lexicon for
certain concepts has an incomplete notion of those concepts.  To make
concrete for ourselves, peers, children the notion that men and women
are equal legally, economically, potentially, we need to create a word
that expresses that concept explicitly.  The singular "they", like the
singular "you" is a formalization of the concept.

Frankly, I am in favor of borrowing from another language a neuter pronoun
(the Latin "on" doesn't quite work, since it is an English word in its
own right) and using that.  That makes the situation even more screamingly
obvious, though, and many people object to such methods.  The singular
"they" captures the concept and is generally understood.

From a purist point of view, it grates on the ear -- there I will agree
with you.  But we live in the real world, warts and all.  "They" is on
it's way, and you are going to be a very frustrated person if you insist
on misunderstanding/correcting that usage.

ps@celerity.UUCP (Pat Shanahan) (03/27/85)

> ... To approach the problem of
> sexism with pseudo solutions like a singular 'they' will not solve the
> problem. It will introduce confusion and ambiguity in communication.
>
> Marcel Simon

Marcel - Thou art lacking in consideration for the history of English, if thou
thinkest that replacing a singular pronoun and its corresponding verb forms
will seriously damage the language. I disagree with thee.

If I had written this in conventional modern English, you would have had no
way of knowing that this sentence is intended to be directed to readers in
general, even though the first sentence was addressed to an individual. The
switch between singular and plural pronouns expresses this perfectly. Note
that people are so used to the use of second person plural verbs that my use
of second person singular verb forms in this article is archaic.

The only reason for using the plural in addressing an individual is one of
politeness - the plural was considered more respectful.
--
	ps
	(Pat Shanahan)

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (03/27/85)

In article <276@mhuxr.UUCP> mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) writes:

>It is correct that sexism runs deep in American society.  It is not
>correct that language modifications will do much to eradicate sexism.

Neither of us knows for sure, but I think that you're wrong.  However, I,
like you, am conservative about language change, so I've walked a narrow
line on the subject.

When I was writing Inside BASIC Games, one of the first things my editor
did was to change a generic "he" to "he/she".  I wasn't willing to accept
that, but I recognized that something needed to be done.  The solution I
found was to write all of the descriptions of how to play the games in the
second person.  It worked quite well.  In fact, one reviewer, a woman, said
"I felt like the author was sitting beside me because of his easygoing
personal style."

Amusingly, there almost was one generic "he" in the book.  In describing
what had happened on a "screen" in which the following appeared:

Name: JOHN

I wrote "the player indicates that his/her name is JOHN".  Alas, my editor
changed "his/her" to "his" (same editor), but I later recast the description
to eliminate the "his".
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (03/29/85)

> > ... To approach the problem of
> > sexism with pseudo solutions like a singular 'they' will not solve the
> > problem. It will introduce confusion and ambiguity in communication.
>
> Marcel - Thou art lacking in consideration for the history of English...
> If I had written this in conventional modern English, you would have had no
> way of knowing that this sentence is intended to be directed to readers in
> general, even though the first sentence was addressed to an individual. The
> switch between singular and plural pronouns expresses this perfectly. Note
> that people are so used to the use of second person plural verbs that my use
> of second person singular verb forms in this article is archaic.
>
> The only reason for using the plural in addressing an individual is one of
> politeness - the plural was considered more respectful.
> --
> 	(Pat Shanahan)
I suspect that the "grass roots" aspect of the singular 'they' movemment comes
from confusion over whether expressions like 'each other', 'someone', etc,
as in "if someone wants to do something then they should be allowed to do so,"
are singular or plural. I don't think such expressions result from specific
attempts at gender neutrality in the general vernacular.
They are simply bad grammar. For people, like usenetters, who should know better,
to compound the error by embracing it as a "solution" to the deep and serious
problem of sexism in society is, in my opinion, far worse. What I oppose
here is not just the continued emasculation of the language, but the
notion that the singular 'they' will *by itself* have the slightest effect over
people's attitudes.

After all, should blacks and asians consider racist expressions like "he harbors
dark thoughts" or "she is yellow with jealousy (or cowardice)"? Should
there be a movement to ban these expressions from the language or
replace them with something suitably color- and meaning-less? Would
such a movement, even if successful, have the slightest effect on
racist attitudes?

Marcel Simon

"Ce qui se concoit bien s'enonce clairement
Et les mots pour le dire arrivent aisement"
Boileau

thau@h-sc1.UUCP (robert thau) (03/30/85)

> I suspect that the "grass roots" aspect of the singular 'they' movemment comes
> from confusion over whether expressions like 'each other', 'someone', etc,
> as in "if someone wants to do something then they should be allowed to do so,"
> are singular or plural. I don't think such expressions result from specific
> attempts at gender neutrality in the general vernacular.
> They are simply bad grammar. For people, like usenetters, who should know better,
> to compound the error by embracing it as a "solution" to the deep and serious
> problem of sexism in society is, in my opinion, far worse. What I oppose
> here is not just the continued emasculation of the language, but the
> notion that the singular 'they' will *by itself* have the slightest effect
> over people's attitudes.

Marcel, do you offer devotions to your outdated grammar books every night?
There is no English Academy, (and even if there were, Americans would ignore
it) which is one reason French is nowadays importing words from English,
rather than the other way around.

Conventional grammar is just that, a convention, and if conventions have to
change to fit the times, so be it.  Shakespeare did very well with multiple
negatives (up to quintuple), the second person singular, and so forth; none
of this is considered "correct" today, although we still recognize that
Shakespeare wrote quite beautifully.  "They" is evolving into a gender-neutral
pronoun, perhaps in just the way you suggest.  What's wrong with that?

A gender-neutral pronoun does not necessarily make the language less
forceful, less succinct, or less beautiful in the hands of a competent writer.
(Why on earth did you find it necessary to use the word "emasculate"?)
Usage of "they" might not be endorsed by all the style books yet, so wait
20 years.  You'll feel a lot better.  Trust me.

Your friendly neighborhood scratched record
Robert Thau
rst@tardis.ARPA
h-sc1%thau@harvard.ARPA

jss@brunix.UUCP (Judith Schrier) (04/03/85)

OK, we are all computer-oriented people, to some extent, or what are we
doing here? Permit me to quote a couple of well-known computer scientists:

"We must recognize the strong and undeniable influence that our language
exerts on our way of thinking, and in fact defines and delimits the
abstract space in which we can formulate -- give form to -- our thoughts."
	N. Wirth, 1974

"Language is the vehicle by which we express our thoughts, and the
relation between those thoughts and our language is a subtle and
involuted one. The nature of language actually shapes and models the
way we think.
	W. A. Wulf, 1977

Both quoted in Ghezzi and Jazayeri's "Programming Language Concepts",
1982, Wiley, p. 13.

judith
brunix!jss

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (04/09/85)

> OK, we are all computer-oriented people, to some extent, or what are we
> doing here? Permit me to quote a couple of well-known computer scientists:
>
> "We must recognize the strong and undeniable influence that our language
> exerts on our way of thinking, and in fact defines and delimits the
> abstract space in which we can formulate -- give form to -- our thoughts."
> 	N. Wirth, 1974
>
> "Language is the vehicle by which we express our thoughts, and the
> relation between those thoughts and our language is a subtle and
> involuted one. The nature of language actually shapes and models the
> way we think.
> 	W. A. Wulf, 1977
>
> Both quoted in Ghezzi and Jazayeri's "Programming Language Concepts",
> 1982, Wiley, p. 13.

Oh, if we're all computer science types, and if a computer scientist says it's
so, then we'll believe it? Give me a break.

I think the most compelling reasons for altering one's usage (something I'm
not wild about) come from the individual experiences that I have read about
(on the net, for instance) and not from the *opinions* of people who happen
to be well-known computer scientists, or well-known anything else.

	This exercise in anarchic populism brought to you by...
				Jeff Winslow

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (04/12/85)

> > OK, we are all computer-oriented people, to some extent, or what are we
> > doing here? Permit me to quote a couple of well-known computer scientists:
> >
> Oh, if we're all computer science types, and if a computer scientist says it's
> so, then we'll believe it? Give me a break.
>
> I think the most compelling reasons for altering one's usage (something I'm
> not wild about) come from the individual experiences that I have read about
> (on the net, for instance) and not from the *opinions* of people who happen
> to be well-known computer scientists, or well-known anything else.
>
> 	This exercise in anarchic populism brought to you by...
> 				Jeff Winslow

You're right about what the compelling reasons are for altering usage,
but before jumping on the report of those "opinions" you seem to
disdain so much, consider what the original posting was really about.

Rather than suggest that we should automatically believe these
suggestions because they were made by computer scientists, I suspect
that the original poster (whose name wasn't in Jeff's quote and
I dnd't see the original posting) was saying was that here are
comments on the subject from people whose thinking we may have
considered in other areas and may thereby respect.  It's also the case
that these comments were *not* related to the particular question
of sexist language (and the relationship of women to language in
general) but to the *general* relationship of language to the way
people think, which, in my mind at least, makes for an even stronger
case.

Why, also, do you challenge them as *opinions*?  I don't know the
particulars of these quotes, but there is a strong similarity
between the study of formal (e.g., programming) languages and
natural languages.  There are many prominent researchers who
have done fundamental research in both fields.  Noam Chomsky
leaps to mind as a prime example.  These quotes may be derived
from, and certainly agree with my limited knowledge of, studies
of natural language.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) (04/13/85)

Marcel Simon:
> If you'll recall, this entire discussion started when someone posted an article
> lauding the decision by some group to use the singular 'they' to indicate gender
> neutrality. The author praised this as a "small victory" in the fight
> against sexist language.

Nancy Parsons:
Again, Marcel, this is not so.  I repeat: the "small victory" was that a
group of conservative Christians with "traditional," unsensitive attitudes
became sesitive to the point of not only recognizing the effect of language
on their attitudes, but of being willing to change their language.  I would
have celebrated if they had chosen to use a "generic she," a "plural it,"
or any outrageous thing!!!

You may want to celebrate language.  I don't.  I want to celebrate
feminist consciousness in those forms that I detect are indicative of
positive growth.

>                                                                   ...It may
> be that sexism in language contributes subliminally to the reinforcement
> of sexist attitudes. However, I feel that a good dose of consciousness raising
> is worth far more than a book full of the singular 'they'.

You don't think that relearning habits of speech raises one's consciousness
of the prevalence of sexist bias in one's culture?

Nancy Parsons
AT&T ISL

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (04/16/85)

> Nancy Parsons:
> Again, Marcel, this is not so.  I repeat: the "small victory" was that a
> group of conservative Christians with "traditional," unsensitive attitudes
> became sesitive to the point of not only recognizing the effect of language
> on their attitudes, but of being willing to change their language.  I would
> have celebrated if they had chosen to use a "generic she," a "plural it,"
> or any outrageous thing!!!

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I guess all my multiline postings
missed the point entirely. Oops! Never mind, folks

> You don't think that relearning habits of speech raises one's consciousness
> of the prevalence of sexist bias in one's culture?

I now understand that your original posting cheered the raised consciousness
of a conservative group, leading to the changed language habit. I still
feel that consciousness raising should come first, followed by some conscious
action, such as a changed language habit.

Marcel Simon

zubbie@wlcrjs.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (04/16/85)

In article <846@druxo.UUCP> nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) writes:

>You don't think that relearning habits of speech raises one's consciousness
>of the prevalence of sexist bias in one's culture?
>
>Nancy Parsons
>AT&T ISL

Not only does the awareness increase but the wish to make changes becomes
stronger, at least for those who are concerned with moving away from
sexist society into something healthier. I Marcel Simon's case  I am
beginning to believe that he would rather have a situation ongoing
which of itself would distract from the relearning process and so add
a generation or two before any real progress could be made. I think too
that this suits a great many men ( and some women I have met ) beacuse
they are possed of a fear that when sexist ideas are finally shown for
the waste which these ideas are then the world will somehow be less
available for the easy picking the stereotyping of the sexes makes
it for men.
	I'm not saying the world is a bed of roses but re-iterating
a concept I stated earlier.

------For any given individual or group of individuals who operate
	regularily under a handicap (natural or manufactured) and
	find a way to succede towards the goals which they have
	chosen , then that same individual or group of individuals
	removed suddenly from the restraint by that handicap will
	show the superiority which enabled them to be a success
	while so hindered.

From the mostly vacant environment of  Jeanette L. Zobjeck (ihnp4!wlcrjs!zubbie)

All opinions expressed may not even be my own.
       wlcrjs!
ihnp4!<       >zubbie
       ihlpa!

Jeanette L. Zobjeck

mfs@mhuxr.UUCP (SIMON) (04/18/85)

> Jeannette Zobjeck:
> Not only does the awareness increase but the wish to make changes becomes
> stronger, at least for those who are concerned with moving away from
> sexist society into something healthier. I Marcel Simon's case  I am
> beginning to believe that he would rather have a situation ongoing
> which of itself would distract from the relearning process and so add
> a generation or two before any real progress could be made. I think too
> that this suits a great many men ( and some women I have met ) beacuse
> they are possed of a fear that when sexist ideas are finally shown for
> the waste which these ideas are then the world will somehow be less
> available for the easy picking the stereotyping of the sexes makes
> it for men.

Oh I get it. I don't like the singular they, therefore it follows that I
"would rather have a situation ongoing which ... would distract from the
relearning process and so add a generation or two before real progress
could be made." Nice piece of logic, Zobjeck. Why don't you come right out
and wonder if I've stopped beating my wife or something, while you are at it?

Marcel Simon

west@utcsri.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (04/21/85)

  The entire he/she/they/one debate can be divided into two parts.

(1) Using non-gender specific terms vs. gender specific terms where actual
    gender is unknown.

  There are those who claim that 'he' is the gender neutral pronoun in the
English language.  They are, in a grammatical sense, correct.  The problem
comes with the people.  When the term 'he' is used, a *male* image is
thought of, regardless of the fact that the term was supposed to be neutral.
Yes, this *is* bad English, but it is also fact.  The word 'he' is supposed
to be a neuter pronoun, but it *isn't* nor is it ever likely to be.  Thus
defending this usage in the terms of grammatical correctness is just whining
in the face of facts about how we actually use the language.  They can
complain as long as they wish, it doesn't change the facts.
  Given the realization of how the language is actually used, it becomes
fairly obvious that this is going to have an effect on the people who use
it.  Specifically, the language is pushing forward the idea that women
play an almost totally insignificant part in our society outside of a few
restricted roles.  More importantly, the language re-inforces the idea
that this set of roles is expected and accepted by society at large.
Unless one postualtes that people are for the most part completely
uninfluenced by the language that they use (a completely foolish postulate,
in my opinion), it then comes down to the fact that the present day
language *is* making it harder for society to accept women as equals.
Thus accepting the use of 'he' as the neuter pronoun becomes tacit
support for the re-inforcement of the ideas stated above.

Continued use of 'he' indicates either the user...
   (1) believes that people imagine a 'neuter' person when
       the word 'he' is used.
or (2) believes that the users of a language are totally uninfluenced
       by the language that they use.
or (3) believes that maintaining the 'purity' of the English language
       is more important than the ill-effects on society the language
       promotes.
or (4) Can't be bothered to change the language construct used, despite
       the fact that they know the influence it has.
  Those that espouse none of the above conditions must have no choice but
to change.

(2) As for the use of one/they debate.
   The use of one is grammatically correct, but has fallen into such disuse
that it sounds pretentious and stilted.  Since I usually sound pretentious
and stilted, I tend to use the 'one' construct.  However it doesn't help
in a conversation if the person you are talking to breaks up in laughter,
(as has occurred when the constructs became too stilted in an effort to
avoid a gender-specific pronoun.)
   The use of the 'they' construct is now used often enough that it sounds
'natural' to most listeners (tough luck, Marcel).  Hence, most will probably
opt for the grammaticaly incorrect but natural sounding 'they' construct
rather than the grammatically correct but stilted 'one' construct.
   However, most importantly, the use of either one is such an incredibly
subjective decision that I can't see why there is an argument brewing here.
While Mr. Simon can mourn the passing of a grammatically correct
structure in favour of another construct, the main issue, the use
of gender-specific pronouns or not, is already resolved between the two
groups.
   (I am assuming that the two sides have been Marcel Simon supporting the
use of the 'one' construct versus a host of others supporting the 'they'
construct.  Do enlighten me if I am wrong.)

               Tom West
  Serve The Computer, The Computer Is Your Friend.
 { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsri!west

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (04/23/85)

> But I would guess that programming languages are so much simpler that no
> conclusions regarding the relationship of natural languages to thought
> processes can be drawn from their study. And that is why I don't place
> much stock in someone's opinion on the subject *just because they are a
> well-known computer scientist*. (There - proper use of singular they!)
> But I would be happy to read informed, non-technical articles to the
> contrary, if anyone would care to reference or excerpt them.
>
> 					Jeff Winslow

I'll check with my linguist friends for something reasonable in that
literature, and I'll check for some in the computer science literature.
(When I get a chance - I'm off for another whirlwind install-systems-and-
visit-customers trip.)

It may be true that programming languages are much simpler than natural
languages - in both syntax and semantics - but they're not really that
different in the way they affect people.

> PS. Why does the name of the original poster matter? I thought we were
>     dealing in ideas, not personalities (with a few notable exceptions
>     who shall remain blissfully nameless).

In some sense it doesn't, but since we're discussing ideas that have
been put forth by individuals, they should receive credit for those
ideas.  Context, i.e. what else that individual might have said on
the subject, can be relevant, too.  Personality isn't an issue at all.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (04/25/85)

Tom West:

>   There are those who claim that 'he' is the gender neutral pronoun in the
> English language.  They are, in a grammatical sense, correct.  The problem
> comes with the people.  When the term 'he' is used, a *male* image is
> thought of, regardless of the fact that the term was supposed to be neutral.

> [...]  Specifically, the language is pushing forward the idea that women
> play an almost totally insignificant part in our society outside of a few
> restricted roles.  More importantly, the language re-inforces the idea
> that this set of roles is expected and accepted by society at large.

This is an example of the fairly sloppy post hoc egro propter hoc reasoning
that seems to be becoming increasingly prevalent these days.  As Tom points
out, studies have shown that "when the term 'he' is used, a *male* image
is thought of".  So far, this merely establishes a correlation between the
two events.  How one can infer, from this correlation, that there's some
sort of causal connection between the two isn't clear to me.  It reminds me
of an article in net.flame a while back, suggesting that portable
radios should be banned because of the correlation between high incidence
of ghetto blasters and high crime rates in big cities.

Let me give a few examples.  The chances are that if I mention "fireman" to
you, you'll think of a male; let me suggest that this is due _not_ to the
fact that there's a "-man" suffix, but because practically all the firemen
you've ever seen have been males.  Similarly, when I say "cheerleader", the
chances are you'll think of a young female ... let me suggest, again, that
this is because almost all the cheerleaders you've seen have been young
females.  Note that there's nothing in the word that suggests that a
cheerleader couldn't be a middle-aged male: it's your experience of the
world that biases your perception of the word.  What's going on is some sort
of inductive inference ... if you saw enough middle-aged male cheerleaders,
I dare say this bias would change.

Similarly, not having known of very many young black female presidents of
the USA, when I say "President of the United States", you'll probably think
of a middle-aged white male.  On the other hand, if I say "Prime Minister",
I would suspect you wouldn't have a pronounced bias towards either sex,
since there have been quite a few female prime ministers (Golda Meir, Indira
Gandhi and Margaret Thatcher come to mind).  Again, take the word "chef":
most people I know associate this with males wearing funny white hats. It's
not obvious to me how gender-specificity might have been built into this
word.

The point I'm trying to make is that even when some sort of correlation has
been established between a word and some sort of mental image conjured up by
that word, it _does not_ follow that there's a causal link between them.
I've tried to show, using a few examples, that a strong case can be made for
experiential generalization being the cause of the particular mental image -
I'm sure you can find many other such examples.

Now until you can demonstrate a convincing causal relationship between the
use of "he" and the conjuring up of a mental "male" image, I'll view your
attempts to change my world-view by changing my language as an attempt to
treat the symptom rather than the disease (Sapir-Whorf and George Orwell
notwithstanding!).  And if you can't demonstrate such a causal relationship,
well, that's a pretty serious flaw in your argument, isn't it?  I'd suggest
that you try to get more women into the work force, fighting fires and
delivering mail: that, I think, would be more effective in changing the
"male" image associated with "fireman" and "postman" than any amount of
linguistic twiddling.

The reason for this long article is that I resent being labelled as one who
is "just whining in the face of facts about how we actually use the
language" when it's not at all clear what these so-called "facts about
how we actually use the language", and the causal relationships between
them, actually are.  Maybe this comes as a surprise, but correct grammar
_is_ important to some of us - not because of some esoteric dogma, but
because sloppy grammar makes for awkward language.

The defence rests.
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

west@utcsri.UUCP (Thomas L. West) (04/28/85)

Tom West:
>>   There are those who claim that 'he' is the gender neutral pronoun in the
>> English language.  They are, in a grammatical sense, correct.  The problem
>> comes with the people.  When the term 'he' is used, a *male* image is
>> thought of, regardless of the fact that the term was supposed to be neutral.

Saumya Debray:
>This is an example of the fairly sloppy post hoc egro propter hoc reasoning
>that seems to be becoming increasingly prevalent these days.  As Tom points
>out, studies have shown that "when the term 'he' is used, a *male* image
>is thought of".  So far, this merely establishes a correlation between the
>two events.  How one can infer, from this correlation, that there's some
>sort of causal connection between the two isn't clear to me.  It reminds me
>of an article in net.flame a while back, suggesting that portable
>radios should be banned because of the correlation between high incidence
>of ghetto blasters and high crime rates in big cities.

  I also pointed out that when a neutral term was used, people tended to
have a non-gender specific image or one the same sex as theirs.  While
you are quite right about the fact that the job will often conjure up
images of the person in accordance with the typical worker, it seems a
little bit unusual that the standard image conjured up for *all* jobs
would be male (as happens when 'he' is used).
  When somebody talks about a generic teacher as 'he', do you think
female despite the fact that the profession is not terribly male
dominated?  Personally, I will usually conjure up a female image if dealing
primary school teacher, because they do constitute the majority of primary
school teachers...  UNTIL A 'HE' IS USED.

  Yes, use of the word 'he' *is* responsible for a much of the fact that
we conjure up male images for non-gender specific jobs, *regardless* of
what the actual true ratios are.

  Also, if you can actually say (with a straight face) that the use
of the 'he' construct over a non-gender specific equivelent has
*NO* effect on the developing youngster (specifically the female)
then I appreciate that we have found the basis case for our disagreement.
However, I really don't see how such could possibly *not* have an effect.
Remember, that unless the profession is *TOTALLY* female dominated, the
image evoked is male when 'he' is used. (And that is really only because
a generic nurse or some such completely female dominated professional
is probably termed as 'her' if the gender is unknown).  Used
"properly" as a non-gender specific term, the word 'he' will evoke
a male image in each and every non-gender specific pronoun reference for
the entire developmental period of every english speaking adult.  I
can't imagine how *anyone* could say that this would not have an effect
on society!

If you can not, then you fall into one of the other two categories of
(1) not caring enough about the effect to change.
(2) considering the preservation of the language in its present form
    more important than the effect on our society.

  Choose.

  The offense never rests.

  Tom West            (The offensive never rest either...)
 { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsri!west

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (04/30/85)

> Tom West:
>
> >   There are those who claim that 'he' is the gender neutral pronoun in the
> > English language.  They are, in a grammatical sense, correct.  The problem
> > comes with the people.  When the term 'he' is used, a *male* image is
> > thought of, regardless of the fact that the term was supposed to be neutral.
>
> This is an example of the fairly sloppy post hoc egro propter hoc reasoning
> that seems to be becoming increasingly prevalent these days.  As Tom points
> out, studies have shown that "when the term 'he' is used, a *male* image
> is thought of".  So far, this merely establishes a correlation between the
> two events.  How one can infer, from this correlation, that there's some
> sort of causal connection between the two isn't clear to me.

I postulate the following theory:  The use of the word 'he' as the gender
neutral pronoun came into use because the male was considered more 'typical'
of the species, not to mention more important.  Now, whether or not you
agree with this attitude, if this theory is correct, then that IS why you
use that pronoun.  I think that there is something wrong with this, and it
should be changed.

If you don't agree with this theory, I would like to see any alternatives
you may have.

	marie desjardins

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (05/01/85)

> I postulate the following theory:  The use of the word 'he' as the gender
> neutral pronoun came into use because the male was considered more 'typical'
> of the species, not to mention more important.

> 	marie desjardins

An intriguing hypothesis, unfortunately marred by a couple of flaws:

- In German, the word "sie" stands for both "she" and "they".  Perhaps
  German males were considered atypical of the species?  Or less
  important?  (Funny, I'd never thought of the Prussian officer class
  in that light!)

- In many Arabian- and Sanskrit-based languages, there _is_ no gender-
  specific pronoun (Bengali, for example, has one third-person singular
  pronoun, which is gender-neutral).  Believe me, these societies consider
  their males to be more important!
--

jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) (05/01/85)

> I postulate the following theory:  The use of the word 'he' as the gender
> neutral pronoun came into use because the male was considered more 'typical'
> of the species, not to mention more important.
> 	marie desjardins

Too true. The "standard" or "default" sex is male, and we tend to assume that
the protagonist in any situation is male, even if it's impossible:

"There was a bee in the living room, but I chased him out."
	"Chased _her_ out. Unless it's a drone, it was a female bee."
[Nevertheless, wouldn't it have sounded strange to be zoologically correct?]

My three-year-old niece was buiding an unlikely structure with her blocks.
"It's a house for Mr Brown" she said. I said "How about Mrs Brown?" (not
wanting to confuse the poor kid with "Ms" at so tender an age).
"No, _Mr_ Brown", she insisted. She already knows who does anything worth
doing in this world, which isn't surprising if you look at books for small
children. It's not that the characters are all depicted in "sexist" roles,
just that anything that's done, good or bad, is done by males. Sad, sad, sad.

	John Purbrick ...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!mit-hermes!jpexg

bing@galbp.UUCP (Bing Bang) (05/06/85)

Everyone in this corner of the net seems to be so serious,
but I'd like to inject something hopefully of a lighter content

How many of you have access to Mtv? I do, and they are showing now
a new Tom Petty vedio that interests me.  Ol' Tom plays a punky
Mad Hatter in this Alice-in -Wonderland type vedio where they mistreat
poor Alice in various comical ways, and in the end she becomes a sort
of live cake and people cut slices out of her and stand around eating.

It's a total farce, and taken that way, I like the vedio, but I can see
how some people might be offended by it.

Has anybody else seen it?

Please direct flames to ...galbp!MCP

--
----------
"No, you stupid computer, do what I mean, not what I type!"

smann@iham1.UUCP (Sherry Mann) (05/08/85)

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (05/09/85)

In article <2382@mit-hermes.ARPA> jpexg@mit-hermes.ARPA (John Purbrick) writes:
>> I postulate the following theory:  The use of the word 'he' as the gender
>> neutral pronoun came into use because the male was considered more 'typical'
>> of the species, not to mention more important.
>> 	marie desjardins
>Too true. The "standard" or "default" sex is male, and we tend to assume that
>the protagonist in any situation is male, even if it's impossible:

Not always.  Imagine

	When a secretary answers the phone, he should ...
				or
	After a nurse gaves the shot, he should ...

where the sex of the person being described is unknown.  If you are like
everyone I've ever tried this out on, these will sound funny.  In fact,
the default gender is assumed to male unless the expected gender for
the description is female.  This must make it pretty hard for male nurses
and scretaries.  Almost as hard, in fact, as it probably is for female
truck drivers, fire fighters, police officers, ...

		Ken Arnold

wong@rtech.ARPA (J. Wong) (05/09/85)

> - In German, the word "sie" stands for both "she" and "they".
> Saumya Debray

Sorry, but the distinction between "she" and "they" is quite clear in German.
The ending of the verb always disambiguates.  For example,

	"Sie ist ..." --> "She is ..."
	"Sie sind ..." --> "They are ..."
--
				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it.
You're talking alot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again.		- David Byrne

gts@dmcnh.UUCP (Guy The Schafer) (05/13/85)

Replacing 'man' with 'person' is great in theory but every newspaper or tele-
news I've seen uses chairman when referring to a man and chairperson when
referring to a woman.  If you don't believe it, read and listen for yourself.
It is quite humorous, actually.
+-------------------------------------+
| USENET: decvax!ittvax!sii!dmcnh!gts |
| USMail: 14-F Hampshire Drive        |
|         Nashua, NH  03063           |
| NEBell: (603) 880-2069              |
+-------------------------------------+
COMING SOON:  A quote from John Irving.

nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) (05/15/85)

> the default gender is assumed to male unless the expected gender for
> the description is female.  This must make it pretty hard for male nurses
> and scretaries.  Almost as hard, in fact, as it probably is for female
> truck drivers, fire fighters, police officers, ...

Not quite...men have greater "permission" from society to do what pleases
them, even when it goes against societal norms.

Nancy Parsons

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (beth d. christy) (05/15/85)

From: nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA), Message-ID: <857@druxo.UUCP>:
>> the default gender is assumed to male unless the expected gender for
>> the description is female.  This must make it pretty hard for male nurses
>> and scretaries.  Almost as hard, in fact, as it probably is for female
>> truck drivers, fire fighters, police officers, ...
>
>Not quite...men have greater "permission" from society to do what pleases
>them, even when it goes against societal norms.
>
>Nancy Parsons

I'm not sure I agree with Nancy here.  I think there are *tremendous*
pressures against males doing pretty much anything that's "typically
female".  Women are free to wear clothes designed for men as well as
those designed for women.  Men, on the other hand, simply cannot wear
a skirt and sandals to the office on a hot summer day.  And I imagine
there are really serious pressures on male nurses and secretaries.
I'm trying to imagine what a male secretary would put up with when
some fellow asks him what he does over a beer in a bar.  Pretty grim,
I bet.  And I'd imagine a male nurse would have a rough time dealing
not only with doctors and patients, but even with other nurses.  And
look at the "Kelly Girl"-type organizations.  (Note both the exclu-
sion of men and the degradation of women in the title - charming,
eh?)  They're putting EEO in their ads, but I doubt men are accepted
by clients as readily as women are.

I think some of this is related to what was mentioned in an earlier
posting, i.e., that it's healthy for men to want to be men and it's
healthy for women to want to be men too.  People can understand why a
woman would want to adopt typically male roles, but it's hard to
imagine why a man would want to be adopt typically female roles.
There's also a practical issue here.  (Stereo)Typically female jobs
pay a helluva lot less than (stereo)typically male jobs.  It *is*
kind of hard to understand why men would prefer them (with the poss-
ible exception of homemaker - that one is at least quite rewarding).

Anyway, I think there's a *very* pervasive pressure against men
"relinquishing their masculinity", and, stronger sex tho they may be
(:-), I doubt many could withstand it.

--

--JB                                             "The giant is awake."

Disclaimer?  Who wud claim dis?

mat@mtx5b.UUCP (Mark Terribile) (05/16/85)

>>Not quite...men have greater "permission" from society to do what pleases
>>them, even when it goes against societal norms.
>>Nancy Parsons
>...I think there are *tremendous* pressures against males doing pretty much
> anything that's "typically female".  Women are free to wear clothes designed
> for men as well as those designed for women.  Men, on the other hand, simply
> cannot wear a skirt and sandals to the office on a hot summer day.  And I
> imagine there are really serious pressures on male nurses and secretaries.
> I'm trying to imagine what a male secretary would put up with when some
> fellow asks him what he does over a beer in a bar.  Pretty grim, I bet.

Where I used to work, every day during National Secretaries' Week a flower would
appear on each secretaries desk.  One of the VPs was Judy S. and her secretary
Greg looked real cute next to the flower!

As to what you say:  ``I'm an assistant to the Vice President for ...''.
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (05/21/85)

> From: nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA), Message-ID: <857@druxo.UUCP>:
> >> the default gender is assumed to male unless the expected gender for
> >> the description is female.  This must make it pretty hard for male nurses
> >> and scretaries.  Almost as hard, in fact, as it probably is for female
> >> truck drivers, fire fighters, police officers, ...
> >
> >Not quite...men have greater "permission" from society to do what pleases
> >them, even when it goes against societal norms.
> >
> >Nancy Parsons
>
> I'm not sure I agree with Nancy here.  I think there are *tremendous*
> pressures against males doing pretty much anything that's "typically
> female".  Women are free to wear clothes designed for men as well as
> those designed for women.  Men, on the other hand, simply cannot wear
> a skirt and sandals to the office on a hot summer day.  And I imagine
> there are really serious pressures on male nurses and secretaries.
>
> I think some of this is related to what was mentioned in an earlier
> posting, i.e., that it's healthy for men to want to be men and it's
> healthy for women to want to be men too.  People can understand why a
> woman would want to adopt typically male roles, but it's hard to
> imagine why a man would want to be adopt typically female roles.
> There's also a practical issue here.  (Stereo)Typically female jobs
> pay a helluva lot less than (stereo)typically male jobs.  It *is*
> kind of hard to understand why men would prefer them (with the poss-
> ible exception of homemaker - that one is at least quite rewarding).
>
> Anyway, I think there's a *very* pervasive pressure against men
> "relinquishing their masculinity", and, stronger sex tho they may be
> (:-), I doubt many could withstand it.
>
> --
>
> --JB                                             "The giant is awake."
>
> Disclaimer?  Who wud claim dis?

About 10 years ago I came across  a situation which even more strongly
points up this inability of even intelligent groups to deal with those
individuals who would  *cross the line * so to speak.

An individual ( we can call him fizbie ) who was well liked and
respected by all his fellow workers (mostly men at that time as it
was a rather technical environment) and recognized as extremely able
and knowledgeable decided to change his sex to female.
	(I'm not going to go into that part of it except to say it
	was only new news to the people he worked with)

	Obviously fizbie expected some flack but he (now she)
had pretty well managed to get the cranial appendage on straight.
The two noteable reactions at the time were:

	1) From males there was a general disbelief that someone
	as smart as fisbie would want to become a member of a
	second class class of workers (fisbie stayed on the same
	job however slowly management tried to steer her into
	the more clerical and less demanding (mentally) aspects of
	the job) since there "Just wasn't much place for women
	in that line of work".

	2) From the few females already in that line of work
	and from the other females in surrounding workspace
	a new friendship and respect was developed for this
	individual who had previously been just *one of the guys*
	to someone who really had the courage to stand up for
	what they believed in.

Fizbie's main accomplishment before being driven out of her job
by discrimination and perhaps sabotage was to train 18 women
into the men only world they worked  in . Today all 18 of those
women have risen into one type of management position or another
while the males (some of which fisbie also trained) are still
plugging along just as they had been when OLE FISBIE was just
*one of the guys*.

If I could locate fisbie today I imagine she would be doing as
well although maybe not because she always seemed to be ready to
champion unfashionable causes.

Jeanette L. Zobjeck
ihnp4!ilhpa!zubbie
================================================================================Any opinions expressed in this heyar posting belongs to me pardner