[net.women] Body Image, High Heels and All...

mason@pneuma.DEC (ANDREA...DTN 223-4864) (04/22/85)

>Can anyone tell me how to walk quietly in heels?
>Patty

I'm really glad that this subject has come up; high heels are a pet
peeve of mine.

I want to make it real clear that I am **not** flaming at Patty; I am
flaming at a society which still seeks to cripple women, both
physically and mentally, by dictating fashions in clothes as well as
body shape and what we think and how we choose to live.

>>Is there any rule that says you have to wear HEELS?
>>I try to wear the flattest shoes I can find,[....]

I don't have the name of the person who wrote this, but I completely
agree with her.  "The rule" that says we *have* to wear heels is the
fashion magazine, and the fashion designer.  We can tell them no, we
won't wear them.  The "rule" that says we *shouldn't* wear high heels is
our body:  heels are physically dangerous and damaging to legs, feet
and our backs.  There are not a huge amount of low heeled shoes
around; but they can be found.  Each time we shop in a shoe store we
can make our dissatifaction over the number of high heels to the
number of low heeled shoes available known to the owner/manager by
saying: "these shoes may be fashionable, but they are not comfortable;
why don't you stock more shoes with lower/low heels?"

I think that high heels are part of the male fantasy about how women
should look.  Heels certainly make women more vulnerable:  ever try to
run in them?  Ever try to just *walk* in them?  I have been watching
women in my company lately as they teeter down the halls and through
the parking lots on their heels.  I just don't understand how/why they
do it.  What is at all attractive about wobbling around on "stilts"?

High heeled fashions come from the desire to have women appear to
be what they are not.  These shoes appear to  make us taller; but a
tall woman is often "too tall" and is told to wear flats to
de-emphasize her height.  Similarly, make-up is meant to "hide our
flaws;" no one's face is just right:  either we have "too much" cheek
bone, or not enough; our eyes are "too small", or our mouths are "too
big" (woe to the woman who opens her too big mouth).

This discussion also fits into the recent discussion on net.women
about our body images and how comfortable/uncomfortable we are with
ourselves.  Our "what is right" image has been shaped by designers and
advertisers who use the ultra thin models and the woman who is unusual
in her looks rather than using everyday women who will eventually go
to the store to look for and buy clothes to wear in everyday settings.
These images make us believe that there is "something wrong" with us
because we do not look like that. I could go into body hair and self
image, but I won't...at this time.

I think it is very telling that one response to Patty's original
question was:

>>Some women have told me that they envy my "guts" to wear them [running
>>shoes] with dresses.

This indicates that as women we are still afraid to say what it is we
want or prefer.  We go along with what is expected so that we won't be
preceived as being "different".  It is hard to be different; but we
must try.  It seems like the first woman who said to herself "I'm
going to wear my running shoes to work and then change into shoes
which go with my outfit" was pretty daring.  When people began to see
what good sense this made, it became an accepted thing to do...all
good "yuppie women" started to do it; it became "the fashion."  Now we
need to go one step further and say, "if I can wear comfortable shoes
on my way to work, why can't I keep them on once I get there?"

****andrea mason****

UUCP:  decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-pneuma!mason
ARPA:  mason%pneuma.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

Disclaimer: The above thoughts are mine; my company makes computers, not
high heels.

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (04/24/85)

> I think that high heels are part of the male fantasy about how women
> should look.  Heels certainly make women more vulnerable:  ever try to
> run in them?  Ever try to just *walk* in them?  I have been watching
> women in my company lately as they teeter down the halls and through
> the parking lots on their heels.  I just don't understand how/why they
> do it.  What is at all attractive about wobbling around on "stilts"?

I sympathize with your desire to avoid wearing high heels; they look like
they must be about the most uncomfortable wearing apparel ever invented
(with he possible exception of neckties :-) ). Like neckties, there is no
good reason for requiring them to be worn.

However, I have to admit that, for some unknown reason, I do find them
attractive, if the woman who is wearing them is enough used to them that
she *doesn't wobble*. There is *nothing* attractive about wobbling around.
At least to this man. I hope this helps a little with clearing up the mystery.

					Jeff Winslow

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (04/24/85)

In article <1764@decwrl.UUCP> mason@pneuma.DEC (ANDREA...DTN 223-4864) writes:
>              Heels certainly make women more vulnerable:  ever try to
>run in them?  Ever try to just *walk* in them?  I have been watching
>women in my company lately as they teeter down the halls and through
>the parking lots on their heels.  I just don't understand how/why they
>do it.  What is at all attractive about wobbling around on "stilts"?

The vulnerability factor is the  key  here.  High  heels  are  designed  to
cripple  women  so they can't run away.  The same effect is achieved by the
Chinese custom of binding a woman's feet.  I've seen x-ray  photographs  of
the  bones  in  a  woman's  foot in a high heeled shoe and the bones in the
bound foot of a Chinese woman.  They're virtually identical.

(Yes, I'm aware of the legendary origins of foot-binding.  A thousand years
from  now  there's  probably  going  to be a legend about why women started
wearing high heels.)
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

nessus@nsc.UUCP (Kchula-Rrit) (04/25/85)

> This discussion also fits into the recent discussion on net.women
> about our body images and how comfortable/uncomfortable we are with
> ourselves.  Our "what is right" image has been shaped by designers and
> advertisers who use the ultra thin models and the woman who is unusual
> in her looks rather than using everyday women who will eventually go
> to the store to look for and buy clothes to wear in everyday settings.
> These images make us believe that there is "something wrong" with us
> because we do not look like that. I could go into body hair and self
> image, but I won't...at this time.
>
> I think it is very telling that one response to Patty's original
> question was:
>
> >>Some women have told me that they envy my "guts" to wear them [running
> >>shoes] with dresses.
>
> This indicates that as women we are still afraid to say what it is we
> want or prefer.  We go along with what is expected so that we won't be
> preceived as being "different".  It is hard to be different; but we
> must try.  It seems like the first woman who said to herself "I'm
> going to wear my running shoes to work and then change into shoes
> which go with my outfit" was pretty daring.  ...
>
> ****andrea mason****
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Disclaimer: The above thoughts are mine; my company makes computers, not
> high heels.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

     This reminds me of something that happened over the weekend(Apr 20)
to/with me.  The MOTAS and I were in a "second-hand" store looking at clothing.
     I ran across some ankle("full"?")-length skirts that looked very nice.  I
thought, "Gee, what a shame these aren't in style any more."
     I mentioned this to MOTAS, who said, in essence, "What does the current
fashion style/lack-therof(:-) have to do with your wearing something that you
like and looks good on you?  Are you going to let your tastes in clothing be
set by someone else?"
     After some thinking, I bought one of the skirts, a corduroy, which is
a material I've always felt comfortable in.  All my life I haven't necessarily
gone by "current-style" in choosing what I wear.  It's been pick and choose and
mix and match and sometimes things don't quite "look right" together, but I try
to coordinate things as best I can.  Sometimes people have tried to make me
feel strange because I don't have the inclination to look/dress/act like a
fashion model.  This [peer pressure] and its associated "strange"/guilt feeling
is sometimes incredibly hard to buck.  It can get SO depressing.  How do you
out there deal with this?

     People say, "Why don't you wear make-up?  I think it would look very
good on you."

     They don't believe me when I say(truthfully),

     0.  "I don't have the time"
     1.  "I have better things to do with my time"
     2.  "I can't paint"
     3.  "The computer doesn't care if I do or not"
     4.  Along with the usual things about skin, chemicals, etc.

     Same thing when people say "You dress funny."  "You don't shave your legs."
Because I don't shave my legs, I wear tights with skirts and dresses.  They
question me about that, too.  What's the problem?  I try to keep the colors
matched/coordinated.

     But then, I have/had some friends who 2-3 hours just to get ready to go
outside to get the mail or down the street to the 7-11.  You know, make-up and
all has to JUST right.  Nice people, but somehow it seems odd getting one of
them to throw a Frisbee(tm) in the park or walk in the woods.

     Sorry for rambling but it was just smouldering beneath the surface and I
just had to get it off my chest.

			    Kchula-Rrit
			    !menlo70!nessus

P.S.  Maybe I should change my pseudonym to "The Paranoid Android".

			    K-Rr

P.P.S.  The skirt was/is very comfortable(air-conditioned work place), except
	that it sticks to my tights.  Makes walking interesting.  They use the
	little drains in the floor of my building to draw off the liquid air.

			    K-Rr

carson@homxa.UUCP (P.CARSTENSEN) (04/26/85)

Just to clean up my net.image...when I started working, I just
about decided that I was going to conform and wear the heels --
and then I happened to get a look at the feet of a couple older
women I know (in their 60's), and decided I really did *not* want
twisted toes and general deformity one gets from wearing high
heels and pointed toes.  I wear 3/4 - 1 " heels to meetings,
but otherwise change out of the tennis shoes when I get around
to it...except when I am wearing slacks, in which case I sometimes
wear the hiking-style boots all day...

On another subject, how come all my male friends complain all
the time about it being impossible to find jackets with wide
enough shoulders *grin*
Patty

jeff@rtech.ARPA (Jeff Lichtman) (04/26/85)

>      People say, "Why don't you wear make-up?  I think it would look very
> good on you."
>
>      They don't believe me when I say(truthfully),
>
>      0.  "I don't have the time"
>      1.  "I have better things to do with my time"
>      2.  "I can't paint"
>      3.  "The computer doesn't care if I do or not"
>      4.  Along with the usual things about skin, chemicals, etc.
>
>      Same thing when people say "You dress funny."  "You don't shave your legs."
> Because I don't shave my legs, I wear tights with skirts and dresses.  They
> question me about that, too.  What's the problem?  I try to keep the colors
> matched/coordinated.
>
> 			    Kchula-Rrit

I was brought up to believe that questions and comments like this are extremely
rude.  I don't think they even deserve an answer.  In the unusual circumstance
that someone questions me about my personal appearance, I usually respond with
nothing but a blank stare.  Another appropriate response would be: "What
business is it of yours?"  Of course, these comments don't apply to people
with whom you are very close, where any topic of conversation should be OK.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (04/28/85)

i think i ought to bring up another point about high heels.  my boots have
a 1.5 inch riding heel (they're cowboy boots). ninety-nine percent of the
time i wear tennis shoes or jogging shoes, but for formal occaisions, i wear
my boots.  i have more back problems and my feet hurt more than when i'm
not wearing them.  women aren't the only ones with thes problems, but they
seem to be the majority.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu

hrs@homxb.UUCP (H.SILBIGER) (04/29/85)

In a previous incarnation as a civil engineer, when
working on a construction site, or surveying I wore
engineer boots. These are big, black clunky boots
with a strap across the instep. They also have relatively high
heels,  to dig into the mud or hillside with.
They were also very comfortable.
I think the uncomfortable part of women's heels is probably not
that they are high but that they are narrows, which makes
the ankles twist resulting in a wobble.

Herman Silbiger

lizv@tektools.UUCP (Liz Vaughan) (04/30/85)

>              Heels certainly make women more vulnerable:  ever try to
>run in them?  Ever try to just *walk* in them?  I have been watching
>women in my company lately as they teeter down the halls and through
>the parking lots on their heels.  I just don't understand how/why they
>do it.  What is at all attractive about wobbling around on "stilts"?

The best explanation I've heard is that they accentuate several secondary
sex characteristics.  Standing in heels (I agree, walking is impossible)
makes you thrust your chest forward, stick your buttocks out, and
emphasizes the curve of your calves and thighs.  Apparently this has an
effect on the male of the species similar to mandrils' bright red rumps,
peacocks' plumage display, etc.

As for why women put up with it on a daily basis, I have no idea.  I mean,
maybe for going out (during mating season :-) or something, but walking on ice?
I wear flats unless I absolutely have to.

Another aspect of the tights vs. nylons issue is cost.  Tights cost about
$8.00 U.S., last 2 years or more, and are machine washable.  Nylons cost
at least $1.50, last less than 5 wearings, and have to be hand washed.
Can you say cost-benefit analysis? Knew you could.

Liz Vaughan

gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) (05/01/85)

>Another aspect of the tights vs. nylons issue is cost.  Tights cost about
>$8.00 U.S., last 2 years or more, and are machine washable.  Nylons cost
>at least $1.50, last less than 5 wearings, and have to be hand washed.
>Can you say cost-benefit analysis? Knew you could.
>
>Liz Vaughan

I wear nylons every day except weekends, and I have ten pairs
that have lasted at least six months.  I wash'em in the washing
machine, too.

Maybe you should try a different brand of nylons?

Gail Bayley Hanrahan
Calma Company, San Diego
{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!gail

mccolm@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/03/85)

 > >Heels certainly make women more vulnerable:  ever try to
 > >run in them?  Ever try to just *walk* in them?
Of course, this is a good example of true nastiness in action.  To wit:
make women vulnerable, so women will FEEL vulnerable, with predictable
psychological and cultural effects.  **flame**
 >The best explanation I've heard is that they accentuate several secondary
 >sex characteristics.  Standing in heels (I agree, walking is impossible)
 >makes you thrust your chest forward, stick your buttocks out, and
 >emphasizes the curve of your calves and thighs.
Ever notice that all the above "desirable" effects actually have undesirable
side-effects on the poor unfortunates who suffer them?  Now, if anyone came
up with a clothing style that accentuated intellect, I would have to choose
between my voyuerism and my respect for others.
 >As for why women put up with it on a daily basis, I have no idea.
Failure to find a workplace-accepted counter-example.  **flame, flame**
 >I mean, maybe for going out (during mating season :-) or something,
 >but walking on ice?
Funny, that.  I can draw comparisons between walking in high heels and
walking on ice.  In an actual and a cultural (and medical) sense.

Oh, yes.  RE: the comment about how this all started.  Keep in mind that the
ground pressure of a 1.5" heel is about the same (per sq. in.) as that of
an elephant.  And it's a lot harder, so it makes more noise.  No personal
experience, but the info. might help.

But on the effects of high heels and the putting of womens' bodies on display
for the enjoyment of men...
   <ignition sequence activated>
   <main engine start>
   <we have ignition>
*********FFFFFFFLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMME****************
   <liftoff, we have liftoff>
you get the idea.
				  -Eric
				  ...!ucla-cs!mccolm
Shade and sweet water...

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (05/08/85)

> >Another aspect of the tights vs. nylons issue is cost.  Tights cost about
> >$8.00 U.S., last 2 years or more, and are machine washable.  Nylons cost
> >at least $1.50, last less than 5 wearings, and have to be hand washed.
> >Can you say cost-benefit analysis? Knew you could.
> >
> >Liz Vaughan
>
> I wear nylons every day except weekends, and I have ten pairs
> that have lasted at least six months.  I wash'em in the washing
> machine, too.
>
> Maybe you should try a different brand of nylons?
>

> Gail Bayley Hanrahan
> Calma Company, San Diego
> {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!calmasd!gail

I have found that buying stockings which can generally be found
for from 1.00 to 1.50 in 2 to 3 pair quantities generally means
that, even with normal wear and tear, I usually never have to
buy hosiery more often then once every 18 months or more. I hand
wash them which does not seem to hurt but my job has many sharp edges
around. Some of the mesh variety last longer if I simply would
be more careful.

Jeanette Zobjeck
ihmp4!ihlpa!zubbie

syn@uo-vax3.UUCP (syn) (05/09/85)

Ah, yes, and having forced the wearer into high heels in which there is
NO way to walk quietly without literally tiptoe-ing, society applies
the double bind as usual from inside the woman's mind--she must also be
quiet, because ladies don't stomp or call attention to themselves.
Arrrgh!

ellen@reed.UUCP (Ellen Eades) (05/09/85)

> > >Another aspect of the tights vs. nylons issue is cost.  Tights cost about
> > >$8.00 U.S., last 2 years or more, and are machine washable.  Nylons cost
> > >at least $1.50, last less than 5 wearings, and have to be hand washed.
> > >Can you say cost-benefit analysis? Knew you could.
> > >
> > >Liz Vaughan
> >
> > I wear nylons every day except weekends, and I have ten pairs
> > that have lasted at least six months.  I wash'em in the washing
> > machine, too.
> >
> > Maybe you should try a different brand of nylons?
> >
> > Gail Bayley Hanrahan
>
> I have found that buying stockings which can generally be found
> for from 1.00 to 1.50 in 2 to 3 pair quantities generally means
> that, even with normal wear and tear, I usually never have to
> buy hosiery more often then once every 18 months or more. I hand
> wash them which does not seem to hurt but my job has many sharp edges
> around. Some of the mesh variety last longer if I simply would
> be more careful.
>
> Jeanette Zobjeck

Well...I guess I'll put my two cents in too.  Maybe Liz and I
are just accident-prone.  Maybe I don't cut my toenails often
enough :-).  But I find it *remarkable* when I have a pair of
nylons that last me more than three wearings.  Average is
probably two before a hole gets poked in the toe or I snag the
back of the thigh on my chair or something.

I have noticed that the way women walk/move affects nylon
durability.  Mom was always careful to smooth her skirt over her
seat before she sat in a chair, thus insulating the nylons.
Also she took shorter steps, which reduces some of the pressure
of toes shoving against stocking-toes.  I tend to walk like a
boy, i.e. long strides and not look where I sit (on chairs,
perched on cement benches, against desk corners).  Maybe this
has something to do with it.  I'd rather wear socks than change
the way I move, though.

I'm going out into the real world next week to seek out summer jobs.
I'll probably wear nylons all of next week and the week after,
then switch back when I get a job.  I might even shave :-).
Perhaps I should perform a field survey...

Ellen Eades

crs@lanl.ARPA (05/13/85)

> Ah, yes, and having forced the wearer into high heels in which there is
> NO way to walk quietly without literally tiptoe-ing, society applies
> the double bind as usual from inside the woman's mind--she must also be
> quiet, because ladies don't stomp or call attention to themselves.
> Arrrgh!

WHOA!!!!!

WHO has forced "the wearer" into high heels?

Are we to believe that normal market forces don't work when it comes
to women's shoes?

I have been following this discussion because I have my *own* low
opinion of the shoe designer's mentality but I have noticed several
postings that implied (or said outright) that the atrocities that are
sold as women's shoes are the result of a *male conspiracy*.  I think
that such an assertion is ludicrous.

If women *truly* didn't want to wear such shoes they wouldn't buy
them and if they didn't buy them the vendors would begin selling
something that they *would* buy.

As to the suggestion that women buy them because they have been
conditioned to do so, think a moment about *who* conditioned them.
Who teaches little girls to dress and what to wear?  I think that you
will find that, for the most part, the way women dress is influenced
by what they were taught (explicitly and implicitly) by their mothers.

A question for those of you who believe that high heeled shoes are the
result of a "male conspiracy":  How do you suggest that it was
implemented?

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (05/17/85)

> If women *truly* didn't want to wear such shoes they wouldn't buy
> them and if they didn't buy them the vendors would begin selling
> something that they *would* buy.

That's nice in theory.  Except that if women didn't buy these shoes,
they'd end up *barefeet*.  It IS VERY VERY (ok, another one..) VERY
hard to find shoes which do not have high heels and are half-way
decent-looking.  I haven't been able to find any yet.

Well, actually, there are some available these days, because of market
pressure from "OOWW! TTOES", "the Organisation Of Women Whose third toe
(from either side!) is 2 inches longer Than The OthErS".
Unfortunately, nature has not allowed me membership in such a
prestigious organisation, so I've been left out in the cold once
again.

What do I do, you ask?   HAHA!  I saw this coming a long time ago, so
when chinese shoes were a big thing, I went around Chinatowns stocking
up, and I now have over 50 pairs in all sorts of colours and textures.
They don't look as dressy as high-heeled shoes that other women wear
and my mother still doesn't think that I look like a real lady, but I
never claimed to be one anyway, so there!
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) (05/18/85)

Re: Body Image, High Heels and All...___________________________________________

> Are we to believe that normal market forces don't work when it comes to
> women's shoes?
>				   * * *
> If women *truly* didn't want to wear such shoes they wouldn't buy them and if
> they didn't buy them the vendors would begin selling something that they
> *would* buy.

	Ah yes, "normal" market forces.  Which happen to include advertising, a
profession dedicated to the mass manipulation of behavior.  A profession which
has an astounding battery of research findings and techniques to accomplish just
that.
	Please don't give us an Economics 101 lecture.  If you can't resist the
urge to enlighten people about how wonderful "normal" market forces are, at
least keep it in net.politics.

> As to the suggestion that women buy [high heels] because they have been con-
> ditioned to do so, think a moment about *who* conditioned them. . . . their
> mothers.

	That's right; blame the mothers.  It's in vogue these days, you know.
(Just sit in on a child abuse court case.  Usually it will be the father who
is providing the abuse; yet the case will almost certainly revolve around how
poorly the mother protected the child!)
		<_Jym_>

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (05/21/85)

> > Ah, yes, and having forced the wearer into high heels in which there is
> > NO way to walk quietly without literally tiptoe-ing, society applies
> > the double bind as usual from inside the woman's mind--she must also be
> > quiet, because ladies don't stomp or call attention to themselves.
> > Arrrgh!
>
> WHOA!!!!!
>
> WHO has forced "the wearer" into high heels?
>
> Are we to believe that normal market forces don't work when it comes
> to women's shoes?
>
> I have been following this discussion because I have my *own* low
> opinion of the shoe designer's mentality but I have noticed several
> postings that implied (or said outright) that the atrocities that are
> sold as women's shoes are the result of a *male conspiracy*.  I think
> that such an assertion is ludicrous.
>
> If women *truly* didn't want to wear such shoes they wouldn't buy
> them and if they didn't buy them the vendors would begin selling
> something that they *would* buy.
>
> As to the suggestion that women buy them because they have been
> conditioned to do so, think a moment about *who* conditioned them.
> Who teaches little girls to dress and what to wear?  I think that you
> will find that, for the most part, the way women dress is influenced
> by what they were taught (explicitly and implicitly) by their mothers.
>
> A question for those of you who believe that high heeled shoes are the
> result of a "male conspiracy":  How do you suggest that it was
> implemented?
>

> Charlie Sorsby
> ...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
> crs@lanl.arpa

Until recently (historicaly) the dominant force of the women's fashion
industry have all been men. Perhaps in the last 15 to 20 years women
designers have been moving up as a force in this industry but I
think if you look at what/where fashion ideas spring you will note that
almost in every case either the designer was a man or a man or men had
the final decision in the finished product.
	Yes, even I feel the biases which I learned from my mother,
women did learn what to where and how from there mothers and so on
back as far as you care to go and so in less enlightened times the
thoughts of men about what was "right" for women worked their way
into society. Today we, as women, are moving farther awayu from those
pressures to fit into what we were taught by our mothers but
we arent there yet and men still controll the industries which
influence the thinking of society about women.
	The market place can only produce pressures as strong as the
majority can make them and at this point women have not begun to bring
those pressures to bear , I feel, primarily because of education.
It takes a bit of doing to wake up to the  WHY of what we do as individuals
and today , unfortunately, there are still not enough educated women
available to make the market place do what we, as a powere group, want
it to do.

Jeanette L. Zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlp1!zubbie

These opinions are my own and worth exactly what you pay for them.
I worked hard for themand they are of value to me.
I will share them only with those people who feel the same.

geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) (05/21/85)

> > If women *truly* didn't want to wear such shoes they wouldn't buy them and if
> > they didn't buy them the vendors would begin selling something that they
> > *would* buy.
>
> 	Ah yes, "normal" market forces.  Which happen to include advertising, a
> profession dedicated to the mass manipulation of behavior.  A profession which
> has an astounding battery of research findings and techniques to accomplish just
> that.
> 	Please don't give us an Economics 101 lecture.  If you can't resist the
> urge to enlighten people about how wonderful "normal" market forces are, at
> least keep it in net.politics.

And your solution?  Deny the advertisers right of free speech?  The women
the right to buy the shoes they want?  I realize that high heels are not in
vogue in this news group, but the people here are hardly representative
of women as whole (I can feel the heat already -- does it help if I add the
obvious corallary that the men in the group are hardly representative of men
as a whole, either?). I have known many women who LIKE high heels (my
sister-in-law is one of them).  Whether this came about because of advertising,
girls wanting to imitate their mothers, or a racial memory back to the
Great Foo Foo doesn't matter.  They like them now (if you think not,
just imagine the hue and cry if they were abruptly removed from the market). A
lot of people don't like them.  They need not wear them (I have a suspicion
I would look kind of funny in them anyway :-)).  If you can convince the
shoe manufacturers they are not popular, they will change (might be hard to
do if they keep selling well, though).  I suppose my point is don't look
around for someone to blame if people don't act the way you think they ought
to.  People are weird enough on their own -- they don't need help :-).
And they will only be convinced by advertising when they WANT to be convinced.

> 		<_Jym_>

> ::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
> ::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
> ::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
> ::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
> :::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

		geoff sherwood