[net.women] generic man

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (05/25/85)

>I was serious.  I really think that the generic term for a person should
>be "man", and that the generic pronouns should be "he", "him" and "his".
>
>And dammit, this is a good idea, a new idea, and a lot more worthwhile than
>What, will it put you professional
>feminists out of business?  Let's hear the yeas and nays.
>
>It just makes too much sense to argue with, doesn't it?
>
>                              Cheryl Stewart, BMOC

No, it doesn't.  See prior posting about inclusive and exclusive terms.
If we had A standing for one type, B for another, and C indicating both,
fine.  But the use of "man" for all doesn't serve this function without
a noun for male men (vs. "woman" for female men) which I think would be
harder to instigate than the singular "the" and "person".

So count this one as a nay.

Adrienne Regard

features@ihuxf.UUCP (M.A. Zeszutko) (05/30/85)

The subject line struck me as funny, so here's a question totally
unrelated to the original articles.

If such a thing as a generic man existed, would he be blank white,
printed with block lettering, and have olive and black stripes?
Just wondering...
--

aMAZon @ AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL; ihnp4!ihuxf!features

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (05/31/85)

>From: features@ihuxf.UUCP (M.A. Zeszutko)
>
>The subject line struck me as funny, so here's a question totally
>unrelated to the original articles.
>
>If such a thing as a generic man existed, would he be blank white,
>printed with block lettering, and have olive and black stripes?
>Just wondering...

Probably. Also, he might be smaller or irregularly shaped and not as
cosmetically apealing as the national brands. (Ever look at generic peas.)

--
Name:		John Ruschmeyer
US Mail:	Monmouth College, W. Long Branch, NJ 07764

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (05/31/85)

> The subject line struck me as funny, so here's a question totally
> unrelated to the original articles.
>
> If such a thing as a generic man existed, would he be blank white,
> printed with block lettering, and have olive and black stripes?
> Just wondering...
> --
>
> aMAZon @ AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL; ihnp4!ihuxf!features

No stripes

Jeanette zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (06/03/85)

>If such a thing as a generic man existed, would he be blank white,
>printed with block lettering, and have olive and black stripes?
>Just wondering...

The stripes would be in a funny thick-and-thin pattern, with some
numbers in a stylized type face with them.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146