[net.women] Let's lock all the discrimination up at night

chabot@miles.DEC (Bih ih bih) (05/31/85)

kontron!cramer  ==  >

Subject: Re: Discrimination
> --- my ancestors, and those of a lot of other people
> in this country, gave lives in the Civil War to end slavery.

Gee, your ancestors were done a big injustice by being told a big lie.  Too
bad this lie got passed along to you.  Saying the Civil War was fought to free
the slaves is something like saying the Great War was fought because the
archduke got shot.

Subject: Re: Re: \"Why not send the men home?\"

> *Some* men don't treat *some* women very well at all.  One of the reasons
> that the label *feminist* leaves a bad taste in my mouth is a tendency
> by some self-proclaimed feminists to lump all men and all women into
> classes, and view rape, spouse abuse, and violence as "class struggle"
> issues.  Each of us is an individual, and deserves to be treated as an
> individual, *not* as a member of a class, sex, or group.

Pretty funny!  Lumping innocents because you think somebody else lumps
innocents!  Go look in the mirror, oh self-proclaimed-lumper-of-feminists!

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/05/85)

> kontron!cramer  ==  >
>
> Subject: Re: Discrimination
> > --- my ancestors, and those of a lot of other people
> > in this country, gave lives in the Civil War to end slavery.
>
> Gee, your ancestors were done a big injustice by being told a big lie.  Too
> bad this lie got passed along to you.  Saying the Civil War was fought to free
> the slaves is something like saying the Great War was fought because the
> archduke got shot.

I hope this isn't a disappointment, but a lot of people fought in the Civil
War because they considered slavery an evil worth eradicating.  That doesn't
mean there were no other reasons for the war; it doesn't mean everyone who
fought in the Civil War did so to abolish slavery --- but a lot of white
males gave their lives to end slavery.

> Subject: Re: Re: \"Why not send the men home?\"
>
> > *Some* men don't treat *some* women very well at all.  One of the reasons
> > that the label *feminist* leaves a bad taste in my mouth is a tendency
> > by some self-proclaimed feminists to lump all men and all women into
> > classes, and view rape, spouse abuse, and violence as "class struggle"
> > issues.  Each of us is an individual, and deserves to be treated as an
> > individual, *not* as a member of a class, sex, or group.
>
> Pretty funny!  Lumping innocents because you think somebody else lumps
> innocents!  Go look in the mirror, oh self-proclaimed-lumper-of-feminists!
>
> L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa

Actually *read* what I wrote, and you'll see (above), that I said "some
self-proclaimed feminists" --- I didn't lump all feminists together because
of the actions of some.  The *label* "feminist" disturbs me (as do a lot
of labels), because they imply an acceptance of group thinking; if someone
calls themselves a "feminist", why first reaction is bristle, but I don't
let it prevent me from listening to what they have to say, and evaluating
that person as a person.