[net.women] Evidence?

brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy) (05/30/85)

>Feminists repeatedly insist that the choice of clothing has *nothing*
>to do with the likelihood of being raped.  I haven't been shown much in
>the way of evidence...
>	David Canzi

I think you have the sense of proof backwards.  I mean, nobody has proved
that wearing red *doesn't* incite rape.  Does this mean I should assume it
does?

Actually, considering that most rapists don't rape total strangers (usually
someone they've seen before/know/met/etc) and that rape victims are
anywhere from 1 to 99 years old, "provocative-ness" seems to have very
little to do with it.

Of course, proof that it *does* is welcome, but I will minimize my
assumptions, thank you.

Merlyn Leroy
Men could fly before women could vote.

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (06/01/85)

In article <630@digi-g.UUCP> brian@digi-g.UUCP (brian) writes:
>>Feminists repeatedly insist that the choice of clothing has *nothing*
>>to do with the likelihood of being raped.  I haven't been shown much in
>>the way of evidence...
>>	David Canzi
>
>I think you have the sense of proof backwards.  I mean, nobody has proved
>that wearing red *doesn't* incite rape.  Does this mean I should assume it
>does?

You are missing my point, or perhaps ignoring it.  I have not been
saying that the choice of clothing affects the likelihood of rape.

What I have been saying is that the feminist side appear to be
*certain* that clothing has *no* *effect* on the likelihood of rape,
yet they appear to have no evidence sufficient to back up such
certainty.

When feminists are asked how they know, they usually make some reply
about the motives of rapists in using that statement, or they question
the motives and morality of the questioner.  On the occasions that I've
actually seen evidence given, it has been inadequate evidence.

I see certainty of belief, combined with insufficient evidence, and a
strong motive for believing.  Probable explanation: wishful thinking.

>Actually, considering that most rapists don't rape total strangers (usually
>someone they've seen before/know/met/etc) and that rape victims are
>anywhere from 1 to 99 years old, "provocative-ness" seems to have very
>little to do with it.

To say that a young woman in a miniskirt is more likely to be raped
than a 90 year old woman wearing a burlap sack does not imply that the
young woman will be raped, or that the old woman won't.  Likelihood is
a statistical concept, and can't be disproven with a handful of
counterexamples.  It can only be disproven by statistical methods.

A similar line of faulty reasoning would be to point out that your
uncle Harry chain-smoked from the age of 15 and lived to be 105,
therefore smoking is harmless.

>Of course, proof that it *does* is welcome, but I will minimize my
>assumptions, thank you.

In answer to the question "Does the choice of clothing affect the
likelihood of rape", I suspect that you would answer "no".  This is an
assumption.  Saying "I don't know" would involve one less assumption.
--
	David Canzi

A dollar is better than nothing.
Nothing is better than the love of God.
Therefore, a dollar is better than the love of God.

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/06/85)

> What I have been saying is that the feminist side appear to be
> *certain* that clothing has *no* *effect* on the likelihood of rape,
> yet they appear to have no evidence sufficient to back up such
> certainty.
>
> When feminists are asked how they know, they usually make some reply
> about the motives of rapists in using that statement, or they question
> the motives and morality of the questioner.  On the occasions that I've
> actually seen evidence given, it has been inadequate evidence.
>
> --
> 	David Canzi

There is no real argument that choice of clothing may possibly contribute
to inciting a rape the argument is that it should not matter what anyone
wears because there is no train of logic which can be followed which
can show that rape was either necessary.

In other words my right to dress as I feel and to enjoy my life as I
see fit is no writ to anyone to rape me and I refuse to sit back
and let anyone from someone on this net to a judge in a coutroom
validate a rape as inevitable because of the manner of dress of the
victim,
The motives of the rapist and his appolgists are quite obvious. If
sex is allowed as a reason for rape AND if manner or style of dress
can be shown to  arouse sexual drives well then it is obvious that

	A) The woman was  **ASKING FOR IT **

	B) The poor guy just couldn't help himself because the
		woman was dressed in a manner which aroused him
		to a point beyond hid rational ability to control
		himself.

	C) Since the poor guy is obviously not mentally stable
		because he cant control himself we should feel
		compassion for him and at worst lock him in a
		funny farm for life but never **NEVER** be willing
		to admit that rape is a capital crime for which
		even the death penealty is too soft.

I strongly support making rape punishable by :

	1st offense : life imprisonment

	2nd offense : death preferably by "cruel and unusual means"

jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie

all opinions expressed here belong to me!
entertain them yourself at your own risk!