[net.women] ..explicit text.. ; rape worse than murder?

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (05/28/85)

In article <560@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) writes:

>2 out of 2 women that I care about have found it pretty damn hard to
>recover from rape, too.  Me, I've never been raped.  I don't think I
>*really* know what it means.  But I know that if I'm ever threatened
>with rape I'll fight so hard they'll have to kill me before they can
>rape me.  'Cause when I see the ongoing, apparently irreparable damage
>those bastards inflict, I actually believe I'd rather be murdered than
>raped.  I disagree with you - I think rape is worse than murder.  And
>I'd like to see the bastards die - real slowly.  Whether we *should*
>kill 'em is up in the air.  But I'd sure like to.

Agreed that there are people who never "recover" from rape, but then there
are some who do survive it without serious damage (several women I know,
e.g.).  On the other hand, *nobody* survives murder.

--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (05/30/85)

In article <522@usl.UUCP> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:
>In article <560@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) writes:
>>
>> . . .   I disagree with you - I think rape is worse than murder. . .
>
>Agreed that there are people who never "recover" from rape, but then there
>are some who do survive it without serious damage (several women I know,
>e.g.).  On the other hand, *nobody* survives murder.
>
>--
>				    Joe Arceneaux

Admittedly being murdered is not very nice and can really ruin things,
but at least it is over and done with.  With rape, victims have to
live with the fact of it and the memory of it for the rest of their
lives.  Some may be able to "recover" from it better than others, but
the knowledge of what happened and the memory of it remains as a scar
on the psyche.

For the lucky ones who are able to return to "normal" (can they ever?),
there is still a period of time (weeks, months, years?) during which they
have too come to grips with the fact that another human being(*) could have
violated them so.  During this time of readjustment, can you imagine
the feelings that are going on inside them?  The distrust of others,
the fear of their attacker coming back, nightmares, self-guilt ("What
was there about me that made my attacker do that?"), a loathing of
the mere touch of someone else, etc?  (I'm sure I can't.)  And these
are the lucky ones who are able to put their experience behind them
somewhat.  What about the others to whom such feelings and memories
are a daily reality?

With murder victims, they do suffer, but once the crime is over that's
it -- their suffering is done (but not that of their families [that's
another can of worms, though]).

I think that this definitely shows that rape is a worse crime than
murder.

(*)--Is it being too fair to the rapist/attacker to consider them human?

--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

"How do you hurt a <person> who's lost everything?  Give <them> back
 something that's broken." -- Thomas Covenant

sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) (06/03/85)

> In article <522@usl.UUCP> jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) writes:
> >In article <560@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) writes:
> >>
> >> . . .   I disagree with you - I think rape is worse than murder. . .
> >
> >Agreed that there are people who never "recover" from rape, but then there
> >are some who do survive it without serious damage (several women I know,
> >e.g.).  On the other hand, *nobody* survives murder.
> >
> >--
> >				    Joe Arceneaux
>
> Admittedly being murdered is not very nice and can really ruin things,
> but at least it is over and done with.  With rape, victims have to
> live with the fact of it and the memory of it for the rest of their
> lives.  Some may be able to "recover" from it better than others, but
> the knowledge of what happened and the memory of it remains as a scar
> on the psyche.
>
> For the lucky ones who are able to return to "normal" (can they ever?),
> there is still a period of time (weeks, months, years?) during which they
> have too come to grips with the fact that another human being(*) could have
> violated them so.  During this time of readjustment, can you imagine
> the feelings that are going on inside them?  The distrust of others,
> the fear of their attacker coming back, nightmares, self-guilt ("What
> was there about me that made my attacker do that?"), a loathing of
> the mere touch of someone else, etc?  (I'm sure I can't.)  And these
> are the lucky ones who are able to put their experience behind them
> somewhat.  What about the others to whom such feelings and memories
> are a daily reality?
>
> With murder victims, they do suffer, but once the crime is over that's
> it -- their suffering is done (but not that of their families [that's
> another can of worms, though]).
>
> I think that this definitely shows that rape is a worse crime than
> murder.
>

> (*)--Is it being too fair to the rapist/attacker to consider them human?
>

> --
> Geoff Loker
> Department of Computer Science
> University of Toronto
> Toronto, ON
> M5S 1A4

NOW HOOOOOOLD ON THAR!!!

All of us suffer some heavy-duty things at some time in our lives.  It's too
bad, but that's what living's all about!  If you'd rather die than suffer than
you'd better end it all right here and now because I guarantee you will
suffer.  Just because life's tough is no reason to prefer not living.  I've
had my share of tough times.  I've been raped TWICE (see previous posting).
I'm glad as hell that I'm still around to show other victims that you don't
have to live the rest of your life as a victim.  Life does go on.  THANK GOD!

                                        Sarah E. Dugan
                                        (no clever lines)
--
                                        Sarah E. Dugan
                                        (no clever lines)

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (06/05/85)

So now we're back to rape being a "fate worse than death."  Phooey!

Surely a rape victim who felt that way would be able to manage to get
the rapist to be "kindly" and kill himer.  Or do a Victorian number
and kill herself.  The fact that the rape victim chooses to live is
pretty good evidence that she at least prefers life after rape.

Or perhaps we should set up a new form of euthanasia proceeding.  Force
the poor victim to live long enough to determine if the rapist can be
prosecuted.  Then after the judge's ruling, kill the victim!
For her own good!?

What incredibly warped reasoning.

It seems pretty obvious to me that rape may be more painful (emotionally
and/or physically) than dying.  But living-after-rape is definitely
preferable to being-dead-after-dying.  Claiming that any injury is worse
than death opens the door to all sorts of nonsense (see above).

--Lee Gold

jeff@rtech.UUCP (Jeff Lichtman) (06/05/85)

> >> . . .   I disagree with you - I think rape is worse than murder. . .
> >
> >Agreed that there are people who never "recover" from rape, but then there
> >are some who do survive it without serious damage (several women I know,
> >e.g.).  On the other hand, *nobody* survives murder.
> >--
> >				    Joe Arceneaux
>
> Admittedly being murdered is not very nice and can really ruin things,
> but at least it is over and done with.  With rape, victims have to
> live with the fact of it and the memory of it for the rest of their
> lives.
> For the lucky ones who are able to return to "normal" (can they ever?),
> there is still a period of time (weeks, months, years?) during which they
> have too come to grips with the fact that another human being(*) could have
> violated them so.  During this time of readjustment, can you imagine
> the feelings that are going on inside them?
> With murder victims, they do suffer, but once the crime is over that's
> it -- their suffering is done (but not that of their families [that's
> another can of worms, though]).
>
> I think that this definitely shows that rape is a worse crime than
> murder.
>
> Geoff Loker

Geoff Loker's reasoning really, really bothers me.  Right now, there are people
all over the world who are struggling against almost impossible odds to stay
alive, struggling against starvation, war, disease, and persecution, at the
cost of their own intense suffering.  These people could simply kill themselves
to end their suffering.  Why don't they?

Maybe some of these people feel that suicide is a mortal sin, which would cause
them to go to Hell and receive more suffering than they are currently
undergoing, but I don't think that's the real answer.  Survival is one of the
strongest instincts.  It is so strong that most people would endure just about
anything in order to stay alive.

I believe that Mr Loker's argument carries the following message to women who
have been raped and who now feel that their lives may not be worth living:

	"The worst thing that can ever happen to you has happened.  It is worse
	 than being killed.  You may never recover.  It is likely that you will
	 live the rest of your life with extreme self-loathing and fear at
	 every moment."

The underlying message is that, if you have been raped, then the rest of your
life will be useless to you.  I realize that this is not what Mr. Loker
intended, but I feel very strongly that this is the effect of his philosophy.
I think this comes from an overzealous attempt to make some men realize the
seriousness of rape.

Homocide is the only crime from which it is impossible to recover.  It may be
extremely difficult to recover from rape, but it is not impossible.  I think
that any woman who has been raped and is feeling suicidal, deathly afraid, or
worthless, should be encouraged in every way possible to overcome the problems
that have been imposed on her.  I feel that attitudes like Geoff Loker's are
counter-productive.

What bothers me most about Mr. Loker's argument is that it seems derived from
political expediency.  The attitude seems to be that, to counteract arguments
that belittle the seriousness of rape, one must claim that rape is absolutely
the worst thing that can happen to a woman, even worse than murder.  The
implications of such a belief are ignored, because the important thing is to
win the argument.

P.S. To the women who have said that you would fight to the death rather than
submit to rape: I am not arguing against you.  I have said before in this
newsgroup that I feel women should defend themselves in every way possible
against violent attack.  I feel that defending yourself in this way is the
opposite of folding up and dying, because it follows the instinct to keep
yourself alive and intact.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak

{amdahl, sun}!rtech!jeff
{ucbvax, decvax}!mtxinu!rtech!jeff

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) (06/07/85)

From: barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold), Message-ID: <2047@sdcrdcf.UUCP>:
>So now we're back to rape being a "fate worse than death."  Phooey!
>
>Surely a rape victim who felt that way would be able to manage to get
>the rapist to be "kindly" and kill himer.  Or do a Victorian number
>and kill herself.  The fact that the rape victim chooses to live is
>pretty good evidence that she at least prefers life after rape.
>
>Or perhaps we should set up a new form of euthanasia proceeding.  Force
>the poor victim to live long enough to determine if the rapist can be
>prosecuted.  Then after the judge's ruling, kill the victim!
>For her own good!?
>
>What incredibly warped reasoning.
>[...]
>--Lee Gold

It is indeed warped reasoning.  Please note that you're the only
one who proposed it.

--

--JB                                          Life is just a bowl.

robertp@weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (06/07/85)

>In article <560@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP> beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Beth Christy) writes:
>
> . . .   I disagree with you - I think rape is worse than murder. . .

So, should thoughtful rapists commit the lesser crime, and murder
women instead?

Should they demonstrate compassion by murdering their victims AFTER raping
them?

Should the government encourage victims to commit suicide and save
themselves agony?

Should the penalties for rape be so much stronger than the penalties for
murder that rapists will feel FORCED to muder their victims?

The line "fate worse than death" should be left for melodramas -- when
people start taking it seriously the effects are very, very nasty.

--
		-- Robert Plamondon
		   {ucbvax!dual!turtlevax,ihnp4!resonex}!weitek!robertp

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (06/07/85)

In article <554@ihlpg.UUCP> sed408@ihlpg.UUCP (s. dugan) writes:

>> >Agreed that there are people who never "recover" from rape, but then there
>> >are some who do survive it without serious damage (several women I know,
>> >e.g.).  On the other hand, *nobody* survives murder.
>> >
>> >--
>> >				    Joe Arceneaux
>>
>>  . . . various rumblings about suffering, etc. . . .
>>
>> I think that this definitely shows that rape is a worse crime than
>> murder.

(Did I really say that?)

>> --
>> Geoff Loker
>>

>NOW HOOOOOOLD ON THAR!!!
>
>All of us suffer some heavy-duty things at some time in our lives.  It's too
>bad, but that's what living's all about!  If you'd rather die than suffer than
>you'd better end it all right here and now because I guarantee you will
>suffer.  Just because life's tough is no reason to prefer not living.  I've
>had my share of tough times.  I've been raped TWICE (see previous posting).
>I'm glad as hell that I'm still around to show other victims that you don't
>have to live the rest of your life as a victim.  Life does go on.  THANK GOD!
>

>                                        Sarah E. Dugan
>                                        (no clever lines)

My apologies, Sarah.  I never meant to come out sounding like I was an
advocate for death.  What I was trying to say was that rape is as
serious a crime as murder, and that in some cases it is worse in that
its victim can be left in a "living death".  As you pointed out, it
is possible to recover from rape (thank God), but on the other hand
there are some who don't.  In those cases **especially**, I think that
rape should be treated as a more serious crime than murder.

In my previous posting, I was trying to get across the idea of the
horribleness of rape without having it seem as if I was saying that
someone would be better off dead.  I wanted to say that rape took
something precious from a victim and forced that person to live with
the loss of it for the rest of their lives, but by the way I phrased
it, it could have been taken as if I thought that a rape victim would
be better off dead (as a mercy?) (I DO NOT feel this way.)  I went for a
quick and dirty ending which said something I hadn't meant to say.
Sorry.

Please note:  I am NOT saying that I don't prefer life.  I am NOT saying
that rape victims should give up on life, or that they would be better
off dead.  I certainly DO NOT want to come down on any rape victims.
I am sorry, once again, for not having made my ideas clearer.

--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science
University of Toronto
Toronto, ON
M5S 1A4

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

chrisa@azure.UUCP (Chris Andersen) (06/09/85)

Lee Gold:
> Surely a rape victim who felt that way would be able to manage to get
> the rapist to be "kindly" and kill himer.  Or do a Victorian number
> and kill herself.  The fact that the rape victim chooses to live is
> pretty good evidence that she at least prefers life after rape.

	Maybe she doesn't choose to live or not to live.  Maybe she's to
screwed up in the head afterward to know what she should do.

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/11/85)

> From: barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold), Message-ID: <2047@sdcrdcf.UUCP>:
> >So now we're back to rape being a "fate worse than death."  Phooey!
> >
> >Surely a rape victim who felt that way would be able to manage to get
> >the rapist to be "kindly" and kill himer.  Or do a Victorian number
> >and kill herself.  The fact that the rape victim chooses to live is
> >pretty good evidence that she at least prefers life after rape.
> >
> >Or perhaps we should set up a new form of euthanasia proceeding.  Force
> >the poor victim to live long enough to determine if the rapist can be
> >prosecuted.  Then after the judge's ruling, kill the victim!
> >For her own good!?
> >
> >What incredibly warped reasoning.
> >[...]
> >--Lee Gold
>
> It is indeed warped reasoning.  Please note that you're the only
> one who proposed it.
>
> --
>
> --JB                                          Life is just a bowl.

Just because it doesnot make front page headlines does not mean that
there are not many women who do just that.
They may not go out and blow themselves away but the end result is just as fatal

jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie