[net.women] Discrimination and Affirmative Action Attn Beth

kelso@umcp-cs.UUCP (Stephen Kelley) (06/07/85)

C'mon Beth, K.A.Jabbar vs. *who* pray tell? *SOME* type of
affirmative action is needed but *short* people can't make
it in the NBA unless they could jump 5'(;-)!  K.A. can't
compete w/ M.L. Retton at gymnastics (or any of her also
rans either). I'd probably rather have their (NBA, WBA, DOD(
Heh, Heh)) salaries/budgets cut and create special interest
groups (bad choice of words) rather try to homogenize
everything. Separate but *EQUAL* doesn't have to imply
discrimination - just the *EQUAL* part has to be emphasized.
Eg. coed showers for most people would be too distracting.

Just a few nore $.01's

beth@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (06/11/85)

>[From: kelso@umcp-cs.UUCP (Stephen Kelley), Message-ID: <20@umcp-cs.UUCP>]
>C'mon Beth, K.A.Jabbar vs. *who* pray tell?

R. Parrish.

>*SOME* type of
>affirmative action is needed but *short* people can't make
>it in the NBA unless they could jump 5'(;-)!  K.A. can't
>compete w/ M.L. Retton at gymnastics (or any of her also
>rans either). I'd probably rather have their (NBA, WBA, DOD(
>Heh, Heh)) salaries/budgets cut and create special interest
>groups (bad choice of words) rather try to homogenize
>everything. Separate but *EQUAL* doesn't have to imply
>discrimination - just the *EQUAL* part has to be emphasized.

So where did I say anything about "homogenizing"?  All I want is *EQUAL*.  I
want professional sports to offer women the same opportunity and financial
support that men are offered.  Having separate leagues for women basketball/
football/baseball/...  players, similar to what exists for tennis and golf
(except I want *EQUAL* opportunity and financial support), is fine by me.
But practically *ALL* professional sports as they currently exist are among
the most blatant discriminators I can think of.

--

--JB                                          Life is just a bowl.