[net.women] The \"Women want light beer\" fallacy

clayton@satan.DEC (06/07/85)

[guzzle, slurp, ahhhh]

>           The American brewing industry seems very taken with the
>idea that women like very light beer and so they can use this as an excuse
>to brew ever-thinner/lighter/weaker-tasting (read: CHEAPER) beers.

>Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086

But there may be *some* basis for their assumption.  Of the women that I
know who drink beer (or drink at all) a majority of them do prefer the lighter
beers.  I think this is mainly do to the FEWER CALORIES and that it is less
filling (women generally having a smaller appetite), rather than flavor or
character of the beer.  Seems to me though, if you don't drink it because you
like the taste of it, why drink it at all?

It may be a stereotype that you envision as being based on the women being
being the weaker sex stereotype, while I see it as a sterotype based on the
women have to stay slim and keep calories down image.

Personally, I prefer Canadian beers because most of them have much more body
and flavor.  Occasionaly I will have a Michelob light before a meal because
I do find it less filling, and the least watered down (also the least 'light').
I often find that when I am at a party where there are several kinds available
I'm usually offered a Miller, or a light beer of some sort, and will suprise
them by requesting something 'stronger' (Moosehead, Labatt's, Brador,...).
It's not a stereotype that is limited to the breweries advertising departments.
They just play on it because 1. it probably works to push the fewer calories
aspect and 2. it increases their profit margin because, as you said, they
are making cheaper beers.

Elizabeth Clayton    decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-satan!clayton

crs@lanl.ARPA (06/11/85)

> Occasionaly I will have a Michelob light before a meal because
> I do find it less filling,...

Isn't this psychological?  I can't understand how beer that occupied
twelve ounces by volume in the can or bottle can occupy any *less*
volume in one's stomach.  I can understand how something can be less
appetite destructive but not less filling given a fixed volume.

> They just play on it because 1. it probably works to push the fewer calories
> aspect ...

Two things:

1.  If light beer produces less reduction of appetite than regular
beer (for what ever reason) isn't it counter productive from the
calory reduction view point?  If the beer doesn't "fill you up" as
much, you have more room for food and, hence, consume more calories
than you saved by drinking light beer.

2.  I don't drink light beer so I'm not knowledgable about the caloric
difference between light and regular beer but I can't imagine that the
actual difference can really be great.  With that in mind, it occurs
to me that anyone who *truly* needs the lower calory beer probably is
in more danger from excessive drinking than from too many calories.

Can anyone enlighten me about any of this?

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

--
Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs

geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) (06/12/85)

In article <2548@decwrl.UUCP> clayton@satan.DEC writes:
>But there may be *some* basis for their assumption.  Of the women that I
>know who drink beer (or drink at all) a majority of them do prefer the lighter
>beers.  I think this is mainly do to the FEWER CALORIES and that it is less
>filling (women generally having a smaller appetite), rather than flavor or
>character of the beer.  Seems to me though, if you don't drink it because you
>like the taste of it, why drink it at all?
>
>Elizabeth Clayton    decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-satan!clayton

As someone who as brewed quite a variety of beers (in my little 5-gal
fermenter -- some of the best beer I have ever had, by the way) I wonder
about the fewer calories in light beers.  I am speaking of light vs dark
here not the 'light beers' that are on the market (bud light, miller light,
and so forth).  The difference between the light and dark is strictly due
to the degree that the malt is toasted.  Toast it a little, you have a
light beer.  Toast it more you have an amber beer.  Damn near burn it and
you have a dark beer.  My light and amber beers always had the same amount
of corn sugar and malt as my dark beers.  Of course, by varying the ingredients
you can make the calorie differential anything you want (I think most dark
beers are heavier due to more malt, hence more calories).

Just tossin' a little info about beer brewing in (home brewing forever!).

	geoff sherwood

(by the way, I much prefer the dark beers -- especially with German
halltauer (I know I spelled that wrong) hops and British Munton&Fison Malt.
Yum.)

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (06/12/85)

In article <27108@lanl.ARPA> crs@lanl.ARPA writes:
>> Occasionaly I will have a Michelob light before a meal because
>> I do find it less filling,...
>
>Isn't this psychological?  I can't understand how beer that occupied
>twelve ounces by volume in the can or bottle can occupy any *less*
>volume in one's stomach.

Light beer may be less carbonated than "regular" (heavy? (-: )  beer.  This
would make it less filling.

>2.  I don't drink light beer so I'm not knowledgable about the caloric
>difference between light and regular beer but I can't imagine that the
>actual difference can really be great.

The difference in some beers is reputedly about 50% -- a savings  of  about
70  calories per 12 oz. can.  The calorie reduction is achieved by reducing
the alcohol content.  I don't know  how  this  works  out  in  states  like
California  where  all  beer is <= 3.2% alcohol (anything more alcoholic is
malt liquor, ale, or stout).
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                          "How goes the rat race?"
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                 "The rats are winning."
Santa Monica, CA  90405                               -- Paul Lynde
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe