[net.women] Net.sexism

inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) (01/20/84)

! <-- wombat confuser

Sorry, Sophie I think your proposals are a bit lop-sided. Net.women seems
to be doing ok as a place to discuss issues of interest to women, and
net.women.only seems to tell me, at least, that they don't want me there
for some odd reason. Maybe they talk about the rising costs of panty-hose
or something, I don't know; I don't really care. As a male, I probably
would not subscribe to net.men. It is my opinion that men don't feel the
same need to have their own private computer network to discuss
'biological issues' (new jock-strap designs? prophylactic installation
techniques?).

Just as is the case with net.columbia (which is really about the Shuttle,
regardless of which craft is currently operational, but which retains the
name as an honorific to the first shuttle), so net.women may actually be
the forum to discuss humanism, but simply retains the name 'women' as a
paean to the original ideas surrounding its creation. I vote no against
net.men.

--

Gary Benson
John Fluke Mfg. Co.

features@ihuxf.UUCP (M.A. Zeszutko) (06/12/85)

> In article <258@ihlpa.UUCP> zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) writes:
> >> I think it is due to testosterone poisonning myself.  The only reason
> >> you disgusting people don't sit down when you're doing your business
> >> is that you somehow think it is more manly to do it standing up.
> >> --
> >> Sophie Quigley
> >
> >Frankly I think it stems from fear of deflating ther male ego because
> >they would find out the silly *thing* really wont dip into the water.
> >
> >Jeanette L. Zobjeck
>
> It's a dick, Jeanette, a cock, penis, etc., not a *thing*.  I can understand
> that you've probably never seen one, you frigid bitch, but I'm certain you
> must have read about it.  You and Sophie ought to get together some night
> for a good squat and talk all about the male anatomy.
>
> And, hey, how about this:  Six guys can all use the same toilet at the same
> time.  I'd like to see six girls do that:  the girl on the bottom sure would
> have sticky thighs, eh?  And a real man can stir his drink with his dick, and
> caulk windows and bathroom tiles with it.  What the hell can you do with your
> cooze, slut?  Pick up quarters?  The hard way?
>
>     Scott R. Turner
>     ARPA:  (now) srt@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA  (soon) srt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU
>     UUCP:  ...!{cepu,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!srt
>     SPUDNET: ...eye%srt@russet.spud

If the women who attend UCLA get this kind of verbal abuse from
this {fill in the blank}, is it any wonder that women don't make
up 51% of engineering students?  This kind of name-calling, while
infantile, is tolerable in net.flame, but entirely out of place
in net.women.
--

aMAZon @ AT&T Bell Labs, Naperville, IL; ihnp4!ihuxf!features