[net.women] ``they'' vs *US*

edhall@randvax.UUCP (Ed Hall) (05/08/85)

> I beg to disagree.  "Fire fighter", "letter carrier" and "police officer"
> were invented later and there are plenty who say "Yuck, fire fighter is
> sloppy and letter carrier is ambiguous."  Besides, what about "chairman"?
> There are plenty of words ending in "man" that have no good equivalent.
> Such as "human".  (Oh, NOW I'm going to get flamed!  :-) )
>
> 	marie desjardins

Yer right!  As has been mentioned several times before in this group,
``human'' does *not* derive from ``man'' (although ``woman'' does :-) ).
It comes from the Latin ``humanus'', the same as our word ``humane''.

``Man'' is Anglo-Saxon in origin.  The syllable ``man'' in ``human''
has no connection to it.

I've been following this discussion through four incarnations, now
(since the first time I saw it on the net in 1983).  I see the same
straw men, the same folk etymologies, the ``grammarians'' who've never
had a course in formal grammar since junior high school; all the
childishness, self-rightiousness and downright thick-headedness that
has been so brilliantly displayed in the past is still here.

No, I'm not picking on you in particular, Marie.  It's just that the
major points here have all been made: that language bears sexism, that
language has a powerful affect on people's thinking and on society,
that language is constantly undergoing change, and that it behooves us
to try to channel that change in a direction that reduces sexual
discrimination.  Few people have been arguing these points--instead
they've been getting off into picayune discussions over individual
words, wailing ``Yes, but *here's* a change that's *wrong* (or sounds
*awful*)!'' (To which my answer is, ``Fine, suggest something better.'')

And now that we've tied up all our energy in useless discussions on
words, there are a couple of people who are making the outrageous and
dangerous claims that:
  1. White men are being discriminated against, and this deserves at
     least as much attention as discrimination against women.
  2. It is wrong for women to be proud when they manage to overcome
     discrimination.
  3. Wearing ``provocative'' clothing is somehow responsible for
     (at least some) rape.

Except for one or two mild postings, the net is *silent* in response
to these and other such claims!  Instead, we'll generate scores of
postings on fireman vs. firefighter.

Come on, people:  WAKE UP!

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

mccolm@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/10/85)

>``human'' does *not* derive from ``man'' (although ``woman'' does :-) ).

I heard an interesting interpretation of the word "woman" by a woman
not long ago.  She said it meant "something more than just a man."

A few refutations:

>And now that we've tied up all our energy in useless discussions on
>words, there are a couple of people who are making the outrageous and
>dangerous claims that:
>  1. White men are being discriminated against, and this deserves at
>     least as much attention as discrimination against women.

I'm a white man, and I'm not being discriminated against, so I see no
reason to believe that discrimination against WASP males is anywhere as
serious as discrimination against women.

>  2. It is wrong for women to be proud when they manage to overcome
>     discrimination.

Question:  if individuals, by their essentially small individual actions,
overcome some obstacle that obstructs them as a group, do the individuals
have cause to feel proud of themselves as members of that group?
I think they do.

>  3. Wearing ``provocative'' clothing is somehow responsible for
>     (at least some) rape.

I object to the word "provocative" as applied to womens' clothing,
because "provocative" implies a tendency to provoke, and in clothing,
which is a matter of choice, this implies a desire to provoke.  Such
convolutions of language may seem silly, but given that the rapist is
seen by many as the victim of a woman's charms, I submit that the
line of reasoning is dangerous.

Use the word "attractive" instead, if you wish to show intent.

>		-Ed Hall
>		decvax!randvax!edhall

Thanks, Ed, for bringing these things up.
--fini--
Eric McColm
UCLA (oo' - kluh) Funny Farm for the Criminally Harmless
UUCP:  ...!{ucbvax,ihnp4,cepu,sdcrdcf,trwspp}!ucla-cs!mccolm

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (05/12/85)

> And now that we've tied up all our energy in useless discussions on
> words, there are a couple of people who are making the outrageous and
> dangerous claims that:
>   1. White men are being discriminated against, and this deserves at
>      least as much attention as discrimination against women.

I have seen explicit, blatant, and intentional discrimination against
people based on their being male.  You may wish to argue that this is
rare --- I have seen it.  In fact, when I was in high school, attempting
to find a way to afford to go to college, there were scholarships
administered by a public high school that explicitly stated that race,
ethnic origin, and sex were relevant criteria.

If the government is going to prohibit discrimination based on race,
sex, creed, and half a dozen other bases, it should be consistent and
prohibit it against white males as well.  If the objection to discrimination
is that it is unfair to individuals, then the discrimination that is
inflicted on white males is just as immoral as when it is inflicted on
anyone else.

>   2. It is wrong for women to be proud when they manage to overcome
>      discrimination.

No argument from me.

>   3. Wearing ``provocative'' clothing is somehow responsible for
>      (at least some) rape.

Not responsible; the rapist is responsible.  There may be some
individual rapists who may find sexually provocative clothing an
encouragement.  That doesn't make it "OK" for them do such a thing;
it is something to think about, in the same way that no rational
person walks down a dark alley late at night alone, and unarmed.

geoff@burl.UUCP (geoff) (05/13/85)

> And now that we've tied up all our energy in useless discussions on
> words, there are a couple of people who are making the outrageous and
> dangerous claims that:
>   1. White men are being discriminated against, and this deserves at
>      least as much attention as discrimination against women.
>   2. It is wrong for women to be proud when they manage to overcome
>      discrimination.
>   3. Wearing ``provocative'' clothing is somehow responsible for
>      (at least some) rape.
>
> Come on, people:  WAKE UP!
>
> 		-Ed Hall
> 		decvax!randvax!edhall

As a matter of fact, I would make two of those claims (although the second is
qualified a bit).
	1) discrimination is discrimination.  For any given individual, all
	    that matters is whether he or she is discriminated against.  I
	    oppose affirmative action on exactly those grounds.  Take an
	    especially close look at minorities when hiring/promoting -- make
	    sure they are not being overlooked, discriminated against, etc.--
	    but choose the candidate most qualified.  Only that is fair for
	    the individuals involved (and best for the business as well).
	2) no particular argument, although I think you should be proud of what
		you as a person did, rather than how you fit in some arbitrary
		subclass of humanity.  I really could care less about what
		white men have done in the past.  I accept no pride for their
		accomplishments -- nor blame for their wrongdoing.  I am
		responsible for what I have done.  (This is not 100% true --
		I feel a bit of pride when USA athletes do well in some
		meet or my football team wins, so perhaps this could be
		extended {it doesn't matter a bit the color or sex of the
		individual who did well, though; as a Miami Dolphin fan
		I cheered the efforts of Mark Clayton and Mark Duper (who are
		black) as much as those of Dan Marino (who is white)}).
	3) provocative clothing probably is a contributing factor to rape.  I
	    don't have any facts to back it up, it is just a gut feeling.  It
	    certainly does not make the woman 'responsible' for the rape in
	    any way, and it certainly does not justify the rapist at all, but
	    there probably is a correlation.  Women should not wear provacative
	    clothing in places where the probability of rape is higher unless
	    they are willing to risk it.  I wish this were not so, but I am not
	    real fond of gravity, either.  It still influences my actions.
	    Rape happens.  This is a given.  Maybe society will change to lesson
	    this threat and maybe it won't.  I am not enough of an egotist to
	    believe that I have the answers to these problems (or that everyone
	    would listen to be if I did).  Women are affected much more by
	    this threat than men.  This is also a given.  Hence to avoid rape
	    a given individual can be most effective by taking precautions.
	    Rape will still happen in the world, and that is regrettable, but
	    you can at least try to make sure that it doesn't happen to YOU.

	    geoff sherwood

	Discussion appreciated.
	Flame deplored (we are adults, aren't we?).

mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) (05/14/85)

> And now that we've tied up all our energy in useless discussions on
> words, there are a couple of people who are making the outrageous and
> dangerous claims that:
>   1. White men are being discriminated against, and this deserves at
>      least as much attention as discrimination against women.
>   2. It is wrong for women to be proud when they manage to overcome
>      discrimination.
>   3. Wearing ``provocative'' clothing is somehow responsible for
>      (at least some) rape.
>
> Except for one or two mild postings, the net is *silent* in response
> to these and other such claims!  Instead, we'll generate scores of
> postings on fireman vs. firefighter.

Well, I am awake, and I do see discrimination against white males.
Not nearly as organised or pervasive as discrimination against other
groups, but discrimination nonetheless.  Is discrimination bad or is
it just bad when it is done to certain groups?  You can't have it
both ways.  Either it's reprehensible or it's OK.  Which is it?

It is something to be proud of when ANYONE manages to overcome
discrimination to get what they should get based on their own merit
and hard work.  As far as this goes, there seems to be more smoke
than fire.

Women shouldn't have to watch what they wear because some men seem
to feel that just because a woman is wearing "provocative" (whatever
that is-- my wife looks provocative to me in just about anything,
including an old T-shirt and faded old jeans, and she says the same
about me) clothing she is out looking to get laid and they can do
to her as they please..  This is wrong;
if the woman says "no", if it is against her will, it is rape.  Pure
and simple.  Besides, this is just a setup fpr the familiar dodge
that rape is somehow a crime of sex, when it is really primarily a
crime of violence.

Mark Modig ihnp4!sftri!mom

jamcmullan@wateng.UUCP (Judy McMullan) (05/14/85)

---

	>3) provocative clothing probably is a contributing factor to rape.  I
	>    don't have any facts to back it up, it is just a gut feeling.

This is in an article in net.WOMEN?? If this keeps up we'll have to rename
it net.women.popular-myths.

gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) (05/14/85)

Can anyone define exactly what provocative clothing is?

Several years ago, there was a court case from Minnesota? in
which a judge decided that a teenage (14 or so) female
hitchhiker who was raped "asked for it" because she was wearing
"provocative clothing" -- jeans and a t-shirt.  I believe the
judge was later removed from the bench.

The point is, provocative is going to mean different things to
different people.  Some people are going to think that a woman
in a skirt short enough to show the ankle is provocative; for
others showing the knee might be provocative.

"Provocative clothing" is no excuse for rape.  Don't try to
blame women for someone else's lack of control (or sanity).

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (05/17/85)

Lets look at that word chairMAN.
			    ___
			     |_____ OOPS its got that nasty part MAN

Well, suppose we use chairperSON
			     ___
			      |______  OOPS, goofed again, SON is also
					  "sexed"

O.K.  I have got it

(Flourish of trumpets ....)

			 CHAIRPEROFFSPRING

If you prefer chairwoman, there's that nasty MAN again,

Q.E.D.                   CHAIRWOPEROFFSPRING

Corollary 1.             WOPEROFFSPINGager of Data Processing
Corollary 2.             nymphoWOPEROFFSPRINGiac

etc,etc, etc.

	        :-}             BIG happy face, no flames

After my company hears about this, I may not have to worry about whose
opnions these are.  Meanwhile, I'll claim them as my own.  I once
brought home a lost puppy when I was a kid.  I also used to collect
frogs and spiders and all sorts of things that didn't have a home
so one more opinion can't hurt, can it?

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (05/17/85)

In article <397@calmasd.UUCP> gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) writes:

>"Provocative clothing" is no excuse for rape.  Don't try to
>blame women for someone else's lack of control (or sanity).

I know that this will probably start flames, and I wish it wouldn't:

If I told you that I was walking in a "bad" area of town, late at night,
and had $100 bills sticking out of my pockets, and that somebody
mugged me, would you be shocked???

Chances are you would tell me: you should have known better.  Now, this
doesn't mean the robbery was right, and it doesn't represent that the
society that allows for someone to mug me is protecting me from myself
(given that there *are* nasties out there).

So why shouldn't the same caveats apply to a women in some provocative
clothing?  If I have to be careful of not being mugged, why can't the
women in the see-thru blouse and the tight leather micro-skirt be
aware that she *is* provoking some sickie out there. It doesn't make
her the guilty party.....it just means that *maybe* she could have
avoided the problem by not dressing in a manner that is thought by
many to be provocative. The problem still resides within the rapists
mind, just as the above problem existed in the muggers mind.

And if somebody were to say to her: "You should have known better than
to dress like that..." that person would probably be labeled sexist!!

Let the flames fly --- after you consider the *logic* of the above
and after you get over my inherently sexist attitude for mentioning
an unspeakable.

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

	Timeinc probably wouldn't acknowledge my existence, and has
	opinions of its own.  I highly doubt that they would make me
	their spokesperson.
------
"If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other,
 there better be no trade. A trade by which one gains and the other
 loses is a fraud."         --- Dagny Taggart

mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) (05/20/85)

> In article <397@calmasd.UUCP> gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) writes:
> >
> >"Provocative clothing" is no excuse for rape.  Don't try to
> >blame women for someone else's lack of control (or sanity).
>
> I know that this will probably start flames, and I wish it wouldn't:
>

> If I told you that I was walking in a "bad" area of town, late at night,
> and had $100 bills sticking out of my pockets, and that somebody
> mugged me, would you be shocked???

No. Not particularly.

> Chances are you would tell me: you should have known better.  Now, this
> doesn't mean the robbery was right, and it doesn't represent that the
> society that allows for someone to mug me is protecting me from myself
> (given that there *are* nasties out there).

OK so far.

> So why shouldn't the same caveats apply to a women in some provocative
> clothing?  If I have to be careful of not being mugged, why can't the
> women in the see-thru blouse and the tight leather micro-skirt be
> aware that she *is* provoking some sickie out there. It doesn't make
> her the guilty party.....it just means that *maybe* she could have
> avoided the problem by not dressing in a manner that is thought by
> many to be provocative. The problem still resides within the rapists
> mind, just as the above problem existed in the muggers mind.
>
> And if somebody were to say to her: "You should have known better than
> to dress like that..." that person would probably be labeled sexist!!
>
> Let the flames fly --- after you consider the *logic* of the above
> and after you get over my inherently sexist attitude for mentioning
> an unspeakable.
>
> Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York

The trouble with your analogy is that it falls apart too soon.  The
situations are not synonymous, to wit:

Defendant: I'm sorry, Judge, but when I saw those bills hanging about
           of his pockets I couldn't help myself.

Judge: No excuse.  Take him away.

*** VS. ***

Defendant:  I'm sorry, Judge, but when I saw her dressed like that,
I just couldn't help myself.

Judge:  I guess so.  Well, we'll just have to take the provocative dress
        account...

The second case here still happens all too often, with the judge now
musing about questions like "Did she ask for it?".  In the first
case, yeah, you don't go walking around in "bad areas" or after dark
or whatever.  But when you get robbed, that isn't really taken into
account.  Besides, you may not have a choice about walking thru a
"bad" area-- in some cities, just about everywhere may be a bad area
as far as rapes and assaults are concerned.

  If you're a robber, you might be able to plead mitigating
circumstances if you were starving, but that doesn't (or rather shouldn't)
hold in the case of rape (Honest, Officer, I just couldn't stand it
any more...).  Starvation, though, or perhaps an ownership dispute
[I don't even want to TOUCH that one] are about the only mitigating
circumstances in a robbery, and there are no corresponding
mitigating circumstances for rape.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sftri!mom

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (05/21/85)

> In article <397@calmasd.UUCP> gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) writes:
> >
> >"Provocative clothing" is no excuse for rape.  Don't try to
> >blame women for someone else's lack of control (or sanity).
>
> If I told you that I was walking in a "bad" area of town, late at night,
> and had $100 bills sticking out of my pockets, and that somebody
> mugged me, would you be shocked???
> [...]
> So why shouldn't the same caveats apply to a women in some provocative
> clothing?  If I have to be careful of not being mugged, why can't the
> women in the see-thru blouse and the tight leather micro-skirt be
> aware that she *is* provoking some sickie out there.

First of all, the original article was a letter written by a Saudi
Arabian man who said that women should not be allowed in the workplace
because they were dressed too provocatively.  "Too provocatively" being
defined as covered head to toe but (gads!) not wearing a veil.

Secondly, I don't really think we're talking about see-thru clothing or
"micro-skirts" (although I think those should be included!).  We're (at
least I am) talking about clothing anybody, male or female, might be
expected to wear on a hot summer day -- t-shirt or tank top and shorts.
Except, of course, that the aforementioned males don't have to bother
with the top.  I really dislike it when I wear a skirt and get whistled
at (mainly because it SCARES me when strangers whistle at me in an empty
subway station or on a dark street (or any street, for that matter)).
It's ridiculous and unfair to claim that that's provocative (but there ARE
men who will claim it is!)

	marie desjardins

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (05/21/85)

> In article <397@calmasd.UUCP> gail@calmasd.UUCP (Gail B. Hanrahan) writes:
> >
> >"Provocative clothing" is no excuse for rape.  Don't try to
> >blame women for someone else's lack of control (or sanity).
> If I told you that I was walking in a "bad" area of town, late at night,
> and had $100 bills sticking out of my pockets, and that somebody
> mugged me, would you be shocked???
> [...]
> Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York

A third point I forgot to mention:  the hypothetical woman wearing the
sexy clothes has, most likely, been told (implicitly or otherwise) that
wearing such clothes is the best way to get a guy (of course, she knows
this is the most important thing in life :-( ).  Then you turn around
and tell her, no, this is wrong and you will get raped, but it's her
fault if she does.

	marie desjardins

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (05/22/85)

In article <442@sftri.UUCP> mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) writes:

>The trouble with your analogy is that it falls apart too soon.  The
>situations are not synonymous, to wit:
>
>Defendant: I'm sorry, Judge, but when I saw those bills hanging about
>           of his pockets I couldn't help myself.
>
>Judge: No excuse.  Take him away.
>
>*** VS. ***
>
>Defendant:  I'm sorry, Judge, but when I saw her dressed like that,
>I just couldn't help myself.
>
>Judge:  I guess so.  Well, we'll just have to take the provocative dress
>        account...
>
>The second case here still happens all too often, with the judge now
>musing about questions like "Did she ask for it?".

Really??? Mark, this might be another one of those myths that
somebody was talking about becoming inherent in this group.  When, in
the last *ten* years have you ever heard of a case where a judge would
even consider this type of foolishness??

That sort of backwardness with todays watchful media eye would have
made the papers, wouldn't it?? Maybe I read the wrong papers....I haven't
noticed it in the NY Times, or the Wall Street Journal. Haven't seen
it in NOW Newletter or Ms. Mag.  Where are you pulling these stats from?

There's been a lot of talk about a case from about 20 years ago.
Times are changing.  And a women still, I feel, reduces her chance of
being raped if she is concious that her actions might trigger
the sickie out there.  It still isn't *her* fault.

I never meant to imply that it was.

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

Timeinc probably wouldn't acknowledge my existence, and has opinions of its
own.  I highly doubt that they would make me their spokesperson.
------
"There's something wrong in the world. There's always been. Something no one
has ever named or explained" --- Francisco d'Anconia

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (05/22/85)

Ross M. Greenberg wrote:
>> If I told you that I was walking in a "bad" area of town, late at night,
>> and had $100 bills sticking out of my pockets, and that somebody
>> mugged me, would you be shocked???
>
>> Chances are you would tell me: you should have known better.  Now, this
>> doesn't mean the robbery was right,...
>
>> So why shouldn't the same caveats apply to a women in some provocative
>> clothing?  If I have to be careful of not being mugged, why can't the
>> women in the see-thru blouse and the tight leather micro-skirt be
>> aware that she *is* provoking some sickie out there. It doesn't make
>> her the guilty party.....it just means that *maybe* she could have
>> avoided the problem by not dressing in a manner that is thought by
>> many to be provocative. ...

Mark Modig replied:
>The trouble with your analogy is that it falls apart too soon.  The
>situations are not synonymous, to wit:
>
>Defendant: I'm sorry, Judge, but when I saw those bills hanging about
>           of his pockets I couldn't help myself.
>
>Judge: No excuse.  Take him away.
>
>*** VS. ***
>
>Defendant:  I'm sorry, Judge, but when I saw her dressed like that,
>I just couldn't help myself.
>
>Judge:  I guess so.  Well, we'll just have to take the provocative dress
>        account...

I don't beg to differ... I just differ.

The two situations *are* analogous.  The *real* problem is that some
judges fail to consider this analogy and as a result, produce an
inappropriate sentencing decisions (ie. let rapists off too easily).

Feminists repeatedly insist that the choice of clothing has *nothing*
to do with the likelihood of being raped.  I haven't been shown much in
the way of evidence.  Mostly all I've seen is the "Proof by Assertion",
and questions about the morality and intentions of anybody who doubts
this statement.  By repeating it a lot, with vehemence and moral
indignation, you can convince a lot of people of this statement without
resorting to evidence and reasoning.  And if enough people believe it,
including the judges, then the frequency of such inappropriate
judgements will drop.

But what if the choice of clothing *does* influence the likelihood of
rape?  A woman who truly believes that this is not so will see no need
to be careful about how she dresses, and she'll innocently increase her
chances of getting raped.  If the standard feminist opinion is widely
believed, but wrong, there will be more rapes.

I've seen no arguments over the net that could convince a reasonable
person of the truth of the feminist position.  Moral indignation and
dogmatic assertions prove nothing.  It is important to have good
evidence for such a statement, because the consequences of being
wrong are serious.
--
	David Canzi

"The Indians got revenge on the white man.  They gave him tobacco."

sunny@sun.uucp (Ms. Sunny Kirsten) (05/22/85)

> >"Provocative clothing" is no excuse for rape.  Don't try to
> >blame women for someone else's lack of control (or sanity).
>
> why can't the women in the see-thru blouse and the tight leather
> micro-skirt be aware that she *is* provoking some sickie out there.

What she *is* is displaying herself.  She didn't expect not to be looked at.
The diamonds and gold in the window of a jewelry store are displayed too.
But neither she nor the jewelry store owner expect to be robbed of what
they are displaying.  Or are you suggesting that the jewelry store is
provoking robbers thieves and burglers (sickies)?
--
{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Ms. Sunny Kirsten)

tron@fluke.UUCP (Peter Barbee) (05/23/85)

>So why shouldn't the same caveats apply to a women in some provocative
>clothing?  If I have to be careful of not being mugged, why can't the
>women in the see-thru blouse and the tight leather micro-skirt be
>aware that she *is* provoking some sickie out there. It doesn't make
>her the guilty party.....it just means that *maybe* she could have
>avoided the problem by not dressing in a manner that is thought by
>many to be provocative.

The problem I have with this is that I don't think the sickies' minds
work the same as mine, or yours.  I do know the provocative clothing
can incite lustful thinking within myself (yes, it's true, I do lust
in my heart also |-) and I would imagine that other men have experienced
this phenomena.  It is part of looking at women as sex objects I guess,
but is not (I hope) particularly evil or dehumanizing by itself.

I don't think that rape starts as lustful thoughts, I think it starts with
demented thoughts of power and aggresion - thoughts that the victim probably
has nothing to do with.  It is conceivable there is a corelation between
how women dress and which ones the sickies decide to rape but my guess is
that it is second order at best.  I'm virtually positive that the situation
where a man sees a provocatively clad women and then decides, on that basis,
to rape her, is extremely rare.

When I worry about being mugged, I don't worry about walking down the "wrong"
street with bills dangling from my pockets, I worry about situations that I
can't avoid.  All of us are at some risk as regards mugging, but if we get
mugged it is because someone wanted our money (or other possesion).  But
a woman is at risk regarding rape because someone wants to dominate her
because of what she is (a woman) rather than what she has (money).
Furthermore, all too often this dominator turns out to be a man the woman
knows, and perhaps even respected.  How do like it when your friend steals
from you?

The question of provocatation just seems pointless in the big picture.

Peter Barbee

P.S.  The question of lustful thoughts is interesting, maybe it is a good
      topic to once again try to start up mail.men.

gkloker@utai.UUCP (Geoff Loker) (05/24/85)

> In article <442@sftri.UUCP> mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) writes:
> >
> >The trouble with your analogy is that it falls apart too soon.  The
> >situations are not synonymous, to wit:
> >
> >Defendant: I'm sorry, Judge, but when I saw those bills hanging about
> >           of his pockets I couldn't help myself.
> >
> >Judge: No excuse.  Take him away.
> >
> >*** VS. ***
> >
> >Defendant:  I'm sorry, Judge, but when I saw her dressed like that,
> >I just couldn't help myself.
> >
> >Judge:  I guess so.  Well, we'll just have to take the provocative dress
> >        account...
> >
> >The second case here still happens all too often, with the judge now
> >musing about questions like "Did she ask for it?".
>
> Really??? Mark, this might be another one of those myths that
> somebody was talking about becoming inherent in this group.  When, in
> the last *ten* years have you ever heard of a case where a judge would
> even consider this type of foolishness??

It happens.  About 1-2 months ago, there was a furor over a judge here
in Ontario who made some rather sexist remarks before sentencing a man
for raping an exotic dancer.  I don't remember the details exactly, but
the gist of it is:

      The woman worked in an occupation which inspired lust in
      men and was therefore in a high risk occupation for rape
      to happen.  (This totally ignoring the fact that the man
      accused of raping her had waited for some time outside the
      stage door, so how could lust have had anything to do with
      it?)

Result of the trial?  The accused was given a light sentence -- I guess
the judge felt that there were extenuating circumstances (he couldn't
help himself [the accused, not the judge]?).

I don't know if the sentence has been reconsidered, but there was
definitely a review of the judge's appointment to the bench.  I think,
but am not sure, that he is no longer sitting in judgement.  (Three
cheers if that is true.)

Please, no remarks about Canada being a backwards nation -- we aren't.

--
Geoff Loker
Department of Computer Science

USENET:	{ihnp4 decwrl utzoo uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!gkloker
CSNET:		gkloker@toronto
ARPANET:	gkloker.toronto@csnet-relay

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (05/27/85)

In article <198@timeinc.UUCP> greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:

>And a woman still, I feel, reduces her chance of
>being raped if she is concious that her actions might trigger
>the sickie out there.  It still isn't *her* fault.

In all the responses to Ross's article about "provocative clothing", no one
seems to have challenged its basic premise.  Do you have any evidence at all,
Ross, that the kind of clothing a woman wears has any effect whatsoever on
her chance of being raped?
--
Richard Mateosian
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

In article <1395@watdcsu.UUCP> dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) writes:

>But what if the choice of clothing *does* influence the likelihood of
>rape?  A woman who truly believes that this is not so will see no need
>to be careful about how she dresses, and she'll innocently increase her
>chances of getting raped.
>
>It is important to have good evidence for such a statement, because
>the consequences of being wrong are serious.

This is like saying that you should invest substantial portions of your
life's energy in the observance of certain religious forms, because you
might just go to Hell if you don't.
--

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (05/29/85)

>In all the responses to Ross's article about "provocative clothing", no one
>seems to have challenged its basic premise.  Do you have any evidence at all,
>Ross, that the kind of clothing a woman wears has any effect whatsoever on
>her chance of being raped?
>--
>Richard Mateosian
>{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

As a matter of fact yes, albeit a limited quantity.  A friend of mine
worked with rapists in prisons for quite a while, doing research on
rape, and the causes of rape.  Although I have only her rough draft here,
I'll recite the stats as I interpret them, rounding up or down by
five percent.  A total of close to eight hundred rapists were
interviewed, so maybe that *is* statistically significant. As one
further note, my friend was raped herself and really questioned why
this happened to her before she started asking the inmates.

The below is only regarding male rape of female victims:

80% of all rape was committed against someone the rapist knew. So called
	"date-rape".

~5% of al rape was committed against the very old or the very young

50% of all rape was committed against someone +/- four years the rapists
	age

90% of all rape was committed against someone +/- ten years the rapists
	age

10% of rape involved weapons of any sort

60% of the rapists had committed rape at least once before without
	being caught

30% had committed rape "numerous" times before without getting
	caught.

20% had committed rape, been prosecuted, and not convicted.

of this twenty percent, 40% got off due to the women never showing up
	at the trial, 30% got off due to "mitigating circumstances",
	and the remaining 30% got off legit: they had not raped the
	women, but she had pressed charges.  Less than 1% claimed that
	they were innocent, but my friend was convinced that they were
	in fact innocent.

Reasons for rape:

about 30% said that the women was "asking for it" or that "she deserved it".
This was indicative of date rape more than of out-of-the-bushes rape.
Lot of rejection ("she was fucking everyone but me" type of stuff) and
power trips ("I'll show the litte bitch")

about 50% were reminded of someone that they knew (mother? spouse? ) and
wanted to "get even"

about 20% wanted to rape. This was both a power-play (violence and not
sex) and sexual desire. Rape, in this case, I feel, should
be considered a crime of sex: they wanted to rape, to have sex, with
a women that they desired. They were able to overpower the women in some
form and because they were able to overpower/get away with it, they
had sex with a women who had no desire to have sex with them.  The purpose
of the rape was not to overpower and intimidate the women, it was to
have intercourse with a women that would not otherwise have intercourse with
them.

It is this last category which brought me to talking about "provocative
clothing".  These rapists decided to rape a given women because they
were desirous of having sex with her. They made this decision based on
a number of factors, one of which was sexual desire for that women.

What made their choice for the date-rape type of rape? The key words
here are *sexual desire*. A rapist would be desirous of
sex with the women he was "out" with, but was rejected. What helped
him in feeling sexual desire for the women? 30% of all rapists
claimed the looks of the women were of either primary of
secondary importance. The other contributing factor appeared
to be the ability of "getting" away with it. Remember that we
are not speaking here of the stereo-typical rapist: we are speaking here of
(60%) high-school graduates that already knew the women they were raping.

Actual numbers that claimed that some of the women
were raped because of their appeararance was an astounding 40%!!

Now, it is up to the reader here to determine whether "appearance"
includes dress. I have interpreted these numbers to indicate
that "provocative dress", whilst never responsible for the actual
rape (he rapist is responsible for the rape), may be a contributing
factor in determining whether a woman gets raped or not.

If I can dig up a copy of the paper in its finished form, I'll
publish it here on the net.

I'm sorry for the length of this, but maybe this is stuff
that should be printed here before future discussion goes on.

Comments??? Send them to me, and I'll compile them for the net.

(I tried to do a decent job of interpreting my friends raw
notes: there are over 200K of them on my KAYPRO, so please bear with me.)

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc. they would make me their spokesperson.
------

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (05/29/85)

>But what if the choice of clothing *does* influence the likelihood of
>rape?  A woman who truly believes that this is not so will see no need
>to be careful about how she dresses, and she'll innocently increase her
>chances of getting raped.
>
>It is important to have good evidence for such a statement, because
>the consequences of being wrong are serious. -- David Canzi

    Do you suppose that a woman in traditional feminine clothing, such as
    high-heels, skirt, frilly blouse, and flowers in her hair, all
    thoroughly modest by conservative standards, has minimized her chances
    of rape?

    I doubt it.

    Considering that the violation of `pristine feminine virtue' is such a
    common theme in stereotypical male porno literature, I suspect that
    dressing like Marie Osmond likely INCREASES one's chance of rape.

    Recent allusion to `exposed flesh' and `tight leather' strikes me as a
    flimsy, though probably unconscious, attempt to divert the blame away
    from APPALLINGLY UGLY MALE PEER GROUP ATTITUDES to `provocative
    clothing'. Such thinking overlooks the fact that true rape-preventative
    dress probably consists of Army boots, football shoulder pads,
    construction work clothing, and a marine haircut with optional
    fake facial hair (recommended).

    Simply being PERCEIVED as a woman is to provoke a rapist.

    I believe this is the nature of the loss of freedom women experience.

-michael

cs1@oddjob.UUCP (Cheryl Stewart) (05/29/85)

Living on the south side of Chicago, and keeping late graduate-student hours,
all I do is dress like a guy, keep my hair short, and nobody has bothered me
in three years.  Yes I *do* walk alone after dark *frequently*.  I'm really
tired of this provocative clothing, high-heel sneaker and rape discussion, when
it's pretty clear what the solution is:  look like a guy and nobody will bother
you.  This does not entail any loss of "femininity"--it's only a disguise, an
appearance.  It's like my friend Jim who lives in an apartment on Manhattan's
lower east side...before he gets on the subway, he puts on a shabby coat and
a pair of ratty gloves with the fingers torn off, and pretends he's nodding
out and twitching on various drugs for the whole ride.  *NOBODY* has ever
bothered him.  He considers this simple street-smarts, not some painful
sacrifice of his old-moneyed inner being.

As for me, I'm convinced enough of my femininity that I *don't* have to *prove*
it with clothing *OR* shrill rhetoric about *bad* men are.

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (05/30/85)

> about 20% wanted to rape. This was both a power-play (violence and not
> sex) and sexual desire. Rape, in this case, I feel, should
> be considered a crime of sex: they wanted to rape, to have sex, with
> a women that they desired. They were able to overpower the women in some
> form and because they were able to overpower/get away with it, they
> had sex with a women who had no desire to have sex with them.  The purpose
> of the rape was not to overpower and intimidate the women, it was to
> have intercourse with a women that would not otherwise have intercourse with
> them.

What makes you think a convicted rapist is the best judge of his own
motives?  If psychology has taught us anything, it's that the roots of
behavior are quite complex.

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (05/30/85)

In article <2769@nsc.UUCP> srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) writes:
>In article <1395@watdcsu.UUCP> dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) writes:
>>
>>But what if the choice of clothing *does* influence the likelihood of
>>rape?  A woman who truly believes that this is not so will see no need
>>to be careful about how she dresses, and she'll innocently increase her
>>chances of getting raped.
>>
>>It is important to have good evidence for such a statement, because
>>the consequences of being wrong are serious.
>
>This is like saying that you should invest substantial portions of your
>life's energy in the observance of certain religious forms, because you
>might just go to Hell if you don't.

Unlike the question of whether God and Hell exist, the question of what
effect, if any, choice of clothing has on the likelihood of being
raped, can be defined and scientifically investigated.  Statistics can
be collected on the types of clothing worn by rape victims, and on
random samples of women walking past sites where rapes have occurred,
and then they can be compared.

When I see people dogmatically asserting that choice of clothing has
*no* effect on the likelihood of being raped, it is hard for me to
avoid the impression that a scientific question is being dealt with by
religious means.  You seem so *certain* of your belief.  You must have
some reason for believing it.  What is your reason?
--
	David Canzi

"All in all you're just another prick in the stall." -- men's room graffiti

hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) (05/30/85)

> >The second case here still happens all too often, with the judge now
> >musing about questions like "Did she ask for it?".
>
> Really??? Mark, this might be another one of those myths that
> somebody was talking about becoming inherent in this group.  When, in
> the last *ten* years have you ever heard of a case where a judge would
> even consider this type of foolishness??

Last year, when I was on Jury Duty.

> That sort of backwardness with todays watchful media eye would have
> made the papers, wouldn't it?? Maybe I read the wrong papers....I haven't
> noticed it in the NY Times, or the Wall Street Journal. Haven't seen
> it in NOW Newletter or Ms. Mag.  Where are you pulling these stats from?

> Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
>               --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

My personal experience. (Of course, I'm not Mark.)  Granted, it is not
always the Judge who asks these questions; it is often the jury or
the public.  The effect is the same.  Two examples:

1.  My stint on jury duty included an attempted rape case.  I heard
    all the testimony, etc., because I was originally chosen for the
    jury, but disallowed at the end (long story, legal mumbo jumbo).
    Given all the facts of the case I and the other two jurors who
    were chosen as alternates and thus not voting members of the jury
    were absolutely convinced that the boy was guilty.  The voting
    members of the jury, who were mostly older women who had no real
    contact with the outside world on a regular basis (long hours of
    talking in the jury room while waiting established this point),
    plus a few young men, decided that, although the girl had screamed
    and called for help for over 15 minutes (witnesses for that), the
    boy was not guilty of attempted rape because the girl had "probably
    said 'yes' and then changed her mind."  The charge was "attempted
    rape" only because the neighbors who listened to her screaming
    finally decided to call the police and the boy was interrupted.
    Even the Judge (later, in a private conversation) expressed
    shock that the jury let the boy (18 years old) off without even
    opting for a lesser charge.  So it wasn't the judge, but the result
    was the same.  [A related flame - if every professional who is
    called for jury duty gets out of it because we have the wherewithal
    to do so, then juries are made up of people with nothing else to do,
    something I find terrifying if I'm ever up in front of one.]

2.  Not that I ever want to discuss this again, but the Big Dan's gang
    rape case in New Bedford Massachusetts, in which a woman was raped
    by 4 men and "fondled" by 2 more for two hours in a bar, surrounded
    by a crowd of cheering onlookers, was a hotbed of "what was she
    doing in that bar in the first place?" crap.  In fact, there were
    marches where thousands of people marched *in support* of the
    *rapists*!!!!!  The men were convicted, but given reduced sentences
    due, I'm sure, to the public pressure.  That case was two years
    ago, well within your ten-year time limit.
--
--Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5} rayssd!hxe
   I don't think my company *has* an opinion, so the ones in this

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (05/31/85)

In article <773@rayssd.UUCP> hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) writes:

>2.  Not that I ever want to discuss this again, but the Big Dan's gang
>    rape case in New Bedford Massachusetts, in which a woman was raped
>    by 4 men and "fondled" by 2 more for two hours in a bar, surrounded
>    by a crowd of cheering onlookers, was a hotbed of "what was she
>    doing in that bar in the first place?" crap.  In fact, there were
>    marches where thousands of people marched *in support* of the
>    *rapists*!!!!!  The men were convicted, but given reduced sentences
>    due, I'm sure, to the public pressure.  That case was two years
>    ago, well within your ten-year time limit.
>--
>--Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5} rayssd!hxe

Heather, from what I recall of the case, it was proven during
the court hearing that, although she was raped by either one
or two men (and these were the men who were convicted), there
was no "cheering" going on, and that this was just a sensationalist
story that the victim first told that was immediately
picked up by our trustworthy media.

I really would rather not get into this again, but please get
your facts straight.  Any rape is bad enough, but the
New Bedford one raised two many raw nerves due to each
"side" in the net.women argument choosing to believe their own facts.

Additionally the parade was because the people in the community
felt that this was an issue of ethic prejudice (being a mostly
Portugeese township, and the women being American). They
were marching because they felt that the men were going to be
railroaded due to their nationality and ethnic backround.

As for a jury deciding to almost let a rapist off:
What do you suggest as a better alternative than twelve
people deciding the rapists fate? The victim? She might be a little
biased. The jurors have their own biases too, but that is what
jury trials are all about: being tried by a small segment of
society.

jimi@SCINEWS.UUCP (Jim Ingram/Todd Jones) (06/04/85)

> Living on the south side of Chicago, and keeping late graduate-student hours,
> all I do is dress like a guy, keep my hair short, and nobody has bothered me
> in three years.  Yes I *do* walk alone after dark *frequently*.  I'm really
> tired of this provocative clothing, high-heel sneaker and rape discussion, when
> it's pretty clear what the solution is:  look like a guy and nobody will bother
> you.  This does not entail any loss of "femininity"--it's only a disguise, an
> appearance.  It's like my friend Jim who lives in an apartment on Manhattan's
> lower east side...before he gets on the subway, he puts on a shabby coat and
> a pair of ratty gloves with the fingers torn off, and pretends he's nodding
> out and twitching on various drugs for the whole ride.  *NOBODY* has ever
> bothered him.  He considers this simple street-smarts, not some painful
> sacrifice of his old-moneyed inner being.
>
> As for me, I'm convinced enough of my femininity that I *don't* have to *prove*
> it with clothing *OR* shrill rhetoric about *bad* men are.

As many other flames in net.women have pointed out, society
expects certain behaviors from women, including their appearance.
To expect women to dress in such a constrained manner to avoid
sexual assault is as unreasonable as to expect them to parade
around in high heels and low-cut dresses. Women should not
be expected to behave in any particular fashion. This, as I understand
it, is the fundamental position of feminism and a position I support.

chabot@miles.DEC (High Anxiety Workstations) (06/06/85)

The protest marches about the Big Dan's case may have been held to protest
racial discrimination, but the people marching were quoted as saying "These boys
did nothing wrong."  A rather ambiguous statement--do they mean that these
particular young men didn't do it, or that what they did wasn't wrong.  I think
the newspaper/newsradio media in this case played up the ambiguity for that
extra thrill.

Perhaps some have gotten the wrong impression of this case, but with help like
this from the news, well.

L S Chabot   ...decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-amber!chabot   chabot%amber.dec@decwrl.arpa

hxe@rayssd.UUCP (Heather Emanuel) (06/10/85)

This is me:

> >2.  Not that I ever want to discuss this again, but the Big Dan's gang
> >    rape case in New Bedford Massachusetts, in which a woman was raped
> >    by 4 men and "fondled" by 2 more for two hours in a bar, surrounded
> >    by a crowd of cheering onlookers, was a hotbed of "what was she
> >    doing in that bar in the first place?" crap.  In fact, there were
> >    marches where thousands of people marched *in support* of the
> >    *rapists*!!!!!  The men were convicted, but given reduced sentences
> >    due, I'm sure, to the public pressure.  That case was two years
> >    ago, well within your ten-year time limit.

Ross Greenberg:

> Heather, from what I recall of the case, it was proven during
> the court hearing that, although she was raped by either one
> or two men (and these were the men who were convicted), there
> was no "cheering" going on, and that this was just a sensationalist
> story that the victim first told that was immediately
> picked up by our trustworthy media.

In fact, she was raped by four men, who were convicted, and held down
and "fondled" by two more, who were not convicted.  The onlookers (yes,
not everyone in the bar, but a significant number surrounding the pool
table) were 'encouraging' the rapists.

> I really would rather not get into this again, but please get
> your facts straight.  Any rape is bad enough, but the
> New Bedford one raised two many raw nerves due to each
> "side" in the net.women argument choosing to believe their own facts.

I have my facts straight.  I *live* here, two towns over from New
Bedford.  We got a *lot* of coverage that wasn't presented on any
national media.  I had to live with this case day and night for
months, including all sorts of opinions from male coworkers that
made it very difficult to be a non-man-hating woman.  (I succeeded.)

> Additionally the parade was because the people in the community
> felt that this was an issue of ethic prejudice (being a mostly
> Portugeese township, and the women being American). They
> were marching because they felt that the men were going to be
> railroaded due to their nationality and ethnic backround.

Yes, it's true that they felt that it was somehow a Portuguese
issue rather than a straightforward rape case, but the reasons
presented for letting the men off were suspect at best.  Few of
them denied that the men had engaged in intercourse with the woman;
their protest was that the defendants shouldn't have to pay for
"one little mistake" and that "she asked for it."  Yes, even young
Portuguese women were questioning the victim's right to be in that
bar.  As it was explained to me by many of my Portuguese friends
(who were embarrassed by this misplaced Portuguese 'pride'), there
is a strong cultural bias against women doing anything but "women"
sort of things; ergo the poor men were only doing what anyone
would do with that sort of woman in that sort of situation and thus
shouldn't be singled out.  The fact that there is a cultural history
doesn't excuse the rape or the defense of the rapists.  Also, not
often pointed out on the national news, is the fact that the jury
was almost completely Portuguese, so the racism argument should have
been tossed out the window.  All I know is that the gut feeling
brought on by the sight of a candlelight march *IN SUPPORT OF CONVICTED
RAPISTS* is one I hope none of you ever have to share.

> As for a jury deciding to almost let a rapist off:
> What do you suggest as a better alternative than twelve
> people deciding the rapists fate? The victim? She might be a little
> biased. The jurors have their own biases too, but that is what
> jury trials are all about: being tried by a small segment of
> society.

I'm not sure what you mean here.  In the Big Dan's case, at least,
the jury convicted four of the six men.  It was the Judge who
passed a reduced/light sentence.  It is my understanding that the
jury never passes the sentence.  And yes, I still believe that the
jury/judge justice system is best (although I have flamed about the
*quality* of juries based on the fact that aware professionals
always get out of jury duty leaving who knows what to fill in).  I
also believe that *most* judges pass fair sentences, and are much
more qualified to do so than juries or anyone else.  In this case,
specifically, I felt that the judge bowed to public pressure when
passing sentence.

--
--Heather Emanuel {allegra, decvax!brunix, linus, ccice5} rayssd!hxe
   I don't think my company *has* an opinion, so the ones in this
                  article are obviously my own.
"Ain't life a brook...
 Sometimes I feel just like a polished stone"  -Ferron

robertp@weitek.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (06/11/85)

In article <110@SCINEWS.UUCP>, jimi@SCINEWS.UUCP (Jim Ingram/Todd Jones)
writes [in response to an article about women going about in disguise to
prevent being attacked]:

> As many other flames in net.women have pointed out, society
> expects certain behaviors from women, including their appearance.
> To expect women to dress in such a constrained manner to avoid
> sexual assault is as unreasonable as to expect them to parade
> around in high heels and low-cut dresses. Women should not
> be expected to behave in any particular fashion.

No one expects women to go around in disguise -- that's one of the things
that makes the disguise effective.  Talking about what "Society expects" in
this context demonstrates an unnerving tendency to lump all issues into the
"society vs. women" category.

Most postings to net.women actually concentrate one of these issues; ethics,
tactics, strategy, and bigotry.

ETHICAL issues have to do with what's right and wrong -- how to live a
correct or moral life.  There are really only two ethical issues that appear
in net.women with any frequency:  individual rights and government
regulation (whether it's right for a person to discriminate against another,
and whether it's right to use police power to prevent it). I believe that
ethical issues get short shrift in net.women, since flaming is more fun.

TACTICAL issues deal with surviving in a botched world.  The basic premise
here is that you have to make allowances for the trials and tribulations of
the world, at least until the promised Utopia arrives.  Going about in
disguise to avoid being assaulted is a tactical decision. So is having an
escort, a doberman, or a Sherman tank.  It doesn't change the world
situation, but it keeps you alive.

STRATEGIC issues deal with changing the world from its current botched state
into something more palatable.  Crime and punishment, education, nonsexist
language, etc. are all strategic issues, since they're (allegedly) working
towards some kind of long-term goal.

BIGOTRY is actually an ethical argument (should both men and women be
treated as human beings? Just men? Just women? Or should judgement be passed
on some other criteria (if at all)?).  Bigotry is THE issue in net.women,
though, so I give it a separate category.

Let's keep the arguments from sliding around, okay? Complaining that a
tactical decision like self-defense training doesn't change society is a
waste of time.

**** PET PEEVES ***

NO INDIVIDUALS -- JUST GROUPS

"Society" expects women to dress a certain way? What do you mean, "society?"
Every person on earth? Every W.A.S.P.? Your parents? The government?

The real issues are two-fold: How the government treats individuals, and how
individuals treat each other.  By speaking ambiguously, and using broad
terms as much as possible, you can make incredibly false and bigoted
statements. "Blacks are oppressed by whites.  You're white; I'm black. You
are oppressing me."

Such statements (intentionally, I think) deny the value of individual effort
by punishing the innocent along with the guilty -- "Men are all alike; even
if you didn't rape her, you would have if you had had the chance."  This is
the basis of bigotry.

THE SOLUTION TO DISCRIMINATION IS COUNTER-DISCRIMINATION

"You did it to us, now we'll do it to you!" This is the fun way to equality
-- "social justice" and revenge at the same time!  Too bad it's morally
bankrupt.

MEN AND WOMEN ARE NOT ONLY EQUAL, BUT IDENTICAL

The "anything you can do, I can do better" routine doesn't actually have any
bearing on individual rights.  The criterion should be, "Are you human?" If
the answer is yes, you're intitled to life, liberty, and property, just like
the man said.

After all, the ORIGINAL idea was that people should be treated on the basis
of their INDIVIDUAL merits, not because they belong to the current power
group, or wear fashionable clothes.

Far too much has been put onto the net about methods of acheiving "equality"
with methods that are designed to weaken the value of individual skill, and
strengthen the role played by race and gender. This is seen as a
"counterbalancing" action, in the tune of "two wrongs make a right."

IT'S IMPOSSIBLE FOR A WOMAN TO MAKE HEADWAY AGAINST PREJUDICE

The women who've posted such pessimistic articles to the net recently all
seem to be in the wrong part of the country, working for the worst kind of
jerks.  There are princes as well as ogres in the world; with effort you can
manage to associate with one and not the other.

Enough of this! I have to go home and cook dinner for my wife...

--
		-- Robert Plamondon
		   {ucbvax!dual!turtlevax,ihnp4!resonex}!weitek!robertp

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (06/11/85)

Heather:

Thank you for filling me in on some pertinant facts that,
as you surmised, were not covered by our local media here.

I apologize for doubting you. It's just that I'm used to people going
off half-baked with inadequate data (like I did!).

Just one more thought, though: You seem to feel that the jury, being
primarily Portugeese, might have been lenient with the rapists. Isn't
it supposed to be a jury of your peers? In this case it was. If I'm
ever tried for a crime, I would hope to be tried by computer professional
types.

The odds of that are low, though, as we seem to be able to "get out off"
jury duty pretty easily...

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax15}!timeinc!greenber<---------

js2j@mhuxt.UUCP (sonntag) (06/12/85)

> Just one more thought, though: You seem to feel that the jury, being
> primarily Portugeese, might have been lenient with the rapists. Isn't
> it supposed to be a jury of your peers? In this case it was. If I'm
> ever tried for a crime, I would hope to be tried by computer professional
> types.
> Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York

     I was never sure just what they meant by that phrase - 'a jury of your
peers'.  Surely we wouldn't convene a jury of rapists to try a rapist,
would we?  Of course not.  Did the phrase arise in reaction to historical
practices of choosing a jury entirely from upper-crust types or what?  Does
anyone have any actual knowlege of this (or even likely sounding theories?)?
--
Jeff Sonntag
ihnp4!mhuxt!js2j

tonyw@ubvax.UUCP (Tony Wuersch) (06/13/85)

I wasn't around reading the net when the Big Dan's case was so hotly
discussed, but I'd appreciate mail about that discussion.  I lived in
Fall River, where the trial and the marches took place, until 1977
when I left for college.  I remember the time, and talks I had with
people back there; it was scary.

Heather Emanuel and Lisa Chabot are right about the tone taken by the
organizers of the march and by the Portuguese community in general.
The woman was Portuguese, not American.  Still she got death threats
and had to move out of New Bedford.  I recall that the penalty was
considered fair and harsh by most of the press.  The judge got a lot
of press credit for running a fair trial.

The Portuguese community there is sort-of a Cuban-style enclave.  Any
Portuguese woman who stays in that community lives a life dominated
by local patriarchy.  However, she can move out.  The moment of
adulthood when a woman decides to join or stay in that community is
a very hard time.  I wish the high schools in Fall River and New
Bedford helped women to make those choices.

The special problem of the trial was that the traditional Portuguese
in Southeastern Mass had political reactions and organizational norms
better fitting the Azores before the end of Portugal's Salazar period
-- a corrupt and vicious dictatorship -- than of the US where they now
live.  Massive emigration from the Azores which reached its height
in the 60's probably gave an impression to many poorer immigrants
that they could succeed in completely transporting their culture, lock
stock and barrel, to the new country.

And then came Big Dan's.

Portuguese stick together against outsiders, and the more traditional
they are, the more they stick together.  Perhaps in Portugal,
politics was both corrupt and deadly serious, so that only by
presenting an united front could a community beat the regime.  In
Fall River I often sensed threats of violence if I pushed an issue
too far.  It's as if people felt they might have to defend their
whole way of life with their fists if necessary.

In my senior year at the Fall River public high school, the administration
tried to impose a discipline code that would reduce a student's grade
for skipping class.  Three days after the announcement, the entire
school walked out, but the organizers of the walkout, mostly business
students -- nearly all Portuguese women, since the men mostly drop out
to work -- remained hidden from the administration.  They never spoke
up once except to show what they could do.

I remember that time vividly because one of my teachers threatened that
if I joined the walkout, he would send nasty letters about me to the
colleges to which I had applied.  So I didn't go.

I suspect the legwork behind organizing the trial march was mostly
done by women -- a mother spoke as if she were one of its leaders.
As in my high school, likely the women acted on principles, in this
case to defend their men.

From living in Fall River, I (surprisingly, perhaps) take a harsher
stance on what happened than many outside.  Women and children are so
oppressed by the traditional structure that schools should provide
external assistance to defend them and help them choose what futures
they want to follow.  But that would amount to an invasion on what
are often considered community prerogatives, local rule, etc..

Fat chance that will happen.

On the other hand, I didn't appreciate getting into fights because I
was willing to argue with people that abortion was ok.  And at the time
of the Big Dan's case, I wouldn't have appreciated getting threatened
by stares if I mentioned the case, as happened to my parents.  People
who want to lead their own lives, free, have to lay low to survive
in Southeastern Mass..  I'm glad I left.

Tony Wuersch  (for now a Californian)
{amd,amdcad}!cae780!ubvax!tonyw

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/13/85)

>      I was never sure just what they meant by that phrase - 'a jury of your
> peers'.  Surely we wouldn't convene a jury of rapists to try a rapist,
> would we?  Of course not.  Did the phrase arise in reaction to historical
> practices of choosing a jury entirely from upper-crust types or what?  Does
> anyone have any actual knowlege of this (or even likely sounding theories?)?
> --
> Jeff Sonntag

In England the wording (as also found in the US Constitution) of the Magna Carta specifies that a jury of ones peers be required since feudalism had made
the entire province of determining guilt or innocence a **right** of
the aristocracy.

Since the founders of the US were essentially european the constitution
was drawn attempting to use as much of the good law then in existance
as they could, ie to give the "colonies" a basis at least as strong as
the best then available and then onto this they added the things which
they felt were lacking in existing law.

The result is the United States Consitution.

jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie