[net.women] Madonna, Madonna, Madonna...

todd@SCINEWS.UUCP (Todd Jones) (06/13/85)

NOTE: Flaming invited, encouraged, and eagerly awaited

Introduction:
It appears that the latest popular music idol, Madonna Cirone(?),
is creating quite a stir in various news groups. Being both a
consumer of pop culture and an obnoxiously opinionated loudmouth,
I guess it's my turn to spew.

Dicotomy:
Observers either believe that Madonna is an affront to the women's
movement or that she represents independence and self-definition
for females of our culture. I tend to endorse the former opinion.
Sure, women (and men, too) should be able to assume any role in
society that doesn't infringe on the basic rights of others.
Phyllis Schlafley (sp?) should have the right to spread her propa-
ganda and Eleanor Smeal the right to spread her (admittedly, less
biased) propaganda.

Premise:
But, I contend that Madonna, like *most* other popular
entertainers, is a vehicle, a tool if you will, for the entertainment
industry to make megabucks. The entertainment industry thrives on
imparting personalities on people that will accept it in stride.
This acceptance is referred to in the industry as "having a professional
attitude." The Madonna we see on the covers of Time, People, The National
Enquirer, and the like is a creation of clever record executives with
impressive track records in "Artist Development." The function of
"Artist Development" is to enhance (read: create) the perceived image
of an artist into a commercially viable product.

My inside poop:
My opinions are based on my own limited experiences in the recording
industry and on a good friend's experiences as a recording technician
in a New York recording studio used frequently by Madonna. Apparently
Madonna's musical contribution to her image is minimal. All instrumental
tracks are recorded without her, most of her songs (poor at that) are
written by others, she sings with an army of voice coaches, coke-tooting
producers and "Artist Development" record executives. The music is the
result of cigar-chomping industry bigwigs' manipulations.
These cigar-chompers are, of course, *men* intent on producing the
greatest revenues possible for their companies.

Industry analysis:
As a male-dominated industry appealing to the gut emotions of its
market, the record biz stands to gain much by reinforcing stereotypical
fantasy images that excite the male sector of their market and encourage
the "boytoy" role for the female sector of their market. Most marketing
experts agree that strategies at the forefront of social change fail.
Strategies that reinforce established or even antiquated social roles
succeed.

Bottom line:
The image conveyed by Madonna is not an original one. It is a larger-
than-life personification (oxymoron?) of a predominant male fantasy:
the sex object that requires no commitment. Madonna is an inflatable
love doll. She can exist without men, but without definition.

My opinions (as if I haven't been spewing tham already):
I hope my daughter (11 months old) will be free to choose any role
possible in defining herself, be it an anti-ERA spokesperson, or an
airheaded pop star. But at the same time I hope she can be realistic
about her inevitable worship of entertainment personalities (another
oxymoron) and develop a self-image that is independent of preconceived
gender roles or social pressures.

Madonna, go ahead and wiggle your navel, show some tit, tease boy's
weenies, do whatever the f*ck you want, just don't expect any respect
from me regarding your alleged independence and self-made ascention
to the top.

-nuf sed

The preceding opinions are, in all likelihood, those of Todd Jones.
However, these opinions will, in all certainty, bear scant resemblance
to the opinions of SCI Systems, Inc., Mr. Jones' employer.

   ||   ||
   [ O-O ]       Todd Jones
    \ ^ /        {decvax,akgua}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!todd
    | _ |
    |___|

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (06/15/85)

In article <SCINEWS.134> todd@SCINEWS.UUCP (Todd Jones) writes:

>Bottom line:
>The image conveyed by Madonna is not an original one. It is a larger-
>than-life personification (oxymoron?) of a predominant male fantasy:
                                                             ^^^^^^^
>the sex object that requires no commitment. Madonna is an inflatable
>love doll. She can exist without men, but without definition.

Sounds appropriate, after all, show-business is a fantasy world.

>Madonna, go ahead and wiggle your navel, show some tit, tease boy's
>weenies, do whatever the f*ck you want, just don't expect any respect
>from me regarding your alleged independence and self-made ascention
>to the top.

I don't care what Todd says, I'LL respect you in the morning.

	Frank Silbermann