[net.women] Ah ! The Good Old Times

san@peora.UUCP (Sanjay Tikku) (06/10/85)

All this discussion/argument/flame throwing about AA/discrimination ....
reminds me of the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and this
is made amply clear in a plaque I found in Atlanta recently and now
adorns my office. Here it goes :

***************************************

When the white man discovered this country
Indians were running it
No taxes or debt
Women did all the work
WHITE MAN THOUGHT HE COULD IMPROVE ON A SYSTEM LIKE THAT

***************************************

See what happens when you try to fix something that's working.

Happy thinking !

sanjay

--
Full-Name:  Sanjay Tikku
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!san

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/11/85)

> All this discussion/argument/flame throwing about AA/discrimination ....
> reminds me of the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and this
> is made amply clear in a plaque I found in Atlanta recently and now
> adorns my office. Here it goes :
>
> ***************************************
>
> When the white man discovered this country
> Indians were running it
> No taxes or debt
> Women did all the work
> WHITE MAN THOUGHT HE COULD IMPROVE ON A SYSTEM LIKE THAT
>
> ***************************************
>
> See what happens when you try to fix something that's working.
>
> Happy thinking !
>
> sanjay
>
> --
> Full-Name:  Sanjay Tikku
> UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!san
> CSnet:      san%peora.UUCP@CSNET-RELAY
> USnail:     MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
> 	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642
> Tel:        (305)850-1042-Off.  ; (305)851-3700-Res.
> --
> Full-Name:  Sanjay Tikku
> UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!san
> CSnet:      san%peora.UUCP@CSNET-RELAY
> USnail:     MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
> 	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642
> Tel:        (305)850-1042-Off.  ; (305)851-3700-Res.

If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
arranged.

jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.....
			..... or the few."

This one has many opinions - thses are but a few.

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (06/13/85)

> If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
> has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
> arranged.

   I don't remember where I read this, but it seems that the Indians that sold
Manhatten didn't own it, i.e. they lived on the island only a few monthes of the
year.  They sold it while the primary resdents were off on their annual hunting
trip.  It was a swindle!

--

	Barry Buchbinder
	Agrigenetics Corp.

goodrum@unc.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (06/13/85)

In article <agrigene.137> buchbind@agrigene.UUCP writes:
>> If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
>> has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
>> arranged.
>
>   I don't remember where I read this, but it seems that the Indians that sold
>Manhatten didn't own it, i.e. they lived on the island only a few monthes of the
>year.  They sold it while the primary resdents were off on their annual hunting
>trip.  It was a swindle!
>
>--
>
>	Barry Buchbinder
>	Agrigenetics Corp.
>	5649 E. Buckeye Rd.
>	Madison, WI  53716  USA
>	(608)221-5000
>	{seismo,ihnp4,harpo}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!agrigene!buchbind

	I heard western writer Louis Lamour say the same thing a few years back
on "Sixty Minutes". I don't know much about Lamour, but people who read him,
even the ones that think he's a lousy writer, tell me he really knows his
history.

	Cloyd Goodrum III

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (06/15/85)

In article <305@ihlpa.UUCP> zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) writes:
>> All this discussion/argument/flame throwing about AA/discrimination ....
>> reminds me ... (of) a plaque I found in Atlanta recently and (which) now
>> adorns my office. Here it goes :
>>
>> ***************************************
>>
>> When the white man discovered this country
>> Indians were running it
>> No taxes or debt
>> Women did all the work
>> WHITE MAN THOUGHT HE COULD IMPROVE ON A SYSTEM LIKE THAT
>>
>> ***************************************
>> See what happens when you try to fix something that's working.
>> Happy thinking !
>>
>> sanjay
>> --
>> Full-Name:  Sanjay Tikku
>

>If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
>has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
>arranged.
>
>jeanette l. zobjeck
>ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie

Sorry, but this was one of the earliest cases of a tourist visiting
New York being sold a bill of goods.  According to something I read
back in the early '70s, (the original Lost Reference) the Indians
who met with the greedy Dutchmen didn't live there, they were visiting.
The sale was completely invalid, but the Dutch were pushy enough, and
the real tenants were laid-back enough, that the filthy white-eye
Europeans got their foothold, and now the whole area has gone so far
downhill that they have to truck food in to feed the inhabitants.

Sort of analagous to a real estate developer visiting France, and
buying that nice island across the channel for five Sony Walkman
stereos and a Michael Jackson tape.

Hutch

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/18/85)

> > If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
> > has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
> > arranged.
>
>    I don't remember where I read this, but it seems that the Indians that sold
> Manhatten didn't own it, i.e. they lived on the island only a few monthes of the
> year.  They sold it while the primary resdents were off on their annual hunting
> trip.  It was a swindle!
>
> --
>
> 	Barry Buchbinder

Now then I have these really neat little seeds (they come in a brite yellow
box) and they look like little donuts - you plant them in the ground,...
water well and pretty soon you have a donut shop of our very own..

each box sell for only 24.95 (plus illinois sales tax) and you get
several thousand of the seeds (just incase of inclement weather)

The brand name of the seeds?

Oh well there called

Cheerios

(;-)><={|