[net.women] Why women avoid "dangerous jobs"!?

eagan@druxp.UUCP (EaganMS) (06/19/85)

>In article <457@unc.UUCP> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:
>>In article <ucbvax.8204> fagin@ucbvax.UUCP (Barry Steven Fagin) writes:
>>>From Jennifer Roback, an economist at Yale, commenting on the "59c"
>>>
>>>"Actually, many of the factors that contribute to the earnings gap are the
>>>result of personal choices made by women themselves, not decisions thrust
>>>on them by bosses.  The most important example is marriage."
>>
>>One other factor is that women tend to choose occupations with greater
>>nonmonetary benefits which may compensate for the lower pay scales.  That is,
>>women more often choose occupations which center around helping other people
>>and cooperating with them (teacher, nurse, secretary, social worker).
>>The direct gratitude from the helpee satisfies some of the woman's social needs
>>Men more often find themselves in occupations which either isolate them
>>from other people, or pits them in anxiety-provoking competition.
>>Some of these higher paying "men's jobs" are dirty and dangerous as well.

Ha! How about women who choose to go into those "more dangerous" jobs
and have to also extend extra effort to gain the respect of the men who
try to make them feel uncomfortable enough to quickly leave that area
of work?
This reminds me of the time I just graduated college.
While applying for professional jobs, and waiting to hear from
Grad schools I decided to earn some money.
So, I applied for a job selling shoes in a sporting
goods store (a large chain).
The manager of the store hired me.
When the manager of the SPORTING SHOE DEPT met me on my first
day he said to me "why do you want to work here, this is a MAN's job!?
You're going to have to carry boxes and climb ladders! And, you'll
be the only female in this department."
I  was shocked that he should say this, and I found that as I met the other
men in the dept they treated me the same way. One man, infact, tried
to make me cry one day, and when I told him off he stood back and apoligized.
I ended up selling more shoes than any of the men there; and I also had
to spend much effort defending my right to work in that dept since the
other men did not want me there.
Yes, you might say I had to work twice as hard as the men to prove I
was worthy of staying.
Maybe I should have been paid MORE than the men since just being a female
caused me extra grief, and for my extra efforts of proving my worthiness.
Then you say women choose these nuturing professions because they
get more satisfaction from them?
Maybe this is the case sometimes, but maybe it also has to do with women
having to put up with the types of attitudes I had to when I sold shoes.
Is it worth it?

Whatever the reason though, I don't think those "nuturing professions"
should be paid less since I know enough women in those professions,and
they are NOT easy.

Marianne Eagan