[net.women] The funny thing about the opponents of AA

regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) (06/13/85)

To all you people out there who oppose AA, on whatever grounds:

One of these days, it is going to be your lover, or your best friend
who is turned down, passed over, unhired, etc., on the basis of sex
or race.

Assuming, just for the sake of argument, that you are male, and the
person in question is female, and you are married, that discrimination is
going to affect your ability to buy the home of your (collective) choice,
to send your kids to the school of your (collective) choice, the afforda-
bility of taking the time off to launch your own business, etc., etc., etc.

_You_ may never be discriminated against.   But you do not live in a vacuum.

Give it some thought, and lets hear the alternatives.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (06/14/85)

In article <482@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:

>One of these days, it is going to be your lover, or your best friend
>who is turned down, passed over, unhired, etc., on the basis of sex
>or race.
>
>_You_ may never be discriminated against.   But you do not live in a vacuum.

Seems to me this argument can cut both ways.  My SO could just as well lose
out  on  a  job  because they're a WASP and the company has a quota to meet
with a limited number of job openings.

AA doesn't live in a vacuum either.
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                          "How goes the rat race?"
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                 "The rats are winning."
Santa Monica, CA  90405                               -- Paul Lynde
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

fagin@ucbvax.ARPA (Barry Steven Fagin) (06/15/85)

In article <482@ttidcc.UUCP> regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:

>To all you people out there who oppose AA, on whatever grounds:
>
>One of these days, it is going to be your lover, or your best friend
>who is turned down, passed over, unhired, etc., on the basis of sex
>or race.
>
>Assuming, just for the sake of argument, that you are male, and the
>person in question is female, and you are married, that discrimination is
>going to affect your ability to buy the home of your (collective) choice,
>to send your kids to the school of your (collective) choice, the afforda-
>bility of taking the time off to launch your own business, etc., etc., etc.
>
>_You_ may never be discriminated against.   But you do not live in a vacuum.

My wife just graduated from law school, and is looking for work after
being denied a position at a law firm where she worked over the summer.
Because she's not working yet, we're still living in a small apartment
and indeed cannot afford the home of our choice.  Our childrearing plans
are also uncertain.  Whether she did not get a job offer because
of her sex we will never know, but neither my wife nor I would even
consider the ludicrous thought that we have some right to dictate in
*ANY* way the hiring practices of a prospective employer.

The implication from the above posting is that we'd support AA if we
saw that we could benefit from it.  At least in our case, that is
untrue.

--Barry
--
Barry Fagin @ University of California, Berkeley

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (06/16/85)

Assume, just for the sake of argument that you are male and the person
in question is a member of the class/race that benefits from
AA and they get the job and you don't.  That discrimination is
going to affect your ability to buy the home of your *individual*
choice, to send your kids to the school of your *individual* choice,
etc., etc....

_You_ may have been discriminated against.  That doesn't mean that
now, discrimination is good, as long as *you* benefit.

I belong to the group that gets taken from it whatever goes
to the beneficiaries of AA.   Now tell me again how much I should
enjoy helping a less qualified person than myself get the job I was
after, by helping to support such a sexist/racist policy as AA.

Ross

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

I highly doubt that Time Inc. they would make me their spokesperson.
------
"There's something wrong in the world. There's always been. Something no one
has ever named or explained" --- Francisco d'Anconia

mom@sftri.UUCP (Mark Modig) (06/16/85)

> To all you people out there who oppose AA, on whatever grounds:
>
> One of these days, it is going to be your lover, or your best friend
> who is turned down, passed over, unhired, etc., on the basis of sex
> or race.
>
> _You_ may never be discriminated against.   But you do not live in a vacuum.
>
> Give it some thought, and lets hear the alternatives.

I've already voiced my thoughts several times on this issue-- I
think the problem should be vigorously attacked on an educational
basis.

I have no quarrel with AA, but rather with the implementation currently
in wide use, which focuses a lot on the workplace.  I feel that when
this approach is logically extended, some form of quota system is
unavoidable.  How else are you to measure progress?

I am not even against quotas or goals per se: for example, I would
be much more receptive to the idea that every school in an area
(eventually the entire country) would have to reach a certain
level of competency as demonstrated by test scores (granted, not a
terrific yardstick, but perhaps the best we have at this point?).
Schools doing considerably better than the norm would be studied so
that their methods could be applied at schools doing less well, and
perhaps even teachers could be moved around-- trying to ensure that
all schools give their students an equal education.

This still avoids perhaps the most important part of the problem--
individual attitudes.  How these are to be changed (alas-- I can't
agree to brainwashing the whole population) I am really not sure--
it will have to be a grass roots sort of change-- since the change
involves the attitudes of individuals, individuals are going to
have to stand up and fight for their beliefs.

That's about it.

Mark Modig
ihnp4!sftri!mom

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Danger Mouse) (06/17/85)

-> One of these days, it is going to be your lover, or your best friend
-> who is turned down, passed over, unhired, etc., on the basis of sex
-> or race.

-> Assuming, just for the sake of argument, that you are male, and the
-> person in question is female, and you are married, that discrimination is
-> going to affect your ability to buy the home of your (collective) choice,
-> to send your kids to the school of your (collective) choice, the afforda-
-> bility of taking the time off to launch your own business, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah, right.

I can see the problems my (as yet to be determined) wife
and I will have in the future.  AA is fully implemented, and
we can't buy the home of our choice or send our kids to a
good school, etc. all because *I*, a WHITE MALE, though completely
qualified, can't get a job.  They give them all to equally qualified
"minorities".

			SJBerry

robertp@fear.UUCP (Robert Plamondon) (06/18/85)

In article <482@ttidcc.UUCP>, regard@ttidcc.UUCP (Adrienne Regard) writes:

> To all you people out there who oppose AA, on whatever grounds:
>
> One of these days, it is going to be your lover, or your best friend
> who is turned down, passed over, unhired, etc., on the basis of sex
> or race.

It *IS* funny, isn't it? Some of us stick by our principles even when
it's not to our advantage.  Silly us -- to have ethics in an amoral
world.
--
		-- Robert Plamondon
		   {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!robertp

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (06/21/85)

I can't resist relating the story of a good friend of mine
(who was black):

He had just graduated an ivy league college with straight A's, had two
published books, one had gone on to paperback (if you don't know the
publishing industry, that takes good sales.)  Numerous published
articles, guest columns in some of the most widely circulated magazines
and newspapers in the country, need I go on? Hi boards, you bet, well
spoken etc, you bet...

He got into a good law school, a professor there took him aside to
mention to him how much he resented his presence as a 'quota' student
(which he wasn't except maybe in the statistics, certainly not as was
meant by the callous remark: ie. that he hadn't earned his class place.)
No, the prof didn't know what he was talking about, just flaming.

UGGGH! I get embarrassed for humanity just thinking about it!

I know, you'll say "he's not what we are talking about, it's the
unqualified ones...". I'll say, most of you don't know *what* you are
talking about, you're just trying to cover up cruelty with facile equity
arguments. Qualifications are not carved in stone, I do hiring here and
I have never hired two people for exactly the same reasons or criteria.

It's a nice fantasy to think you hire only based on (whatever impersonal
objective abstractions you think are 'fair'.) B******T, when you give a
person a job you are doing two things 1) you are providing a person to
your organization who should perform some task and 2) you are
influencing that person and the world around them. Anyone who won't take
(2) into account is too small minded to be working as management.
Whaddya think, the only time you make 'social' decisions is when you
walk into a voting booth? Grow up.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University