[net.women] clothing; gender implications

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (06/08/85)

Hmm...had some ideas floating around in my head, which may or may not
make sense, but here goes:

Re:  gender-specific language, specifically the implications of "fireman,"
etc.

Considering the effect that television is supposed to have on society,
which I'm not sure of one way or another, might it be a good idea to
use this to change the ideas of people (esp. children) that these are
"male" jobs, by showing them with at least equal numbers of males and
females, in comparable positions?  (just a random thought...)

Re: provocative clothing

When the weather is warm, I like to go around in shorts and top of
some sort, leotard, t-shirt, etc.  I am consistently informed by my
mother that this is provocative, and just "asking for rape."  I do
most of my travelling by walking or riding the bus/BART.  Now, let's
play with figures.  1 in 4 women raped (I'm just taking this from what
I have seen on here).  All the following is guesswork as to figures.
Say that each rapist has twenty victims.  This makes 1 in 80 men a
rapist.  This is assuming equal numbers of men and women, which I
realize is not the case, but it's close enough for wild guesswork.

So, I'm in provocative clothing.  I get onto a crowded MUNI bus,
walk through the city, grab a BART train, go bookshopping in
Berkeley, back home through the same path.  During this time, I
encounter at least 400 people, ~200 men.  Which makes it 2-3
rapists.  (The route I have described covers many different areas,
some good, some not-so-good, some bad).

Now, I have been dressing lightly in the heat for a long time, but
certainly all the time I have lived in California, which makes it
6 years.  The weather is very warm at least one month of the year.
so, 30 days, 60-90 rapists, for 6 years, 360-540 rapists.

I'm also 5'8", 110 lbs, and totally out of shape from sitting at
a keyboard most of the time and never getting any exercise, other
than going for walks (*grin*).  So, I don't think I look very
intimidating, except maybe for my overstuffed purse.  Why have I
not been raped? (Don't tell me, let me guess, "I've been lucky,
SO FAR.")

                     Muffy

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/13/85)

> Re: provocative clothing
>
> When the weather is warm, I like to go around in shorts and top of
> some sort, leotard, t-shirt, etc.  I am consistently informed by my
> mother that this is provocative, and just "asking for rape."  I do
> most of my travelling by walking or riding the bus/BART.  Now, let's
> play with figures.  1 in 4 women raped (I'm just taking this from what
> I have seen on here).  All the following is guesswork as to figures.
> Say that each rapist has twenty victims.  This makes 1 in 80 men a
> rapist.  This is assuming equal numbers of men and women, which I
> realize is not the case, but it's close enough for wild guesswork.

More likely (from what I have read) each rapist about 200 victims.  That
would make 1 in 800 men a rapist.

> So, I'm in provocative clothing.  I get onto a crowded MUNI bus,
> walk through the city, grab a BART train, go bookshopping in
> Berkeley, back home through the same path.  During this time, I
> encounter at least 400 people, ~200 men.  Which makes it 2-3
> rapists.  (The route I have described covers many different areas,
> some good, some not-so-good, some bad).
>
> Now, I have been dressing lightly in the heat for a long time, but
> certainly all the time I have lived in California, which makes it
> 6 years.  The weather is very warm at least one month of the year.
> so, 30 days, 60-90 rapists, for 6 years, 360-540 rapists.
>
> I'm also 5'8", 110 lbs, and totally out of shape from sitting at
> a keyboard most of the time and never getting any exercise, other
> than going for walks (*grin*).  So, I don't think I look very
> intimidating, except maybe for my overstuffed purse.  Why have I
> not been raped? (Don't tell me, let me guess, "I've been lucky,
> SO FAR.")
>
>                      Muffy

Not lucky --- you've been in places where a rapist is not likely to
attempt a crime for fear of being caught or identified.  No one is
claiming that provocative clothing causes the rapists to "lose control".
It does seem likely that it may encourage a rapist to commit a rape
if he doesn't think he will get caught.

muffy@lll-crg.ARPA (Muffy Barkocy) (06/16/85)

In article <236@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP writes:
>> Now, let's
>> play with figures.  1 in 4 women raped (I'm just taking this from what
>> I have seen on here).  All the following is guesswork as to figures.
>> Say that each rapist has twenty victims.  This makes 1 in 80 men a
>> rapist.  This is assuming equal numbers of men and women, which I
>> realize is not the case, but it's close enough for wild guesswork.
>>

>More likely (from what I have read) each rapist about 200 victims.  That
>would make 1 in 800 men a rapist.

Seriously? Where have you read this?  Can anyone else come up with some
figures on this?  Also, of convicted rapists, what is the average number
each has committed?  How does this compare?

>Not lucky --- you've been in places where a rapist is not likely to
>attempt a crime for fear of being caught or identified.  No one is
>claiming that provocative clothing causes the rapists to "lose control".
>It does seem likely that it may encourage a rapist to commit a rape
>if he doesn't think he will get caught.

Actually, I thought that that was the basis of the "provocative clothing"
question..."Oh, seeing her dressed that way just made me lose control"

                                           Muffy

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (06/21/85)

> In article <236@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP writes:
> >> Now, let's
> >> play with figures.  1 in 4 women raped (I'm just taking this from what
> >> I have seen on here).  All the following is guesswork as to figures.
> >> Say that each rapist has twenty victims.  This makes 1 in 80 men a
> >> rapist.  This is assuming equal numbers of men and women, which I
> >> realize is not the case, but it's close enough for wild guesswork.
> >>

> >More likely (from what I have read) each rapist about 200 victims.  That
> >would make 1 in 800 men a rapist.
>
> Seriously? Where have you read this?  Can anyone else come up with some
> figures on this?  Also, of convicted rapists, what is the average number
> each has committed?  How does this compare?

I first read this figure in an article in newspaper some years ago --- they
were quoting some psychiatrist back East.  I've lost count of the number of
rapists I've seen articles about in the newspaper who after conviction on
dozens of rapes, the police indicated that they were unable to prove *hundreds*
of rapes committed by the same criminal.

> >Not lucky --- you've been in places where a rapist is not likely to
> >attempt a crime for fear of being caught or identified.  No one is
> >claiming that provocative clothing causes the rapists to "lose control".
> >It does seem likely that it may encourage a rapist to commit a rape
> >if he doesn't think he will get caught.
>
> Actually, I thought that that was the basis of the "provocative clothing"
> question..."Oh, seeing her dressed that way just made me lose control"
>

>                                            Muffy

Read the ongoing debate on net.women, and you will see that no one (at least
to my knowledge) has made this assertion --- but an awful lot of people
keep claiming that I, among others, have made this assertion.  It comes from
people *not reading* before they react.