[net.women] Mensa people

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (06/20/85)

Regarding the ongoing discussion of Mensa, and the qualities of the
Mensans some posters have encountered:

The latest Playboy has a pointer on the last page to the following
month's contents -- one of the features is to be "The Girls of Mensa".

So maybe you can evaluate some of the membership without attending a
meeting... :-)

Will

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (06/21/85)

>-- one of the features is to be "The Girls of Mensa".
>                                     ^^^^^

Or it might well say "Women" instead of "Girls" -- thought I'd post this
myself before someone else flames about it. (I believe Playboy's
"survey" features always used to be called "The Girls of ..." and were
changed to "The Women of ..." a while ago.)

This might be a good example of the language changing when the attitude
doesn't! :-)

Will

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (06/21/85)

In article <11309@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:

>The latest Playboy has a pointer on the last page to the following
>month's contents -- one of the features is to be "The Girls of Mensa".

I don't recall seeing  anything  about  this  in  any  Mensa  publications.
Playboy  has  at  least a six month lead time on articles while the lead on
the Mensa Bulletin (the national magazine)  is  only  one  or  two  months.
You'd think they'd have said something if they knew about it.

I think I'll get that Playboy and check the  names  of  the  "Mensa  Girls"
against  the  Mensa  Register.  I  wonder  what the home-office lawyers are
going to think of this.

(Note:  Mensans come from all walks of life,  including  more  than  a  few
former  and  present  Playboy  bunnies.  I'm just wondering why the general
membership never heard about this).
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                         Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405              one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) (06/29/85)

In article <497@ttidcc.UUCP> hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) writes:
>In article <11309@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:
>>
>>The latest Playboy has a pointer on the last page to the following
>>month's contents -- one of the features is to be "The Girls of Mensa".
>
>I think I'll get that Playboy and check the  names  of  the  "Mensa  Girls"
>against  the  Mensa  Register.  I  wonder  what the home-office lawyers are
>going to think of this.

Why?  Can people be ousted from Mensa by appearing in the nude?

I wonder what Vanessa Williams is going to think of this. :-)
--
                                      Al Schwartz
                                      Pacesetter Systems Inc., Sylmar, CA

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (07/01/85)

In article <525@psivax.UUCP> al@psivax.UUCP (Al Schwartz) writes:
>>I think I'll get that Playboy and check the  names  of  the  "Mensa  Girls"
>>against  the  Mensa  Register.  I  wonder  what the home-office lawyers are
>>going to think of this.
>>
>Why?  Can people be ousted from Mensa by appearing in the nude?

Heavens, no!  In fact, I coordinate the local nudist SIG in Los Angeles.

"Mensa", on the other hand, is a registered trademark.  Its use by  Playboy
has  legal  implications.  Of  course,  the Home Office is usually happy to
accept any free publcity.  I was just wondering why the general  membership
hadn't  heard  about this from them.  No call went out for model candidates
that I know of.  So where and how did Playboy find them?

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (07/02/85)

From: al@psivax ? (Al Schwartz)
>>I think I'll get that Playboy and check the  names  of  the  "Mensa  Girls"
>>against  the  Mensa  Register.  I  wonder  what the home-office lawyers are
>>going to think of this.
>>
>Why?  Can people be ousted from Mensa by appearing in the nude?

No, but Playboy could be in violation of some law or other (probably having
to do with fraud or false advertising) if the women aren't Mensa members.

						-Dragon
--
UUCP: ...ucbvax!dual!lll-crg!dragon
ARPA: monica.cellio@cmu-cs-cad or dragon@lll-crg