[net.women] topics of marriage

nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) (06/28/85)

> "Actually, many of the factors that contribute to the earnings gap are the
> result of personal choices made by women themselves, not decisions thrust
> on them by bosses.  The most important example is marriage."

Again the advantage goes to the male...ever heard anyone discuss the factor
of marriage as detrimental to a male's salary?

Changing the subject somewhat...

To all of you who have been discussing marriage of "girls," I would like to
comment: "girls" don't get married; "women" do.

Don't bother to flame--I'm going on vacation and won't be reading the net.
Considering my eroding sense of humor, I think I need it!  :-)

Nancy Parsons

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (07/02/85)

In article <892@druxo.UUCP> nap@druxo.UUCP (ParsonsNA) writes:

>> "Actually, many of the factors that contribute to the earnings gap are the
>> result of personal choices made by women themselves, not decisions thrust
>> on them by bosses.  The most important example is marriage."
>
>Again the advantage goes to the male...ever heard anyone discuss the factor
>of marriage as detrimental to a male's salary?

   From my admittedly skewed perspective (that of a young, white, single male),
it seems that all other factors being relatively equal, the married man gets
the job/raise/promotion much more readily than the single man.  After all, he
is responsible (the key word) for his, his wife's, and all the up-coming
children's welfare, whereas single men are extremely irresponsible
(consider things like auto insurance rates).

--
 - joel "vo" plutchak
{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster

"Take what I say in a different way and it's easy to say that this is
all confusion."