[net.women] Arranged Marriages Questions

sunil@ut-ngp.UUCP (Sunil Trivedi) (06/06/85)

	Another friend of mine is off to India to do what
	he must: get himself a wife.  I asked him whether
	he had a particular girl in mind to which he re-
	plied, "My family will find a girl for me."

	Has anyone ever wondered why "arranged" marriages
	are so popular with the 'educated' when 'love'
	marriages are on the rise? And why was it so pop-
	ular in the past?

					      Sunil Trivedi
					    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
					...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil

phaedrus@eneevax.UUCP (Pravin) (06/06/85)

Umm...I am not an expert on the topic (having lived here most of my life)
but, I have talked to my parents (who had an arranged wedding) about it.

My mom claims that to a certain extent arranged marriages are more fun
and end up a lot more successful than `love' marriages because:

1)  One has very few expectations, so one is usually very adjusting.

2)  Most of the fun (initially anyway) is finding out about each other
    (ie, getting to know each other).

And because one has very few expectations, I guess you accept the other
person easily.  Of course, I am not talking about the 100,000 rupee dowry
cases...there, somebody is expecting a hell of a lot.

Finally, the traditional and cultural aspect of the whole thing.  This
thing has been going on for (I presume) thousands of years and it's
probably built into many people's psyche.  If one is brought up in an
environment where that is the norm, one isn't going to change his point
of view just because he is `educated'.  Anyway, I don't think that
education and arranged marriages are mutually exclusive.

Rambled a bit...sorry.

--
			Pravin Kumar

Don't bother me! I'm on an emergency third rail power trip.

ARPA:   phaedrus!eneevax@maryland
UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!eneevax!phaedrus

sohail@terak.UUCP (Sohail M. Hussain) (06/07/85)

> 	Another friend of mine is off to India to do what
> 	he must: get himself a wife.  I asked him whether
> 	he had a particular girl in mind to which he re-
> 	plied, "My family will find a girl for me."
>
> 	Has anyone ever wondered why "arranged" marriages
> 	are so popular with the 'educated' when 'love'
> 	marriages are on the rise?

Being 'educated', for people from our part of the world, almost
implies that the person came here to study, this ofcourse imples
that the person grew up 'back in the old country', and thus has
a lot of beliefs, and follows our customs and heritage.

This kind of a person would not really be happy with a 'western'
girl, or even a 'westernized' girl. So what is he to do. He can go
home and try to find a bride, fall in love, etc, etc. (though this
is not the kind of thing that this person would do),

But falling in love takes time, and typically when this person goes
home, he does not really have time for this, Lets face it, how long
a leave can you get, when you go home, a few weeks at most.

So what is he to do, he must rely on his family to find him a girl.

sohail
--
Sohail Hussain

uucp:	 ...{decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!terak!sohail
phone:	 602 998 4800
us mail: Terak Corporation, 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

niyogi@sunybcs.UUCP (Debashish Niyogi) (06/08/85)

> 	Has anyone ever wondered why "arranged" marriages
> 	are so popular with the 'educated' when 'love'
> 	marriages are on the rise?

I too am surprised at the fact that after having lived independently for
several years in this country, a few people still don't want to take the
responsibility of choosing their own mates. They have presumably made many
important decisions independently in the past few years (the decision to
come to a place 10000 miles away from 'home' cannot be an insignificant one),
So why leave one of the most important life decisions to others ?

I have a feeling that those who do this (let their parents/relatives choose
their mates for them) somehow lack the self-confidence to make their own
decisions. To put it simply, it's a cop-out. The sentiment here seems to be :
"If I let my parents find a bride/groom for me, I won't have to go through
the trouble of finding one myself". I'm glad that when Sunil referred to these
'educated' people, he put the 'educated' in quotes, because that's exactly
how I feel about it. The essence of education is to be able to make mature
decisions and judgements, and these people who let themselves get married to
someone they barely know, can hardly be called educated in that sense.

Most of my friends in the U.S. (the married ones, that is) did not have
"arranged" marriages. That makes me feel good; I know I have friends who are
truly educated. And you can bet your diamond wedding ring that when I marry,
it won't be an "arranged" marriage.

--

---  Debashish Niyogi

UUCP  : {burdvax,rocksvax,bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksanne,watmath}!sunybcs!niyogi
CSNET : niyogi@buffalo              ##  Computer Science Dept.,SUNY at Buffalo,
ARPA  : niyogi%buffalo@csnet-relay  ##  226 Bell Hall, Amherst, NY 14260.
BITNET: niyogi@sunybcs              ##  (716)-636-3197

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) (06/11/85)

> 	Has anyone ever wondered why "arranged" marriages
> 	are so popular with the 'educated' when 'love'
> 	marriages are on the rise? And why was it so pop-
> 	ular in the past?
>

> 					      Sunil Trivedi
> 					    sunil@ut-ngp.ARPA
> 					...!ut-sally!ut-ngp!sunil

Stop wondering. Try it. You just may like it; I should know.......

By the way, ever wondered why the "arranged" marriages hold on while
those based on "love" have a greater probability to breakup ?
I think it is because when the basis of "love marriages" (i.e. LOVE)
evaporates, so do the marriages. On the other hand the "arranged"
marriages keep on going strong because they never were based on
such fragile a thing as "love".

Oh boy! Did I say all that? It's only Monday.

Jai Hind.....

--

Deepak S. Sabnis ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,nsc}!amdahl!dss00    (408) 746-6058

(Usual Disclaimer Here)

dss00@amdahl.UUCP (dss00) (06/11/85)

> I have a feeling that those who do this (let their parents/relatives choose
> their mates for them) somehow lack the self-confidence to make their own
> decisions.

You got it all screwed up buddy. Parents in these situations
usually do the initial screening to see various things that
affect compatibility. Unless one is a total moron (in which case
one wouldn't have gone far with education either), the final
decision is with the involved personalities.

> To put it simply, it's a cop-out. The sentiment here seems to be :
> "If I let my parents find a bride/groom for me, I won't have to go through
> the trouble of finding one myself". I'm glad that when Sunil referred to these
> 'educated' people, he put the 'educated' in quotes, because that's exactly
> how I feel about it. The essence of education is to be able to make mature
> decisions and judgements, and these people who let themselves get married to
> someone they barely know, can hardly be called educated in that sense.
>
> ---  Debashish Niyogi

One of the signs of intellectual adulthood is realization of the fact
that there are no absolute truths. Education has nothing to do with
"CONFORMITY". As a matter of fact if education forces me to conform
*completely* with any established ideology, I think it has failed in
its main purpose. Whether you marry someone you met at school
or workplace or in the neighborhood (ala "love marriage");
or a person you selected from amongst those your parents screened
and you later met (ala "arranged marriage") is for you to decide.
Both systems have their merits and demerits. Ridiculing anyone's
intelligence or education merely because he or she chooses one way
over the other is only a sign of intellectual extremism and
ideological intolerance. These are personal choices.

Jai Jawaan, Jai Kisaan...........
--

gupta@ucbcad.UUCP (Rajesh Gupta) (06/11/85)

> 	Another friend of mine is off to India to do what
> 	he must: get himself a wife.  I asked him whether

One reason why Arranged marriages are so successful is that they
carry a kind of sanctity which many of the so-called love marriages
lack. Arranged marriages are not just passing the responsibility
to your parents ("cop-out") nor an indication of a lack of confidence.
In a typical situation, one's parents have a wider social contact
and are likely to meet a great many persons than just your "class-
mate(s)".
Regarding "maturity" of the choice: who can know and
understand you better than your parents? No wonder most Arranged
marriages end up  being a more sensible choice of partners.

Rajesh Gupta
Berkeley

gupta@ucbcad.ARPA

linda@amdcad.UUCP (Linda Seltzer) (06/13/85)

As an American reading this newsgroup, it was interesting to hear the
comment "who can understand you better than your parents?".

If the son or daughter gets along well with the parents, then
an arranged marriage does not sound like a bad idea.  The parents
might know some very nice people.  However, if the young person does
not get along well with the parents, then problems could most
probably occur.  In my own life in the U.S. I was always interested
in the arts professionally and my parents completely opposed it.
Of course, my friends are always people who love the arts,
and my parents hated such people.  The thought of an arranged
marriage would be a disaster.  I have a friend who comes from a
family in which many of the people are in medical professions -
M.D., physical therapist, etc.  He met his wife through his sister,
and his wife was also in a medical profession.

I wonder whether arranged marriages mean that wealthy people
always marry each other and low income people always marry each other.
For people who come from a low income or less educated family,
in this country
one looks forward to the opportunity to marry someone who might
be a little better off or who has more education.

dave@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Bharat Dave) (06/15/85)

Whoever told you that *love*  marriages are on the rise ? And what is
wrong in being *educated* and not falling in love and into a marriage ?
Look around and check the divorce rate of those supposedly *love*
marriages. There is no guarantee either which way, no matter who does
the arranging.

As to why were the arranged marriages popular, traditionally, we had/have
joint families. A new member *joins* a family whenever one of the family
sons gets married and hence the family had the right to arrange. Besides,
in the golden past, men and women believed in the wisdom of the elders ...
now I would not ask why ... do you ever wonder why people live as
*companions*, as *partners*, and not get *married* ?
..... there, it was/is a way of life.

*LOVE* has been a sparse commodity (check any cultural history), braced
only by very privileged or very foolhardy ! That is history, not my view
of the world !! Wonder about THAT !

:: NO, I do not believe in arranged marriages, just that I do not think
   there is anything *abnormal* in it, either.

					Bharat Dave
					dave@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA

pc@hplabsb.UUCP (06/26/85)

	There are probably more not-for-love marriages in existence
than the romantic would like to believe.  It seems to depend on your
expectations about marriage (and partnership).  I have known men of
Western-cultures who went at marriage as they would a car purchase:
a checklist of musts and preferences, then the one with the best cost/
performance gets the nod.  [Some women probably choose husbands the
same way.]  If the people in the marriage are to be functional partners,
there is no need for closeness, mutual admiration, or affection-- just
a kind of tolerance and some agreed-upon guidelines for behavior.

	My mom used to tell me that it's easier to marry someone you
really like but don't love than to marry someone you love but don't
like.  I think her point was that the passion of "love" ebbs and flows,
whereas a fundamental appreciation of the other person endures and
sustains.  My experience is that you'd better marry someone you really
admire AND love or you won't have enough resources to make that partnership
work.  But then, that's because I have high expectations for my marriage.

					Patricia Collins

--

					{ucbvax|duke|hao|allegra}!hplabs!pc

ganpaty@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (S.Ganapathy) (06/29/85)

From: pc@hplabsb.UUCP (Patricia Collins) Message-ID: <2987@hplabsb.UUCP>

> 	If the people in the marriage are to be functional partners,
> there is no need for closeness, mutual admiration, or affection-- just
> a kind of tolerance and some agreed-upon guidelines for behavior.

	A functional marraige is unlike a business partnership hence
the above statement does not seem to make much sense to me. I don't
intend to offend you.

> 	My mom used to tell me that it's easier to marry someone you
> really like but don't love than to marry someone you love but don't
> like.
	How can anyone marry someone that he/she likes but does not
love ? If the above situation can arise in an arranged marriage
then liking the person does not have any solid reason behind it.
The feeling could be just impulsive.  I also think that it is
extremely difficult to love a person that you don't like. Liking a
person I believe is a prerequisite to start loving him/her.

>  But then, that's because I have high expectations for my marriage.

	I hope your high expectations will be realized, but if they
do not then, then maybe these expectations should be reevaluated to
reflect the current trends and attitudes.

					   S.Ganapathy
				       ganpaty@ut-ngp.ARPA
				...!ihnp4!ut-sally!ut-ngp!ganpaty
				...!seismo!netword!ut-ngp!ganpaty

mokhtar@ubc-vision.CDN (Farzin Mokhtarian) (07/04/85)

>	There are probably more not-for-love marriages in existence
> than the romantic would like to believe.  It seems to depend on your
> expectations about marriage (and partnership).

It also depends on how much you believe in love or how much confidence
you have in love.

>						 I have known men of
> Western-cultures who went at marriage as they would a car purchase:
> a checklist of musts and preferences, then the one with the best cost/
> performance gets the nod.  [Some women probably choose husbands the
> same way.]  If the people in the marriage are to be functional partners,
> there is no need for closeness, mutual admiration, or affection-- just
> a kind of tolerance and some agreed-upon guidelines for behavior.

It is not as easy as you try to make it sound. Obviously it is possible to
make such a marriage "functional" but even people who settle for not-for-love
marriages would not say that there is "no need for affection" because
affection is a basic human need no matter how you reason about it. So if that
affection does not come from their "functional partner", they will have to
either look elsewhere for it or deny it to themselves.

>	My mom used to tell me that it's easier to marry someone you
> really like but don't love than to marry someone you love but don't like.

Did she tell you that it was also better?

>      I think her point was that the passion of "love" ebbs and flows,
> whereas a fundamental appreciation of the other person endures and
> sustains.

Was she speaking of her "love" or love in general? Obviously love is not
strong enough to last the realities of life, is it? In fact it is very
fragile. Almost as fragile as life is.

>           My experience is that you'd better marry someone you really
> admire AND love or you won't have enough resources to make that partnership
> work.  But then, that's because I have high expectations for my marriage.

>					Patricia Collins

Nicely said but why do I get the feeling you are preparing yourself mentally
for something more "functional/enduring/sustaining" than love?

   Farzin Mokhtarian
   ubc-vision!mokhtar

"Love is out of fashion now, but how come they still need it?"