[net.women] Most Bitter Attack on A Good Man

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (06/27/85)

> How about a new news group, net.music.rumor, for all you people who insist on
> sending stuff to every news group in the known universe.

Hear, hear.

Does *anybody* in most of these newsgroups know, or care, what this
exchange is all about?

The arbitrary labelling of groups does mean that things have to be
cross-posted sometimes.  And arbitrary labelling is inevitable.  But
common sense might be applied once in a while.  And I've heard a
rumour that it's possible to *edit* the newsgroup line of a posting,
to avoid sending something to (for example) net.singles or net.women
which belongs in net.flame or net.micro.

Maybe it's time for somebody to consider a regrouping of net.singles,
net.women, net.women.only, net.social and net.politics into something
else.  For example:  net.relationships, net.society, net.public-affairs,
net.liberation and net.cosmetics.  But that's just an idle suggestion,
and it still wouldn't get rid of the random flamers.

CAR

dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (06/29/85)

>> How about a new news group, net.music.rumor, for all you people who insist on
>> sending stuff to every news group in the known universe.

It's too bad that the news software doesn't prohibit people from putting
more than, say, two newsgroups on the "Newsgroups:" line!
--
Dana S. Nau,  Computer Science Dept.,  U. of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742
ARPA:  dsn@maryland				CSNet:  dsn@umcp-cs

dmmartindale@watcgl.UUCP (Dave Martindale) (06/30/85)

In article <255@tove.UUCP> dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) writes:

>It's too bad that the news software doesn't prohibit people from putting
>more than, say, two newsgroups on the "Newsgroups:" line!

Better yet would be to accept the article and then fail to forward it
to any other machines!

(no, I'm not serious, but I get really annoyed at such articles)

eli@cubsvax.UUCP (Eli Haddad) (07/02/85)

Newsgroups: net.singles,net.women,net.social
Subject:love
I a student at Columbia age 20. I am looking for a woman around my age
who still believes that love exists between a man and a woman.  Most
of the girls around here say that it is naive to think that two people
can love oneanother. I say that is bull.  So if you agree with me
please write. If you disagree please explain your reasons.
For those who agree maybe we can get together sometime?

weltyc@rpics.UUCP (Christopher A. Welty (weltyc@rpi)) (07/04/85)

>> How about a new news group, net.music.rumor, for all you people who insist on
>> sending stuff to every news group in the known universe.
>
> Hear, hear.
>
> Does *anybody* in most of these newsgroups know, or care, what this
> exchange is all about?

     I personally can't stand Kate Bush, and I don't care about her
albums.  Far be it from me to ban these fanatics from their right to
express their opinions...but to send it to sixty thousand groups consisting
of more people who don't know or care who the hell Kate Bush is than
people who do, is a little ridiculous...but then, I guess I just fell into
that trap, didn't I.

     ...uhhh....while I'm at it, anyone know when the next GENESIS album
is supposed to come out?